The Swords of Imarr: A low-level swords & sorcery game

mps42

First Post
Denther Mosie backstory

I grew up in a small village outside the city of Port Khemi. Just my father Ered, my mother Maala, myself and my young sister Feeli. It wasn’t much of a village but we called it home. Van Karti was a stern master and King Julah even more so, but, as long as you pay your tithes and follow The Law, you’ll be all right. My childhood, or at least what I remember of it, was happy. I would go out into my father’s fields and run amongst the waving wheat fields, chasing mice or playing at battles with the feirce crow legions.
When I reached my 15th winter, Ered said it was time for me to learn a trade. I always felt welcome in the outdoors so I chose that of a herder. I thought this would be a fairly simple life, riding a Rowahb through the lands, keeping a lazy eye on the goata or whatever needing looking after.
My trainer, Sherpas, killed that dream the first day. ”Go follow the goata,” he said, ”and find their dried droppings.” ”Why would I...” was as far as I got when I felt a blinding pain in my head. I hadn't even seen his hand move. ”The only answer you should need is ’because you were instructed to’ but, because Ered is a old friend of mine, I will answer your question this once: Dried goata droppings, properly cared for and kept dry, will burn better than the finest wood. On a cold night, it may be all that stands between you and freezing to death.” With that, he kicked me out into the goata fields.
I learned many lessons that year: How to ride, how to track the herd, how to climb the steppes on lookout and, most importantly, how to keep my mouth shut when Sherpas told me to do something. It was nearing my elevation from initiate that the defining moment in my life came.
I was getting ready to be moved to my own herd when the news came, my family had disappeared. Sherpas was nearly as devastated as I was and willingly let me leave to see to my fathers’ land. I rode for days on end to get back home. When I got there, all that was left was a smoldering husk of the house where I grew up. There were no bodies, no animals, no signs of life at all. The only thing I did find was a single right-handprint, apparently left in blood, stamped on the corner of the house. I asked everyone in the village, no one knew anything more than I and no one knew who the handprint might belong to or what it might mean. I went back to Sherpas and he told me that it was my duty to find my family and those who’d destroyed my land. At that point I couldn’t have agreed more.
He sent me to Wearda, a weaponsmaster, who trained me in the basics of swordplay with a battered arming sword he had available. I studied arduously, I wanted to be ready when I found the man or men I was looking for. At the end of the season, Wearda gave me enough money to by some basics and my own arming sword.
I told him this was more kindness than I had ever expected. Apparently Ered had had more friends than I knew. I rode all over Kartisland trying to find who or what this red right handprint might mean or who it might belong to. Everyone I spoke to said that they knew nothing. Some I suspected knew, but would not tell, even when threatened with my sword. Gradually, I moved north in to the lands of the overkingdom. I was now making my way tracking other men, while tracking my own, for local sheriffs. Tracking down men who they could not find. It paid enough to keep my belly full and gave me the opportunity to ask about the print. Still, no-one would talk. Eventually I ran low on money and began to despair for my family. I had made it all the way to Imarr, the great city.
There were more men here than I had ever seen in my life. People from lands that I had never even heard of, all different sizes and colors. But, as I was slowly starving, the street seemed paved only with sorrows.
One night, though, changed my fortunes, at least for the moment. An old man happened into the inn where I was nursing a small bowl of greul that I had bought with my last few coppers. He told me that I had a look of desperation about me and wondered if I would help him retrieve an item of his. At this point I would have agreed to rob the palace if it meant a full stomach. He gave me a small sack of coins and told him to meet him at the Meat and Gristle tavern one week from that night...

Last edited:

wysiwyg

First Post
Hi everyone. I am currently moving from the USA to the RSA (Republic of South Africa). With organizing the lift, packing, selling, including my PC, and all the other fun things I never want to go through again for the rest of my life, and the next one, I will be out of commission until about the 16th October.

Please feel free to roleplay my PC any way you like (he will not perform hari-kiri for honor's sake).

It's been fun, but duty calls.
Cheerios (goodbye not the cerial) for now.

S'mon

Legend
mps42 said:
Both Alyx and Faoil have mentioned previous run-ins with the local law enforcement. Is this something that Denther would be aware of or not. My suspicion is that the answer is no because he only goes after those That Muulsh the moneylender or the constable (whose name I currently cant find or remember) directs...

Answer is no unless you're informed otherwise. :)

Faoiltiarna

First Post
Wow, that was good :) It has inspired me to do the same with Faoil so that everyone has a clearer idea about her and some the flashes she has on occasion. I will get to work on it and then post it here.

rangerjohn

Explorer
GM: I reckon I'd like to take a break here for a bit and have a think about possible future scenarios involving your PCs, you could maybe email me off-list at simontmn@ntlworld.com with ideas, if I like them I'll maybe use some of them. I think I probably had too many PCs in this scenario though, in future I'll most likely want to do 1 or 2 things each involving 1 or 2 PCs.
I also want to avoid it being too linear, which can be a problem in dungeon-crawls.

Is this why you kept us, just shy of second level?

