The Temple of Elemental Evil

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I think you are meant to spend more time exploring Hommlet and its folk, rather than immediately setting off into the wilderness.
I tend to camp outside the moathouse for a level or two on random encounters, prior to invading its grounds proper.

Otherwise I think the Co8 have done an amazing effort.

Anyone else tried their new module, Keep on the Borderlands?
ummmm no, great need to go download tonight..... :D

I still fire TOEE up every now and than and play through it with different combinations of characters. Gotta have the patches though.

Stuntman

First Post
Here's some advice if you are starting out. It's good to have at least 2 (out of 5) characters who can wear heavy armour to keep enemies away from wizards at the back. Fighters, Paladins and Clerics are good tanks. Your wizard should not be using MM at level 1. He should be using Sleep. If he doesn't need to cast Sleep, he should be using a ranged weapon like a crossbow.

I've completed the game several times. The first time was with a party with a fighter, cleric, druid, wizard and sorcerer. When I got to higher levels, I can end an encounter early with 2 fireballs and 2 flame strikes on the first round of combat.

The latest party I used was 3 fighters (glave, sword/board and bow), a cleric and wizard. The cleric and wizard's primary roles were creating magical items. The fighters (and even the cleric and wizard) used those items to deal massive amounts of damage.

BlueSalamander

Explorer
I have completed TOEE several times too. A fighter, a druid, a cleric plus a wizard is a very strong combination.

Here is an article I have written about TOEE:
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/RPGShrine.htm#TempleofElementalEvil

Here is another article I have written about Keep on the Borderlands, a TOEE modification from the circle of eight:
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5#p6

If you like TOEE you will probably like my game, Knights of the Chalice. It was released a few weeks ago. Just check out the rest of my website, www.heroicfantasygames.com, to learn more about it. There is a free demo available.

Remove ads