D&D 5E The Tales from the Yawning Portal Classic-Dungeon-Crawl Variant Rules Package

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Good stuff!

It's also worth thinking about dropping the "Death save" idea, and just having a character die when they hit zero- I'm doing that when I run Tomb of Horrors.

I also feel like one of the big differences between 5e and the older editions is how quickly characters blow through the earlier level, but if we're just playing through this book, there's probably no way to work around that without throwing off the general challenge level.

Remember in AD&D you had to get to -10 to die, and a character could just "tend to you" for a round to stabilize you. It's the poison that gets you in AD&D.

Also, recovery from being dropped to 0 incapacitated you for a week - even with magical healing.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
This requires more retooling than I first thought. If short rests are removed, then certain class abilities become useless (Arcane Recovery and Natural Recovery, for example). There are also a few things that interact with spending hit dice (the Durable feat, potions of vitality). So maybe the Slow Natural Recovery variant is the way to go.

To combine AD&D with 5e, use the Slow Natural Recovery for hit point recovery, and the normal rest rules for regaining abilities.

Remove ads