Last edited:

Faoiltiarna

First Post
The Story of Lady Faoiltiarna

Lady Faoiltiarna is the only child of the Lord Faolan and Lady Moriath of Wolf Heights. Her parents were murdered when she was only a few months old by a group of assassins led by the dark half-elf Himoos. Lord Faolan commanded his brother-in-law, Daray, to flee with Faoil and hide her someplace where she would be safe from danger. Before Daray left with the child, Faolan placed his Amulet about his daughter's neck after scratching her name upon the back in hopes it would lead her back to her birthright.

Daray fled into the Heartland with the infant girl and soon located the Hawk Manor and its residents. Questioning the local villagers, Daray discovered that the Lady of Hawk Manor had had a stillborn daughter and was deep in the thralls of grief. Certain this was the have to leave his niece, Daray left her in a basket at the gate of the manor and then fled to the coast in hopes of drawing the assassins away from Faoil and convincing them she was long gone from Imarr.

Faoil was raised by the couple, who were also the parents of Ciargain, Faoil's husband-to-be. When she was 20 years old, Ciargain and Faoil were wed. Shortly after their marriage, a groups of marauders/assassins led by the demon Zorn attacked Hawk Manor, killing Ciargain and his parents. Ciargain, in an attempt to save his family, hid Faoil in a secret escape tunnel and was about to retrieve his parents when Zorn kill him. The last memory that Faoil had of her husband was the look of shock upon his face and the face of the demon assassin behind Ciargain.

Swearing to avenge the death of the only family she had ever known, Faoil traced down each of marauders and killed them one by one. She finally tracked Zorn to the Meat and Gristle in the City of Imarr where she confronted him.

She demanded to know who sent him to kill her family. Zorn swore to lead her to the one who had ordered the attack on Hawk Manor for a price, Her. Faoil believing the demon meant he wanted to have her for a night, agreed to the price. Zorn led her into the sewers beneath the city to an empty chamber where some bones laid. Claiming he had fulfilled his promise, he demanded his price. It was then that Faoil realized that Zorn's price wasn't that she had been led to believe, but that Zorn intended to make her a his slave claimed foul and that the demon had deceived her. The two battled, but Zorn was able to defeat Faoil with a blow to the head, but not before Faoil had delivered a successful strike with her sword.

Zorn stripped Faoil of her armor, clothing and weapons, bound her hands and feet, gagged her and then using his knife, cut her forearm and drank her blood in order to replace his energy. With the bound woman slung over his shoulder, Zorn headed back to the surface with the intent of taking Faoil to the slave quarter to have her branded and collared.

At the gate between the the Old City and the University Quarter, the city guard stopped Zorn. They became suspicious of Zorn's story that Faoil was a runaway slave he was returning to the slave quarter. The Captain of the Guard checked Faoil and discovered that not only wasn't she branded and collared, but she was not shaven as was the custom of female slaves. Ungagging Faoil, she identified herself and told of Zorn's betrayal and his intended abduction of her.

Zorn attacked the guards and was quickly killed. The Captain freed Faoil and helped her to return to Hawk Manor.

Approximately 3 years later, Faoil was called upon by Ciargain's uncle to remedy a problem of attacks against the residents of his area. Along with a half-orc, a dwarf, the dark half-elf Himoos and two swords for hire, Faoil headed towards a mine where the attacks were apparently being staged from. The half-orc and dwarf were killed by a colony of cannibalistic beasts when they decided to charge into the den of the beasts. The two fighters, blaming Faoil for the deaths, quit and left for "greener pastures."

With the aid of Himoos and Ciargain's young cousin, Faoil was able to brew up "wizard's fire" (naptha) and blow the cave entrance, sealing the beasts in the mine. Faoil returned to Hawk Manor.

The next day, Himoos showed up at Hawk Manor. Faoil greeted him as a former comrade-at-arms, only to have her trust betrayed once again. Himoos raped and brutalized Faoil, declaring he intended to make her his. In an attempt to rescue their mistress, Faoil's elderly servants (a husband and wife) attacked Himoos only to be killed by the dark half-elf.

Realizing that it would only be a matter of time before the local villagers became aware of Faoil's situation, Himoos abducted her and headed for the City of Imarr with the intent of capturing a ship back to his homeland. Before arriving in the City, Himoos branded Faoil and shaved her as was the custom, then collared and shackled her so that he could past her off as a legitimate slave.

At the Meat & Gristle in the City of Imarr, Himoos offered to "sell" Faoil's services to a young barbarian woman. When the woman discovered that Himoos was the man she had been seeking to avenge the death of her brother, she attacked Himoos. After receiving a mortal wound, Himoos turned his blade upon Faoil in a last ditch attempt to "keep her as his". The attempt only succeeded in wounding Faoil. Himoos died at the end of the barbarian's blade.

With the help of the barbarian woman and a street urchin, Faoil was able to leave the Meat & Gristle and be healed by a cleric. Once she was well enough to travel, Faoil returned to Hawk Manor.

Four years later, Faoil has returned to the City of Imarr, searching for the identity of her birth parents and her answers to her bloodline. She has sworn that she will leave no stone unturned in Imarr to find the answers to her questions.

Faoil found through the Sage Bernard, she is descendant of Imarok, the First King of Imarr. The attacks upon her Foster Family and herself were not matters of bad luck, but rather calculated attacks by a darker force intent on wiping out the blood of Imarok.

Last edited:

Remove ads