The United States of Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryujin

Legend
That is a semantic game no one is going to win any points on. There is simply no straight comparison between the term American and European. I do not think there even is a widely used term to refer to all people from the Americas. Such as why the games being held in Toronto as we type are qualified as the Pan-American games. I mean, calling us all Pan-Americans is comprehensible, but not popular. Certainly rolls off the tongue better than "New Worlders" though.

You want 'em? Those games are messing up my commute and I think that Gautier would relish the chance to rent out Shannonville for track and cycling events ;)

Kaodi

Hero
I think that this merely illustrates that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Look, dude, stop telling me about my culture. Ancestors do *not* qualify you to do so, any more than my Viking ancestors allow me to tell Swedes about their own national and cultural identity. This conversation is becoming really uncomfortable, and I don't understand how you don't see how. Please stop, huh? :)

Living in a colonial society might make one think of these things different. Be thankful that you do not have anyone telling you you do not belong in the country of your birth and the only one you have ever lived in. This is the reason why when some people float the idea of more open "borders" between the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada I think they are making a rather significant mistake by assuming the colonial difference is not fundamental; that the UK is sufficiently like the other three. Nope.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Would you defend Alaska if it had no resources?

All places have resources worth keeping. If Alaska didn't have oil, gold, trees & the like, it would still have deep reserves of independence and crazy, both of which are held in extremely high value in the USA. See also Florida, California, Montana and my home state, Louisiana.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
All places have resources worth keeping. If Alaska didn't have oil, gold, trees & the like, it would still have deep reserves of independence and crazy, both of which are held in extremely high value in the USA. See also Florida, California, Montana and my home state, Louisiana.

I think you understand what my question is, Danny. You're brighter than I am; you know exactly what my question is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads