The Swords of Imarr: Midnight at the Meat & Gristle

S'mon

Legend
Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Hrothgar Turn 1, Spring 2740 YE:

Twilight has fallen on the city as a muscular young man strides through the evening streets, a heavy blade strapped across his back. Hrothgar the Rigerian, a barbarian of the northern mountains, has been in Imarr six months now since arriving on the ship of Master Slinoor from far-off Sarukar port. Falling in among the rogues and vagabonds of the city for whom a strong sword-arm is always useful, he has been lucky enough to survive - so far.
Hrothgar turns off the cobbled stones of Plague Street into the shadows of Beggars' Alley, on his way to the Meat & Gristle tavern. Hrothgar's friend and short-term dalliance Alyx the Picklock has asked to meet him there, doubtless with some dubious scheme to discuss...

Hrothgar's finely-honed barbarian senses alert him to danger even before he spies the three figures in the shadows ahead.

"Give us the map, bitch!"

"I'm afraid you'll have to take it from me, Skel..."

The latter voice is female, familiar - Alyx!

Drawing closer, Hrothgar sees two shaven-headed thugs, the notorious alley-basher brothers Kreshmar and Skel, flanking a small, dark-haired figure clad all in black - Alyx the Picklock, Hrothgar's confidante! All three have weapons drawn - the brothers have viciously hooked mauls, while a slim silver rapier dances in Alyx's hands as she fends off their unwelcome advances... as yet none seem to have detected Hrothgar's approach.

[Actions?]

rangerjohn

Explorer
Hrothgar stealthily approaches Stel, as he appears to be the one in charge. Placing his blade at the back of his neck, he says "Is that anyway to treat a woman? Especially, one under my protection? I suggest you have your men back off. If Skel fails to take the threat seriously, he will attack.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
OOC: I'm not detailing all the Move Silent, Intimidate etc rolls I make, but I can include them if you prefer.

Hrothgar draws his sword and approaches the trio, silent as he can - but as he draws closer Skel spots him (bad luck) and turns, snarling. Hrothgar raises his sword warningly.

Hrothgar:
"Is that anyway to treat a woman? Especially, one under my protection? I suggest you have your men back off."

Skel looks to his brother Kreshmar, nervous a moment, then spits on the ground, defiant.

"You're a dead man..."

Hrothgar strikes - Skel jumps back, raising his maul. Alyx takes the chance to step in and lunge at his back - he twists aside, light on his feet. Kreshmar swings at Alyx - his maul wings her side, snagging the leather armour beneath her tunic. Skel yells and swings low at Hrothgar, the spiked maul smashes into your thigh with flaring pain (3 dmg, 11hp left).

Alyx moves quickly to your side, rapier raised, as the brothers close in again.

Alyx grimaces, stealing a quick glance in your direction.

"Thanks for the help Hrothgar - hope I don't get you killed here..."

[Actions?]

Faoiltiarna

First Post
Lady Faoiltiarna Returns to Imarr

IMARR!

Twice before her life had been touched by the hands of disciples of evil with these city walls. She had suffered cruelty and degradation that nightmares were made of, only to be rescued by the unforeseen hands of fate.

IMARR!

She was once again drawn to the city where her life had been changed twice before. This time, however, she cam in search of answers to questions of her origins. Lady Faoiltiarna (widow of Lord Ciargain, victim of the demon Zorn and the dark elf assassin Himoos) was certain that the city held the clues to her parents' identities and her lineage. If need be, she would tear the city apart, brick by brick and stone by stone for the answers she sought.

How many times during her short captivity in Himoos' hands had he taunted her, implying knowledge regarding her parents and lineage? But whatever information the assassin had known died with him four years ago.

Four years? Had it really been that long ago that her life had been turned upside down and inside out. Her left hand drifted unconsciously to her outer thigh where Himoos had seared her flesh. Faoil knew she had to keep what laid beneath her clothing a secret for the rest of her days, but it still seemed to burn with a fire of its own. However, she refuse to let Himoos' cruelty or even Zorn's keep her a victim. She had taken her past trials and hardened herself, creating a mental armor of strength against memories that haunted her sleep still.

