DMs Guild The Warlord posted on DMs Guild

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
The revised Warlord has been posted on DMs Guild.

WarlordSmall.jpg

The revised version adds the Diplomat subclass and updates many of the abilities to be more straightforwaard. This includes Commands and full inspirational healing.

Also included is the revised Marshal as an alternate version that uses Ki or life force energy as a power source and Encouragements instead of Commands.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The revised version adds the Diplomat subclass and updates many of the abilities to be more straightforwaard. This includes Commands and full inspirational healing.

Also included is the revised Marshal as an alternate version that uses Ki or life force energy as a power source and Encouragements instead of Commands.
Is this an updated version of the class from the Obvious Arcana you did?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Yes, I added the Diplomat full action granting archetype. Tweaked some of the abilities and released it as a stand alone product flat out called the Warlord since the Marshal was a bit buried in Obvious Arcana.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
As my products are PWYW there aren't very many cash sales.

Both Beasts and Obvious Arcana have been revised twice, and I hate to do a third unless I do a major expansion or revision. And I haven't seen enough feedback for that.

TwoSix

Diplomat and Opportunistic Strike: Much wow. Many kudos. Amaze.

I really like the interplay between Strike and Opportunistic Strike, where you can spend a bonus action + Command point to let the ally gain their hex or sneak attack damage, or just let them do a straight attack if you don't want to spend the point. You're still rewarded for having a rogue in the party, but you're rewarded with options, not by being OP.

Still reading, but one quick thing I noticed...Diplomat gets a feature to give up more than one attack with Opportunistic Strike, but that ability also seems to be baked into the base form of Opportunistic Strike. Last minute design change, or is there something I'm missing?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I changed Opportunistic Strike at the last minute and opened it up. The mention at Diplomat is legacy.
Open to feedback - my first pass made it Diplomat's thing but it could also be Healer and Skald's thing.

Bonus action Help is currently their thing.

There's still a legacy stacking disclaimer on Commander Initiative that could be dropped. The disclaimers make more sense in Obvious Arcana's context.

Per the usual discussion it seems better to open up options than to restrict them.

The new version is bordering on OP in the healing department but I'm open to revision. The Healer could pretty much do nothing but heal between Grant, Rally, and Healing kit's but it would be a losing battle.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Okay, a few other nitpicks, nothing major:

Grant Vitality - Is the Hit Die spent for Grant Vitality expended, or is it purely to determine the die size?
Academy of Medicine - No proficiency or Expertise in Medicine? I know Medicine is a fairly useless skill, but I kind of assumed from the flavor text.
Academy of Officers - I don't know if not allowing the +2 Initiative and Alertness feat to stack is really necessary...you can't go more first than first, and someone with Alertness has already made a pretty big commitment to going first.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Okay, a few other nitpicks, nothing major:

Grant Vitality - Is the Hit Die spent for Grant Vitality expended, or is it purely to determine the die size?
Just to determine healing - no expenditure.

Academy of Medicine - No proficiency or Expertise in Medicine? I know Medicine is a fairly useless skill, but I kind of assumed from the flavor text.

Medicine isn't required for any of the abilities. Resuscitate and the Heal kits don't require it. It is on the initial warlord list.

Academy of Officers - I don't know if not allowing the +2 Initiative and Alertness feat to stack is really necessary...you can't go more first than first, and someone with Alertness has already made a pretty big commitment to going first.

I missed removing this. It made more sense when it was next to the "No stacking" house rules.

Thanks for the feedback. I have 2 corrections to make so far.

Remove ads