• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Terminator and Aliens - Michael Tresca Freebies

Turanil

First Post
I have had these freebies for a long time, but never considered using them for an actual game. But it's just that I never considered running a Alien or Predator campaign more than anything else.

Gospog

First Post
I have used the Aliens supplement for my Judge Dredd vs Aliens game. I ran it three times (big fun!) and the scores for the Aliens were everything I needed.

This summer is the "sequel" to that game, and I'll be using the Predator scores this time. (can you say AVP vs Judge Dredd? Can you say "mass chaos"?) ;)

-Tom

rekres

First Post
jeff37923 said:
I just ran into these free PDFs of Terminator: Future Fate and Aliens: Game Over by Michael Tresca while surfing the web. Both are for d20 Modern and both seem really cool. Does anyone have any experience playing with these rules?

I don't know about the Aliens one, but I've got the Terminator. I was reading through it with an eye to running something similar, when I noticed a series of errors (at least I believe them to be errors).

In the writeups of the various Terminator, many of them have the wrong stats. They are written up as large constructs with 5x5 facing and 10 ft reach. 5x5 is medium, not large. All of the infiltrator series should be medium constructs not large... that was the whole reason for them. They are supposed to pass as human and they can't do that if they are larger than human.

Even ignoring that part, there are contradictions between the initial write-up of Terminators as PCs and their listings as NPCs. But other than that, it's a fascinating read... even if it repeats itself in a couple of places... :)

talien

Community Supporter
rekres said:
In the writeups of the various Terminator, many of them have the wrong stats. They are written up as large constructs with 5x5 facing and 10 ft reach. 5x5 is medium, not large. All of the infiltrator series should be medium constructs not large... that was the whole reason for them. They are supposed to pass as human and they can't do that if they are larger than human.
This comes up every once in awhile, but the reason I made them large is because of their extreme weight for beings of that size. Perhaps it should be a different rule that encompasses them being heavier but still being the same size as MediuM (thus the 5x5 facing).

Glad you enjoy it! :)

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Powerful Build (half-giants and goliaths) oughta do it.

SRD said:
Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

There's a spheric yard of coolness on that site. Tresca/talien is tres cool. I think he did some work on IK, as well.

rekres

First Post
talien said:
This comes up every once in awhile, but the reason I made them large is because of their extreme weight for beings of that size. Perhaps it should be a different rule that encompasses them being heavier but still being the same size as MediuM (thus the 5x5 facing).

Glad you enjoy it! :)

As a point of reference, in the Monster Manual..... the Ape is listed as a large animal, 10x10 with 10ft reach. In the description... 5 1/2 to 6 ft, 300 to 400 pounds. Seems odd to me though, I've always assumed that size was based on, well... size, not on weight... *shrug*

Just downloaded the Alien one, plan on looking through it later. The fun part is translating d20 Modern to Spycraft, which is what I'm currently running.

talien

Community Supporter
John Q. Mayhem said:
Powerful Build (half-giants and goliaths) oughta do it.

Excellent idea. I will incorporate it.

There's a spheric yard of coolness on that site. Tresca/talien is tres cool. I think he did some work on IK, as well.
Thank you! Here's a list of what I contributed to:

* Iron Kingdoms: World Guide (March, 2005) - from Privateer Press, mostly the Khador section.
* The Complete Guide to Werewolves (April, 2005) - from Goodman Games
* Combat Missions (2005) - for Spycraft from Paradigm Concepts
* Ancient Kingdoms: Greece (2006) - from Necromancer games

I've got other stuff I'm working on in between but either can't talk about it yet or haven't finished it yet.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
As soon as Blood and Guts 2 is ready for purchase at rpgnow.com I fully intend to run a post-apocalyptic Terminator game and a modern-esque Aliens game. Thank Tresca for making these freebies!

I ran an Evil Dead game back in October. It was full of murder, mayhem and dark masses. One character survived in the end, but thats okay - it was a one shot game anyhow.

talien

Community Supporter
Frukathka said:
I ran an Evil Dead game back in October. It was full of murder, mayhem and dark masses. One character survived in the end, but thats okay - it was a one shot game anyhow.
This brings a happy tear to my eye. Am I a bad man?

Remove ads