• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Tarrasque is Awake!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
First, you know that bit where the bard leaves? Oh no he doesn't! I'm a farmer, you said: burly, biceps like watermelons, used to pushing the plough myself, no entertainment on a Friday night except to get in fights down at the inn. He's a bard missing an arm. I'm hogtying the bard, gagging him, slinging him over my shoulder, and taking him with me as I and my family leave town. It's going to be very clear to him that if my belongings aren't trampled and devoured by the time I get home--if a single one of them is merely stolen by the bard's no-good scammates--I'm feeding the bard to my hogs.

:eek:

Remind me never to warn YOUR village of impending doom. ;)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Kamikaze Midget said:
:eek:

Remind me never to warn YOUR village of impending doom. ;)
You're a bard, like you can help shooting off your mouth every which way!

But now that I think about it, I'm probably not gonna gag the bard. Being a farmer has its good points and its bad points in this situation:

GOOD:
-Very strong and tough
-Highly suspicious of outsiders

BAD:
-Unfamiliar with a bard's excellent powers of magical persuasion

So I'll hogtie the bard and sling him over my back. As soon as I'm alone with the bard, he'll suggest that I release him, and once I've done so, he'll suggest that I go back home for one last good night's sleep before fleeing. And whether he's a scammer or a legitimate Prophet o' Doom, that's the end of me!

Daniel

tzor

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
You live in a Podunk farming village somewhere off the map. Any other town is a good week's journey away. There are no horses.

Stay calm. Don't panic.
Locate the nearest source of meat (no horses but there could be cattle or sheep).

Walk calmly in a direction 90 degrees from a line between where you think the Tarrasque is and the source of meat. Find a river. Cross the river. Lay low. And above all don't worry because ...

SRD said:
A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track.

The Tarrasque doesn't have the track ability. It's sent isn't really much use beyond 60'.

Of course if you as clever as the greatest rangers who ever ran in my campaign world (way back in 1E) who were known as "Death" and "Destruction" you would telekenese some coins of darkness over his head and guide him with a levitating animal carcas. (Of course it wasn't the tarrasque at the time and their first idea was just to lob the hammer of thunderbolts at it.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The Tarrasque doesn't have the track ability. It's sent isn't really much use beyond 60'.

SRD said:
While anyone can use Survival to find tracks (regardless of the DC), or to follow tracks when the DC for the task is 10 or lower, only a ranger (or a character with the Track feat) can use Survival to follow tracks when the task has a higher DC.

The Terrasque can Take 10 (or even 20?) on her Survival check to find the tracks of probably 90% of the commoners in the village. Hiding may work, but you're basically relying on being lucky enough that she doesn't come within 60' of anywhere you've been. And even then, you will have the problem of the scavengers that come after... ;)

Rabelais

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
The Terrasque can Take 10 (or even 20?) on her Survival check to find the tracks of probably 90% of the commoners in the village. Hiding may work, but you're basically relying on being lucky enough that she doesn't come within 60' of anywhere you've been. And even then, you will have the problem of the scavengers that come after... ;)

I for one, welcome our Laser-Guided Tarrasque overlord.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I for one, welcome our Laser-Guided Tarrasque overlord.

Hey, scent is potent! Though really, any half-decent alchemist should probably be able to whip up a good scent masker, so hiding could be pretty effective (also effective if the Tarrasque isn't that interested in digging up hard prey).

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Peterson said:
Um....cast Lady Tarrasque illusion?

If there's only one Tarrasque in a world/campaign setting then obviously she's parthenogenic and thus uninterested. Best bet is just to slink off alone and lie low, Big T doesn't have the inclenation to dig out every last gopher she's too hungry. She'll follow whichever group seems to be the biggest meal unless provoked as they flee toward the nearest population center.

WD40

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
Failing that, I suppose it is time to pray that I am some kind of legendary hero destined to stop the abominable thing.

Or better yet, prey that someone else is the legendary hero destined to stop the abominable thing and that he's up to the job.

Remove ads