• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Undead

Sporemine

First Post
Arri-vastril

Best. Idea. Ever.

Thank you Mesh Hong.

This thread is turning out great. A few new things.

Looking at this we need a dedicated person to create stats for the sheer number of undead ideas and concepts that are being given. Pm me if you're interested.

Undead concepts.

Death ooze:
A terrible ooze creature that was corrupted when the planes "blurred." It began to hunger and crawled out of the ground. It feeds off of living flesh (energy draining) and uses the undead and negative energy "wells" (Think of the borders between the material plane and the negative energy plane like swiss cheese (a delicious way of comparing.) This "well" is one of the holes. It seeps dark energy and kills the land around it) to increase in size and spawn smaller versions of itself. These smaller versions are in turn used to "harvest" food for the ooze. As it grows it slows down, becoming larger and larger until it eventually creeps into a negative energy well and stays there for the rest of it's life, spawning minions and attacking until it is killed. This type of ooze is called a cyst. Some of the ooze's minions will eventually grow into cysts as well. This is a natural enemy of the arri-vastril and will stop at nothing to kill it. (the tool to destroy either may be found in the "tower" that wolf88 discribes in his post (side quest))

Two things are needed for the death ooze, a stat block and a growth/spawning system to keep track of the spread of the "Cysts"

Im assuming arri-vastril(s?) will grow and spread in a similar way, creating borders of life and death.

A re-implication of the 3.5 rule that says that you explode if you absorb too much positive energy (planes section of the dm's guide) you explode.

The lost one:
A person that kept their sanity and ability to destinguish between food and people, blocked out by the arri vastril and unable to see other humans they have banded together into neutral squads to keep their sanity. (think if a litch is an undead wizard that a lost one is an undead warrior or ranger) They are sane, neutral and can be bargained with or attacked.

Keep the good ideas coming.

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post
Here's a couple to work on...

Bloody Bones- skeletons that frenzy at the sight and smell of blood ( +2 to attack and damage a bloodied PC, perhaps a recharge power?)

Sammy

Sorry for double postinbg but look near the top of the first page for a zombie that almost perfectly fits this idea.

evilbob

Explorer
Just wanted to say as an aside: you can always just take existing MM mobs and call them something different. I've done this a few times and it honestly works great. Since 4.0 mobs can generally be described as a collection of powers, it's just the flavor that separates them - and flavor is easy to change. Take a gray wolf, for example: call it a fast, grabbing zombie and you're done. Super-quick, already balanced, and ready to go!

I'd just look for existing monsters that have the traits you want and just make up new appearances/flavor for them.

(That said, there are some really neat ideas in this thread and I hope it keeps going!)

evilgenius8000

First Post
Plague Zombie

A walking corpse-like thing with oozing pustules and rotting flesh.

Plague Zombie Level 2 Brute
Medium Natural Animate (undead) XP 125
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +4; darkvision
HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 14; Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 13
Immune Disease, Poison; Resist Necrotic 10; Vulnerable Radiant 5
Speed 6

:bmelee: Bite (standard; at-will) * Poison
+5 vs AC; 1d6 + 3 damage and target takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). On first failed save, target contracts Falazure's Blessing.

:melee: Body Slam (standard, as part of a charge attack; at-will) * Poison
+5 vs AC; 1d10 + 3 damage and target is knocked prone.

:melee:Grasp of the Damned (standard; recharge :4: :5: :6:)
Target must be dazed, stunned, or prone; +5 vs AC; 2d8 + 3 damage and is grabbed and restrained (until target breaks free).

:melee:Devour (standard; at-will)
Must have a creature grabbed; The plague zombie makes two bite attacks against a target it is currently grabbing.

Alignment: Unaligned Languages: None
Str 17 (+4) Dex 14 (+3) Wis 12 (+2)
Con 14 (+3) Int 2 (-3) Cha 2 (-3)

Plague Zombie Tactics
The plague zombie rushes the nearest enemy, attempting to knock it prone using a body slam. It then proceeds to eat the creature, even if it's still alive.

Plague Zombie Lore
Religion (DC 15) - This is a plague zombie, a degenerated humanoid corrupted beyond salvation by an unholy disease called Falazure's Blessing.
Religion (DC 20) - The plague zombie's bite is poisonous and can transmit Falazure's Blessing.

Falazure's Blessing (Level 5 Disease)
[FONT=&quot]This disease is a creation of the vile priests of Falazure as a way to speed up the decay of humanoid civilization. As the disease progresses, the victim takes on the appearance of an undead.
Attack: +8 vs. Fort
[/FONT]Endurance: improve DC 18, maintain DC 13, worsen DC 12 or lower

Target is Cured
^
Initial State:
Target loses 1 healing surge
^
v
[FONT=&quot]The target takes a -2 penalty to attacks and damage. Also, any checks made to interact with an NPC are made with a -5 penalty.[/FONT]
v
Final State: The target only heals half as much when spending a healing surge.

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
Nice plague zombie evilgenius, I like it. The only thing I would slightly change is to make the 2 bite attacks against a grabbed target more obvious by making it a seperate power.

on to the death ooze
Death ooze:
A terrible ooze creature that was corrupted when the planes "blurred." It began to hunger and crawled out of the ground. It feeds off of living flesh (energy draining) and uses the undead and negative energy "wells" (Think of the borders between the material plane and the negative energy plane like swiss cheese (a delicious way of comparing.) This "well" is one of the holes. It seeps dark energy and kills the land around it) to increase in size and spawn smaller versions of itself. These smaller versions are in turn used to "harvest" food for the ooze. As it grows it slows down, becoming larger and larger until it eventually creeps into a negative energy well and stays there for the rest of it's life, spawning minions and attacking until it is killed. This type of ooze is called a cyst. Some of the ooze's minions will eventually grow into cysts as well. This is a natural enemy of the arri-vastril and will stop at nothing to kill it. (the tool to destroy either may be found in the "tower" that wolf88 discribes in his post (side quest))

Two things are needed for the death ooze, a stat block and a growth/spawning system to keep track of the spread of the "Cysts"

I actually started working up a death ooze a while back, but changed my mind. I will go back to the drawing board and have a think.

My initial thoughts would be that it grows as fast and as far as you want it to (after all it's part of your story). The only real issue is how big a role will it play in the campaign is it just one of many things going on? or is it a major plot point that needs containing or defeating? You could probably get at least a levels worth of XP in an expedition to a wizards tower so that would make a good quest.

evilgenius8000

First Post
Nice plague zombie evilgenius, I like it. The only thing I would slightly change is to make the 2 bite attacks against a grabbed target more obvious by making it a seperate power.

Thanks! And, yeah, I kinda thought the whole 2 bites thing would be a bit vague. Thanks for the suggestion. Now, to see if I can implement it... ;)

EDIT: Okay, I think I've fixed it now. :D

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
OK, so you want a Death ooze species that feeds off the living and uses/cooperates with the undead as a major threat to the Arri-Vastril?

Here is my interpretation. The following set of Death Oozes represents the complete life cycle of a single Ooze. It starts as a spore and grows as it consumes living flesh, as it grows it changes in size and abilities until it is ready to go to a ‘well’ and start reproducing/spreading.

1: Lurking Spore – small, level 4 lurker – opportunist, wants to survive and feed.
2: Exploratory Globule – medium, level 4 elite skirmisher – more aggressive, wants to feed, starts to use the undead to help it.
3: Flowing Nexus – large, level 6 elite controller – has grown powerful enough to have a large contingent of undead to help it to feed.
4: Spawning Form – huge, level 8 solo brute – doesn’t need the undead anymore, its main motivation now is to get to a ‘well’ to become a Cyst
5: Death Ooze Cyst – wants to reproduce, expand, eat the world etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lurking Spore (Death Ooze) Level 4 Lurker
Small Elemental Beast (necrotic, acid) XP 175

Initiative +6 Senses Perception +7
HP 50; Bloodied 25
AC 18; Fortitude 17, Reflex 17, Will 15
Immune charm, disease,;
Resist 10 necrotic, 10 acid; Vulnerable 5 cold
Speed 4, charge 6

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]M[/FONT]Slam (Standard; at-will) necrotic, acid
Attack +9 vs. AC; 1d8+2 necrotic acid damage

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]m[/FONT]Charging Slam (Standard; at-will) necrotic, acid
Charge attack only; attack +8 vs Fortitude; 2d8+2 necrotic acid damage;
on hit target is knocked prone

Unpredictable Attack
If the Ooze has combat advantage it deals an additional 1d8 necrotic acid
damage; on hit target takes 2 ongoing acid damage (save ends)

Cold Susceptibility (Immediate Reaction)
If Ooze takes cold damage it becomes slowed (save ends)

Alignment Unaligned
Skills stealth +11, perception +7
Str 14 (+4) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 10 (+2)
Con 18 (+6) Int 8 (+1) Cha 3 (-2)

Exploratory Globule (death ooze) Level 4 Elite Skirmisher
Medium Elemental Beast (necrotic, acid) XP 350

Initiative +6 Senses Perception +3
HP 120; Bloodied 60
AC 19; Fortitude 19, Reflex 19, Will 16
Immune charm, disease;
Resist 10 necrotic, 10 acid; Vulnerable 5 cold
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5, climb 5
Action Points 1

Attack +9 vs. AC; 1d8+2 necrotic acid damage

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]m[/FONT]Flowing Slam (Standard; at-will) necrotic, acid
Globule may move up to 5 squares and make 1 attack at any point;
moving after the attack does not provoke an opportunity attacks from the
target; attack +9 vs. AC; 2d8+2 necrotic acid damage; on hit target
takes 2 ongoing acid damage (save ends)

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]m[/FONT]Double Slam (Standard; at-will) necrotic, acid
Globule makes 2 Slam attacks

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]c[/FONT]Acid Spray (Standard; encounter) acid
Close blast 3; attack +6 vs. Reflex; 2d6+4 acid damage; on hit target
takes 2 ongoing acid damage (save ends)

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]c[/FONT]Call of UnDeath (Move; recharge [FONT=D&D 4e icons]56[/FONT])
Burst 10; all undead allies inside burst may shift 2 squares and gain +1 to
all defences until the start of Globules next turn

Cold Susceptibility (Immediate Reaction)
If Globule takes cold damage it becomes slowed (save ends)

Alignment Unaligned
Skills endurance +11, acrobatics +11
Str 14 (+4) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 12 (+3)
Con 18 (+6) Int 10 (+2) Cha 3 (-2)

Flowing Nexus (death ooze) Level 6 Elite Controller (Leader)
Large Elemental Beast (necrotic, acid) XP 500

Initiative +6 Senses Perception +10
Aura of Dread (fear) aura 5; All enemies entering or starting their turn
inside aura take a -1 penalty to attack and saves
HP 150; Bloodied 75
AC 22; Fortitude 21, Reflex 18, Will 19
Immune charm, disease;
Resist 15 necrotic, 15 acid; Vulnerable 5 cold
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1

Reach 2; attack +11 vs. AC; 1d10+4 necrotic acid damage

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]a[/FONT]Acidic Blast (recharge [FONT=D&D 4e icons]56[/FONT])
Area Burst 1 within 10 squares; attack +9 vs. Reflex; 2d6 acid damage; on
hit target is blinded (save ends)

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]a[/FONT]Necrotic Stream (Standard; recharge [FONT=D&D 4e icons]56[/FONT]) necrotic
Area Burst 1 within 10 squares; attack +10 vs. Fortitude; 1d8+3 necrotic
damage; on hit target is immobilised (save ends)

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]c[/FONT]Bolster Undead (Move; recharge [FONT=D&D 4e icons]56[/FONT]) healing
Burst 5; all undead allies inside burst gain 12 temporary HPs and may make
an immediate save against any ongoing effects

Command Undead (Standard; at-will)
2 target undead allies can shift 1 square and make an immediate free basic
attack

Major Cold Susceptibility (Immediate Reaction)
If Nexus takes cold damage it becomes dazed (save ends)

Alignment Unaligned Languages
Skills endurance +12, athletics +12, perception +10
Str 19 (+7) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 14 (+5)
Con 19 (+7) Int 12 (+4) Cha 3 (-1)

Spawning Form (death ooze) Level 8 Solo Brute
Huge Elemental Beast (necrotic, acid) XP 1,750

Initiative +7 Senses Perception +12
Feeding Aura (necrotic) aura 2; All enemies entering or starting their
turn inside aura take 3 necrotic damage, this heals the Spawning Form 3
HPs
HP 400; Bloodied 200; see Bloodied Regression
AC 22; Fortitude 23, Reflex 20, Will 22
Immune charm, disease;
Resist 20 necrotic, 20 acid; Vulnerable 5 cold
Saving Throws +5
Speed 5
Action Points 2

Reach 3; attack +11 vs. AC; 2d8+5 necrotic acid damage

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]m[/FONT]Double Slam (Standard; at-will) necrotic, acid
Spawning Form makes 2 Slam attacks

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]c[/FONT]Necrotic Expulsion (Standard; recharge [FONT=D&D 4e icons]56[/FONT]) necrotic
Close Blast 4; attack +9 vs. Fortitude; 1d8+5 necrotic damage; on hit
target is pushed 3 squares and immobilised (save ends)

[FONT=D&D 4e icons]m[/FONT]Engulf and Destroy (Standard; encounter) necrotic, acid
Spawning Form may move up to 5 squares moving through enemies; this
movement provokes opportunity attacks; Spawning Form makes an attack
against each creature it passes through; attack +8 vs. Reflex; 1d10+5
necrotic acid damage; on hit target is engulfed and is carried inside the
spawning form. Trapped creatures take 5 ongoing necrotic acid damage
and must make an Athletics or Acrobatics check DC 25 to escape
(escaping creatures can emerge in any free square adjacent to the
Spawning Form)

Acid Splashback (Immediate Reaction) acid
When hit by a melee attack Spawning Form may make an immediate Acid
Splash attack against the attacker; attack +9 vs. Reflex; 1d6+4 acid
damage

Major Cold Susceptibility (Immediate Reaction)
If Spawning Form takes cold damage it becomes dazed (save ends)

Bloodied Regression (Immediate Reaction)
When Bloodied Spawning Form splits and regresses to an earlier state. It
becomes 5 Lurking Spores, 3 of these Spores will stay and fight whilst 2
Spores will attempt to escape to start their cycle of life again.

Alignment Unaligned Languages
Skills endurance +13, athletics +14, perception +12
Str 20 (+9) Dex 16 (+7) Wis 16 (+7)
Con 18 (+8) Int 14 (+6) Cha 3 (+0)

I am not sure I am 100% happy with these, so any thoughts would be welcome.

Also I have not attempted the ultimate death ooze - the Cyst, yet as I am not sure quite how I am going to do it as it is a static creature that slowly spreads and spawns Lurking Spores.

Sporemine

First Post
Well, things are looking good

A couple of points:

Death ooze wise, the ooze eats and destroy's undead, absorbing their negatve energy to grow in size.

I like how the ooze growth is turning out but how about creating others to use as drones, scouts, gatherers and other things that will not grow.

One more minor thing the ooze does not need to be acidic but should have some way of crippling the undead it consumes. Try a disease that affects only undead, slowly crippling them. This used in conjunction with "the Hunger" or "Falazure's blessing" will create a deadly transformation into an undead horror which will slowly weaken until it can no longer move. After this stage a drone or scout will be sent to pick up the undead so that it can be fed to the ooze.​

I like the plague zombie but the grab is terrible. Look at the zombie in the monster manual for a grab attack

Also for the disease see "the hunger" on page one. This was created earlier and it works pretty well.

Just another point about the campagain and how far developed (1-10) the different "sides" are and general info.

The undead (7/10):

These hungering hordes are enemies of all and are commanded by a group of intelligent undead. Most are killed on sight. They roam everywhere and eat anything that moves. These are the creatures from this therad that fit into no other category.

The lost ones (1/10 [needs development]):

These are the undead that were unfortunate enough to keep their sanity after becoming infected. Shunned by all they created an elite force bent on the destruction of all who oppose them. They are mostly meathead types but elites nonetheless. They are commanded by a massive, deformed lump of flesh called the council. Any intelligent undead that are badly crippled are fed to the council, joining it and giving it their knowledge. It is well hidden in a cave that is heavily interspersed with the negative energy plane, constantly nourishing and healing the undead in it's area. They control some "fodder sqads" of mindless undead that they use for, obviosly, fodder. They hold up in their cave (they call it "the citiadel") and use it as a home base. The lost ones can be reasoned with and are like most humans (only dead).

Arri-vastril (8/10):

A massive holy creature from another plane, it controls it's minions and humanoids take shelter in it's aura. It feeds on undead and resides in an old temple of pelor. (for more detailed stats see Mesh Hong's post on the arri-vastril)

Humanoids (1/10):

Not much to say, as they are everywhere. Needs more development. The pcs are in this group. (we need some raiders, some governments, strongholds, good people, evil people, insane people, insane people with big weapons, etc. This offers almost limitless possibilities for quests)

Death ooze (4/10):

Inert blobs of goo that eat undead and live near portals to the negative energy plane. Needs more development. Enemies of all they send out smaller versions of themselves to do their bidding.

The humanoids, lost ones and death oozes need more work. Other then that things are looking good.

Thank you again for the stats Mesh Hong.

-Sporemine

Exen Trik

First Post
Death ooze wise, the ooze eats and destroy's undead, absorbing their negatve energy to grow in size.
Ah-ha! This reminds me of an old idea I had: An undead that devours corpses and other undead, shifting its existing body parts in order to incorporate them to itself. It would not only become large, but the added parts would allow it to gain more attacks, have added reach, or become more mobile. It would have a few enhanced forms available which would only function when it isn't bloodied, which represents it losing too much material to work with.

The whole thing would be a writhing mass of vertebra and limbs and skulls around a matted core of rotting flesh and bone, which would occasionally make a horrible cracking and slurching sound when its mass readjusts.

...Ok I'll admit, the idea is basically a zombie version of a Transformer. I still like it though :)

ghearus

Explorer
Icky

The moment I thought of zombies I thought, hey, what happens if a zombified eladrin teleports.. err teleburst?

Thus was born the Rotten Feywalker:

The Rotten Feywalker is a zombie that was created from an Eladrin. Flickering between the Feywild and the World, these creatures walk both planes looking for their next meal.

When a Rotten Feywalker is bloodied they remnants of the Eladrin’s primal mind take hold and attempt to Feystep away from the source of the last attack. This Feyblast attack is catastrophic as part of the Feywalker teleports away and the rest explodes in necrotizing gore. Appearing up to five squares away, the Feywalker Remnant chooses a new target and moves in for the attack.

rotten-feywalker.jpg

feywalker-remnant.jpg

Remove ads