• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Toughness Feat

Dread October

First Post
I pretty much hate how some feats are only useful at 1-3rd level and then they pretty much never come intoplay again so I decided to muck about with the Toughness feat.

Instead of:
Benefit
You gain +3 hit points.

I use:

Benefit
You gain +3 hit points per level.

There is no point to taking the feat again since the effect don't stack.

On the surface I was worried that I'd end up with this HUGE HP monsters but kin 4+ years of making the change, only a few players have actually taken the feat. Most of the players who took it, didn't even bother to Max out their CON as well.

The power level of my campaign world is medium these days.
Initial GP value of magic Items is 3/4 DMG value for characters of X level.

This meant that if we started at 7th level, a few folks would take toughness to find a way to offset some of the armor they wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise while still having killer offense.

It worked pretty well.

Dread October

First Post
Frukathka said:
Monte Cook's World of Darkness offers a version that gives +1 HP/HD, and can be taken many times.

I have seen that. I'd be curious as towhat that's like in actual play.

Does this mean that if taken 3 times it's giving +3 HP per HD and if so, how many other feats has the player passed on?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My version of Toughness grants 1 + your base Fort save in hit points.

So for a Wizard, that's +1 at 1st level and +7 at 20th level.

For a Fighter, that's +3 at 1st level and +13 at 20th level.

Cheers, -- N

maggot

First Post
At +3/level, I'm surprised no one is taking it. Then again, I offered toughness as +6 hit points flat out for my 1st-3rd level campaign, and had no takers. It did make the opposition a lot tougher. I'm threatening to offer toughness as +10 hit points next campaign to see if there are any takers. At that point, I would take it if I were allowed to play in my game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads