• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the trick is...

ejja_1

First Post
The trick is-

...To keep them guessing by rolling dice constantly and smiling at the different results.
...To get them to chase that lone kobold into the wyvrens den.
...Not to make fun of the weird baying hounds that are circling your camp, or the only player who is trying to take down as many of them as possible before the big attack.(Huh Trev Huh!)
...Not to split the party when your DM is the Maniacal Mark Clover.
...To always keep a bead of force in you left pocket.
...To remember to buy ammo for that light crossbow before you leave for the next dungeon crawl.
...Not to call the barons daughter an incouragable slut in front of her loyal subjects.
... and then marry her.

Ejja_1

Trickstergod

First Post
Well, if I'm obligated to post to any thread, I suppose it's this one...

The trick is...

...to be ready to improvise. Nobody likes to feel like you're railroading them, and the PC's are nearly guaranteed to break off from the plot at one point.

diaglo said:
:D

if you have to ask who they are. they are better off dead.

i've played too much PARANOIA :eek:

I'm going to ask an OT question ... do you have Paranoia? Do you know where I could get it? I have a friend who is obssessed with it (despite never having played it) and would love to get his hands on it.

MarauderX

Explorer
Another trick is to...

...work in skills checks for the things you know they don't collectively have one point in.

...make them keep track of encumberance for when they are trying to outrun that 'wandering' pack of wolves.

...not to cackle violently just before setting off an ambush.

...use the party's favorite tricks against them.

...don't use damage to hurt them, just prevent them from harming your BBEG - tripping, quicksand, grease, disarm, magnets, silence, rugs of tripping, etc.

...always have dice in your hands for instant, unexpected rolls.

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
...stop everything for a moment, roll a random die behind the screen, say "Uh oh," really softly, then say "Ok, where were we?"

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
diaglo said:
...to remember Original D&D(1974) is the only true game. And all the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

had to add that one.
...and also that diaglo is not a sane man and his opinions are suspect if not biased. But we still like him.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Oh yeah...

...is to always ensure you have clean underwear so when that dragonfear kicks in, you can change shorts.

...to not have sex with dryads. They give you woodrot.

...to ensure players remember the adage "Better to give than recieve" especially when they face off against undead and they have a paladin.

diaglo

Adventurer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I'm going to ask an OT question ... do you have Paranoia? Do you know where I could get it? I have a friend who is obssessed with it (despite never having played it) and would love to get his hands on it.

i think so. many of my non-D&D games are in my parents' attic.

at one time in my life i owned a literal ton(ne) of stuff. :eek:

i do know my folks recycled many of my old magazines. :( they had a clean out and just took all of the magazines to the recycle center. so i no longer have my White Dwarf collection, most of my Dragons, Poly, etc...

i'm heading back their way for xmas (my wife and i alternate visits) it's been two years since i saw the stuff. i hope it's still there. :eek:

ashockney

First Post
The trick is...

...you're playing a game. People play games to have fun.
...laughing is fun. Don't get too thrown off by it.
...whatever they do, you can do it x2. The benefit of being DM.
...improvising.
...random encounters.
...always giving your players a choice. Always.
...have the players choices influence the encounter, module, campaign, and world.
...maniacal laughter.
...picking up two hand-fulls of dice when rolling damage. :D

Remove ads