The years following Himoos' death and her liberation, Faoil has spent in extensive arms training with a Master Swordsman. She was determined to never again fall to the whimsy of evil without a battle. She also prepared for her search to discover who she was and where she came from.

With deliberate and a well place stride, she walked through the city towards a familiar place. The building eventually loomed ahead of her, almost as if it had known she would return. Stopping in front of the building, her emotionless grey eyes read the familiar words on the sign in front.

A black gloved hand reached out, pushing the door open to the sights, smells and sounds of the tavern. Her features were concealed in the deep shadowed folds of the hood of her cloak. Faoil entered the Meat and Gristle, moving stealthily across the room to a vacant table near the wall.

IMARR!

She had returned and would remain until she found the answers she was seeking.

:Tag:

rangerjohn

Explorer
Hrothgar

S'mon said:
OOC: I'm not detailing all the Move Silent, Intimidate etc rolls I make, but I can include them if you prefer.

Hrothgar draws his sword and approaches the trio, silent as he can - but as he draws closer Skel spots him (bad luck) and turns, snarling. Hrothgar raises his sword warningly.

Hrothgar:
"Is that anyway to treat a woman? Especially, one under my protection? I suggest you have your men back off."

Skel looks to his brother Kreshmar, nervous a moment, then spits on the ground, defiant.

"You're a dead man..."

Hrothgar strikes - Skel jumps back, raising his maul. Alyx takes the chance to step in and lunge at his back - he twists aside, light on his feet. Kreshmar swings at Alyx - his maul wings her side, snagging the leather armour beneath her tunic. Skel yells and swings low at Hrothgar, the spiked maul smashes into your thigh with flaring pain (3 dmg, 11hp left).

Alyx moves quickly to your side, rapier raised, as the brothers close in again.

Alyx grimaces, stealing a quick glance in your direction.

"Thanks for the help Hrothgar - hope I don't get you killed here..."

[Actions?]

OOC: No, the results are fine.

"I see you are as quick as the weasel you are, Skel." Then ansewering Alyx, "what kind of friend would I be otherwise." He then attempts to return the favor to Skel.

S'mon

Legend
Hrothgar suddenly lunges at Skel - this time the brigand isn't quick enough, and a powerful blow smashes down into his collar-bone with a sickening *crunch* (1pt power attack, roll 6+6=12 dmg). Skel staggers back, suddenly pale. At the same moment Alyx lunges past Kreshmar's guard, her rapier poking him in the stomach - just a nick, but it draws blood.

Kreshmar glances at Skel, then the two wounded alley-bashers think better of their prey - with a final volley of curses, they turn and flee.

Alyx draws a deep breath, then turns to Hrothgar with a mischievous grin, wiping her rapier on her leather-clad thigh.

"Thanks H - you saved the damsel!"

She winks. Then she looks down at Hrothgar.

"You're wounded - we better get to the 'Gristle, I can tend to that and tell you what this is all about..."

S'mon

Legend
Lady Faoiltiarna Turn 1

Lady Faoiltiarna is at a corner chair in the Meat & Gristle tavern with mild disapproval watching the taverns' dancing-girls perform to the sound of a lute. The tavern is starting to fill up with evening trade, a few casting curious glances at the expensive black-enamelled breastplate Faoil wears, hardly normally urban attire. Faoil pensively sups a decent goblet of wine. Then she looks up as the person she has been waiting for enters the tavern - Bernard the White, an elderly white-bearded sage who has promised her the answers she seeks...

Bernard spots Faoil and walks over, long pale-grey robes swishing on the flagstones. He nods cordially and sits down across the table from her, leaning his oakwood staff against the wall. Though aged his face is ruddy, he's broad-shouldered, bright-eyed and looks in excellent health.

"So, millady Faoil, I can tell you what you need to know. But in return, there is something you must do for me..."

His gaze rests on the hilt of the heavy sword Faoil always carries.

[tag]

rangerjohn

Explorer
S'mon said:
"Thanks H - you saved the damsel!"

She winks. Then she looks down at Hrothgar.

"You're wounded - we better get to the 'Gristle, I can tend to that and tell you what this is all about..."

"Ah, its just a scratch," Hrothgar says with a grin. But I would like to know what this is about, and I can always use a drink."

Remove ads