• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The trouble with 365_Bazaar

Shabe

First Post
Call me confused but in the new Dragon article there are some new magic weapons, on some of the daily powers it classes the action as an immediate reaction, then the power goes onto describe that you can only use it after the weapon hits.

Is it me or would those powers only be able to be used on readied actions and opportunity attacks as you can't use immediate actions on your own turn.

Example

Impaling weapon

Power (Daily): Immediate Reaction. Use this power when you hit with a melee attack using this weapon. You and your target are both immobilized until the start of your next turn.

Why are they not just classed as free actions?

Vayden

First Post
I did notice that it looks like all of the staff descriptions have a typo - PHB always describes the power as "When you use a power with X, do Y also" - Bazaar article says "When you would use a power with X, do Y". The Bazaar powers don't look that much more powerful than the PHB staffs, so I'm assuming atm that it's a typo and should read the same as the PHB.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Why are they not just classed as free actions?
A free action is something you can do at anytime, without a trigger. In this example, you're reacting to your own trigger, but it's still a reaction, and therefore, an immediate action.

I also don't see in the rules where immediate actions can't be taken on your own turn.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
PHB p.269 said:
Immediate Actions: You can take one immediate action per round, either an immediate interrupt or an immediate reaction. An immediate action must be triggered by an event or an action on another combatant’s turn.
You can't take Immediate actions on your turn.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads