• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"The term 'GNS' is moronic and annoying" – well this should be an interesting interview

pemerton

Legend
That's a high page count for disclaiming a bit of decision-making.
Well, quite. As Edwards put it,

Purist-for-System designs tend to model the same things: differences among scales, situational modifiers, kinetics of all kinds, and so forth. . .. Compared to other designs, high search and handling times, as well as many points-of-contact, are acceptable features.​

(From the glossary:

Points of Contact
The steps of rules-consultation, either in the text or internally, per unit of established imaginary content. This is not the same as the long-standing debate between Rules-light and Rules-heavy systems; either low or high Points of Contact systems can rely on strict rules.)​

Huh, me too. Did you know him in the North or the South?
I gamed with him online. A multi-year Empire of the Petal Throne campaign that I've been playing in for going on ten years now. He was part of our original crew back when we were level 1. It served as a great reminder that he enjoys gaming of all types, as we were effectively playing an OD&D variant (if you are familiar with the 1975 EPT rules)

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, my premise was about an actual event of play. And given that we don't have a MRI on the PC knight's shoulder wound, I don't think we can say it was unrealistic provided it's in the ballpark of actual lived experience of recovery from soft-tissue injury (which is something I have a bit of).

At which point its completely arbitrary and talking about its realism is fundamentally meaningless.

As for the proposition that baked-in mechanics are more likely to be realistic - I don't think there's actually much evidence of that, is there?

Yes, actually, I think there is--when they're trying to. Many of them, of course, aren't.

I mean they're also just numbers made up based on general categorisations of injuries, by people who are typically not occupational therapists and who don't have any sort of statistical evidence ready-to-hand.

Doesn't mean they can't have done research, and in several cases I know of, did. Does random GM Number Fifty-Eight do that before making his decision? Occasionally, maybe.

Which is how I'd describe narratavist games.

This is why I pointed out that the phrase "emergent narrative" is not some idiosyncrasy; it has a specific meaning.

The story doesn't have to exist as a coherent narrative in the game's text to still be curated and enforced.

That, for the record, is also just a part and parcel aspect of all games. The moment you make your game "about" something, you're curating a specific set of possible narratives. That's where people into the OSR, and those that eventually boil the whole thing down to FKR, are coming from when they reject the need for any robust systems or theming of any kind.

When you get into narrativist games, these systems you can play with are leveraged for hyper focus, further narrowing the possibility space. And its necessary for those kinds of games, because they invariably collapse much of if not all of the gameplay out of the experience aside from the inherent improv game. Its why PBTA isn't a system.

The only thing they can do to sell themselves as X experience is to force the narrative beats of that experience.

An emergent experience doesn't work like that, however.

As far as I can tell, what you've done here is the following:

1) You've turned a proper noun (the specific, named concept of Story Before coined by The Forge) and transmuted it into a common noun (story before) that you're now coining for usage of a very general concept.

2) You're obliterating the distinguishing characteristics between that Forge-coined proper noun of Story Before and your newly-minted common noun of story before. Why I don't know, but it looks a lot like the only work it does is (a) confuse things and (b) bin basically everything into this newly-minted common noun of story before. So far as I can tell, it makes the significantly distinguishing characteristics (in design, in play, in articulation of concepts) of all of the below...disappear:

* Participants opt into the play of a game with any kind of premise or any kind of setting, backstory, cosmology, etc.

* Players have systematized content authority over the elements that play orbits around so their PCs can collide with coherent opposition and vie for outcomes (thereby “finding out” who their characters are in the course of play). While this includes input on varying initial conditions of play, it does not prescribe outcomes (because that is anethema).

* Players have content authority over their character preconceptions and extreme (or total) ownership of their character arcs that materialize through play. This necessitates a level of prescriptive control over both initial conditions and outcomes (via social contract or via working in concert with their GM to script seminal content or player fiat via a systemitized, highly gameable currency economy whereby low stakes consequences are accepted for the means to ensure high stakes consequences never see play; varying forms of player-side railroading).

* Players have little to no actual content authority over initial conditions or whether/how play orbits around theme & premise embedded in their characters. The GM has control over initial conditions and all facets of setting and situation, adjudication/resolution mediation including rules, genre credibility tests, what constitutes player best practices and what is verboten.

...why would you want to do that (obliterate these distinctions)?

