• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The sweetest roll…

Corey

First Post
The sweetest roll…

Everybody has one. It is that one time you, or someone else in your game, rolled the die when everything was on the line. When the plastic stopped moving, the result was so perfect you found yourself smiling and whistling happy tunes in the car on your way home.

I’m prepping a new campaign and got to thinking about the old ones. This particular moment came back to me, a decade after the event I’m still smiling about it.

Here it is:

It was the final battle of a long well-fought adventure. The bad guy and his cronies clashed with the heroes in a medium-sized room. Both sides were taking a beating, but neither side was gaining the upper hand.

Then, for some piece of logic that still eludes me, the party magic-user whips a fireball into the middle of the melee.

With the exception of one party member, everybody in the room was hit. The magic-user rolled very well on damage and everybody effected rolled miserably on saves. Just about everybody went down. No party deaths, we counted -10hp as death, but they were all in negative numbers.

Only two people were left standing.

In one corner: the main bad guy. A vampire who, though very low on hit points, required a +1 or better weapon to hit.

In the challenger’s corner: a first level wimp PC. It was the player’s first ever session and we had started her off at lvl 1 figuring after the battle she could get into the swing of things. I think she was a druid or something of that nature. The weapon she was holding was most definitely not +1.

As DM, I am not comfortable with wiping someone off the map in a no win situation not of their own creation. So I said, “Roll a twenty and you hit him.” Still tough, but the slim chance matched the party's predicament.

You know she did it.

The table erupted in cheers as Nosferatu expired and wimp set about reviving the party members. Even the magic-user was forgiven in the general back-slapping and dancing.

I would love to hear your stories.

Corey

Enkhidu

Explorer
actually have a couple of these stories, as I think everyone that has been gaming for over a decade has, but I'll share one of my favorites. But I warn you, this is a long one...

Let me preface this by saying that I hate trolls.

Well, we were heading down into the underdark (through the Night Below, if I remember right), and our path was blocked by a troll village. We, being morons, attempted to sneak through their encampment.

Like I said, we were morons. Oh well.

Well, to make a long story short, we were set upon by nearly the entire village, and things were going badly. Now, at the time, we were using our own modified version of the critical hit and fumble tables first presented in an early Dragon magazine (pre 100's I think), and one of the things we decided was to have really cinematic and earthshattering effects included in them. This was the battle that showed us that the table needed adjustment.

Anyway, the DM rolls a crit and everyone gasped (we've always played where the DM rolls in the open), and he picked up the % dice for the crit table.

BLAM! There it was, an 00.

On the crit tables, an 00 is simply labeled "Divine Intervention." Needless to say the whimpering started then. It didn't end until the DM announced that suddenly, the chamber was filled with a foul reek and all of the trolls began moving with blinding speed That's right, each and every troll was hasted. And I'm not talking about the namby pamby haste in 3rd ed, NOOOOOO. This was the Oh-my-god-I-can't-believe-it 2nd Ed haste. Double attacks. From a dozen trolls.

Ouch.

But the story is not over...

See, PC's were dropping like flies, and I being a dashing rogue of a dwarven thief - and certified chicken - used my dust of disappearance to blink out of sight. Soon, all that was left was myself, and our bastion of goodness, the Paladin, Hanover McGroin (yes, we were a silly bunch), and he had hit points in the single digits.

Hanover's player proceeds to roll a 20. The cheering began. Then he picked up the % dice and proceeded to roll, you guessed it, another 00. Once again, "Divine Intervention."

After a few moments thought, where suggestions were made willy nilly over what should happen, the DM announces that the chamber is filled with a blinding light, and Hanover pulses with magical energy. He is held motionless while the DM describes each troll writhing in agony as the Paladin's god punishes the trolls, and Holds them. Only problem - the Paladin is held as well.

Then the bad news shows up in the form of a troll chieftan, who makes right for the held paladin with a look like the dinner bell was just rung, so I tell the DM I'm moving behind it and backstabbing it.

Now, before I go any further, I should tell you that I'm not a very good roller. The bad luck I have with dice is nigh unto legendary in our gaming circle. So naturally, everyone groans as I shake the die in my hand on high and ready the throw.

Until Hanover's player says, "No, Steve, use this die."

The look on his face was full of earnest power, almost pleading with me to use his lucky die instead of one of my thrice cursed heap.

Well, I did, and wouldn't you know, that dang thing came through. 20, followed by a 73 on %, good wnough for triple damage (on top of the triple damage from the backstab, too!) And, as we were still using real multiplication of backstabs and triple damage, you can imagine exctly how nasty that strike was - 86 points nasty, if I remember correctly.

Needless to say that's a story told to anyone who ever games with us...

maddman75

First Post
This is from the 2e days, but I'll always remember this moment.

I had an assassin, my buddy had a drow ranger (we were in high school :) ). Like I said 2e, so assassins didn't have to be evil, just non-good. There was this crazy gnome fighter/illusionist stalking us. We hear him and spread out.

I stick to the shadows and get one of my poisoned arrows ready (death or 20!). The gnome gets the drop on him. He's improved invisible and puts a dagger up to the drow's throat. He demands that I surrender or he'll kill the drow.

The drow uses his fairy fire to light up the gnome's head. Having a target, I take aim and fire. Though I did get a +2 for the fire, between the gnome being invisible and the cover he was getting from my buddy I needed an 18 to hit him. The die rolled down and came up 20.

The arrow struck the invisible assassin right between the eyes.

Maraxle

First Post
I once played a rogue of low to marginal strength. In a solo adventure, he was forced to break into a fort to rescue a captured party member (his best friend). At one point, he desperately needed to pull this gigantic lever in order to close the porticullis, blocking the advance of some guards. Well, he manages to roll a 2, 3, 4, 3, and by then the DM's patience ran out, and the guards were there. They beat him down and throw him into the cell next to his compatriot. He manages to make it out, after several battles, dragging his injured friend. He gets to the very same porticullis with guards hot in pursuit. Unfortunately for him, it's now closed, blocking his path. What do I roll in my attempt to open it? Yup, natural 20.

Remove ads