Not at all. You don't need a preconceived or meta plot to have a writers room. That's actually contradictory to both what the term refers to and what it implies in a colloquial sense.

You get into writers room dynamics when you position play as a story and then have players having to negotiate over the next game state. If you've ever played a narrativist game and had to stop and decide what move was gonna get invoked or how a given scene was gonna play out, you were in a writers room.

The writers room isn't about plotting, it's about telling a story. And that is a big difference.

I don't know where you're drawing writers' room from colloquially or otherwise. But my best understanding of a writers' room is that the participants have total control over all three of initial conditions, trajectory, and the outcomes of the story that they are collectively stewarding into existence. Whether this is democratized in some fashion or goes through some other means of collective action to get from initial conditions to finished product, its theirs...start to checkered flag...no countervailing forces of system nor colliding interests that must be resolved via extra-social means (so negotiation isn't sufficient to resolve the dispute...some intermediary in the form of a procedure or resolution process does the work of deciding "who gets what" or "how things resolve") to get in the way of their machinations...to exert pressure toward, and the generation of, dynamism.

Those are the dynamics of writers' room as I understand them and that is how I use the term to convey distinction between that sort of design dynamic or social dynamic and how it generates a novel form of play (that is quite different from others).

Again, it seems a very bad idea indeed to mute or obfuscate the differences between the above and all the various forms of distinct authority distribution and content generation via participant input that happens in the TTRPG-sphere.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Brenan Lee Mulligan is right that the techniques and processes their group uses are well suited for what they are trying to accomplish. They relying on a fruitful void within D&D to allow them to work together to tell a story. It's mistake to assume that sort of improvised storytelling they are seeking to do is the aim of most folks who play games like Sorcerer or Apocalypse World.

When we were playing The Between "Yes, And" was not part of play vocabulary. Blocking (from the system, the GM and other players occasionally) was common and valued part of the play experience. That's what "playing to find out" is fundamentally about. It's about embracing those conflicts and just seeing how the momentum of play follows through. It's something really only this medium can do. You take these compelling premises and put them through the blender of play (with everyone playing their character hard) and just see how things shake out.

Blocking (from the system, the GM and other players occasionally) was common and valued part of the play experience. That's what "playing to find out" is fundamentally about.

I don't think you understand the terms you're using.

It's mistake to assume that sort of improvised storytelling they are seeking to do is the aim of most folks who play games like Sorcerer or Apocalypse World.

For example, this kind of wishy washy otherizing of what Brennan's tables do. It's all improvised storytelling, and that's entirely the point of games like those two. Its the practically the entire point of RPGs!

Differentiating them like this just a weird kind of psychological distancing, as though one should be ashamed to be associated with what the big streamers got popular for doing.

Blocking (from the system, the GM and other players occasionally) was common and valued part of the play experience. That's what "playing to find out" is fundamentally about.

I don't know what you think "Blocking" is, but that isn't it. Blocking is about rejecting the input of participants outright, and I seriously doubt thats what you were doing to each other, and especially not when you're describing that experience as "good".

And while its a phoney jargon term anyway, that definitely isn't what play to find out is. All that is is just another way of saying improvised storytelling. You form the story at the table through collaboration between the improv players. It has nothing to do with blocking, and what you're thinking of is actually Yes, and dynamics.

Which, as you don't know, isn't always about saying yes to any random thing, but about maintaining consistency as the story develops and incorporating new ideas in ways that support that. Eg, you don't get to conjure a pink lazer dragon on a whim unless thats the kind of game you're playing.

It's about embracing those conflicts and just seeing how the momentum of play follows through.

Thats what Yes,and is.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Brenan Lee Mulligan is right that the techniques and processes their group uses are well suited for what they are trying to accomplish. They relying on a fruitful void within D&D to allow them to work together to tell a story. It's mistake to assume that sort of improvised storytelling they are seeking to do is the aim of most folks who play games like Sorcerer or Apocalypse World.
Or D&D, frankly. Collaborative storytelling is not necessarily the primary purpose of roleplaying for every group. Mechanical engagement, socialization, exploring the setting, and simply roleplaying a PC are just a few examples. I really dislike the assumption some have that collaborative storytelling is what RPGs are all about.

niklinna

satisfied?
Is it really a fruitful void, though, or just a void that happens to be there, which they happen to be capable of and interested in filling? Put another way, do any other rules of 5e promote or encourage or assist the group to work within that void?

Remove ads