• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wheel of time has ended...

Allanon

Explorer
Although I grew bored with the Wheel of Time series after book 6 (actually book 5) the ideas it presented and the world that he created was on par with those of other great fantasy writers. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Treebore said:
Yes. Robert had said numerous times that his wife has "ghost written" the whole series, and she will be the one who finishes it. Book 12 was almost finished by Robert anyways.
I am indifferent on this whole matter because Jordan was 5 books into his series when I first heard of him and I wasn't a big reader back then. In later years I finally picked up Terry Goodkind even though he was 7 books into his series and loved it so I really want to give Jordan a chance. I would love to read the wheel of time as I have heard a lot of good things, but I keep thinking that it is such a huge task that I'm not sure I have the energy or time to read 12 books.

So, is it for sure going to end and is it worth it?

Arthgon

First Post
Robert Jordan Passed away

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of Robert Jordan. He and his books shall not be forgotten.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I never read the man's books, but I feel for his family and fans.

Now all I can think of is that somebody better get George R. R. Martin on a diet and exercise regimine so he gets a chance to finish his series. :heh:

Celebrim

Legend
He had a true writer's craftmanship, and an amnesiac market hawker's gift of story telling.

I doubt he'll ever be remembered as a great writer. When Tolkien said, "Not all those that wander are lost...", it wasn't Robert that he had in mind. I knew from about the 4th book that he'd ripped off too many ideas to ever finish this thing in hiis lifetime. And he had far too much talent as a writer of bodice rippers to turn out literature. But, he gave alot of people alot of pleasure, including me, and he could write in that white hot fire of genius as prettily and as dramaticly as anyone in the business. I know that there are a lot of people who normally turn up thier noses at such fare who count 'Wheel of Time' among thier guilty pleasures, because they really could be a pleasure to read.

I stumbled on 'Eye of the World' in an unclaimed baggage store not long after it had come out, and picked it up for I think $1.49. Leaving aside that he was like so many in copying Tolkien through the first half of the book, I found him a great read, and eagerly devoured the first sequel when it came out. What I saw was I thought a writer truly coming into his own, and I recommended him to my play group - with the result of them all becoming immediately hooked.

They stayed exicted about him, long after the disappointing 5th book made me give up on the series. In one of the most gratutious cases of shark jumping since a very similar turn of tone in David Wingrave's initially equally promising 'Chung Kuo' series, Rand ice cave tryst pretty much marked the beginning of the end of the increasingly slow and melodramatic series. But it was a great scene, wasn't it? Page after page is like that. I'm sure I don't have to recall to mind any of the great ones from the book.

Man, could that man craft a scene. Alot of people have written better novels than Robert, but no one could write better than Robert.

Anyway, that's what I have to say about the dead and what he meant to me. My condolences to his friends and family.

Celebrim
Former 'Child of the Light' on the Wheel of Time MUSH (along with Dune and Elendor, the only literary inspired MUSHs I ever visited)

William drake

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
Speculation that someone will pick up and finish the series? I admit that I found the whole thing tedious after a while but I would love to have someone finish the series and the whole thing would make for an interesting, if lengthy, summer read.

It will get finished...someone will pick it up. And at this point, even though I wasn't a great fan of it or him, I think it would be the right thing to do.

Steel_Wind

Legend
el-remmen said:
I never read the man's books, but I feel for his family and fans.

Now all I can think of is that somebody better get George R. R. Martin on a diet and exercise regimine so he gets a chance to finish his series. :heh:

While I agree with the sentiments (and I would truly be upset to hear GRRM died, finished series or not), I find it a tad ironic for diet and exercise advice to be given on ENWorld. ;)

Give George a black 3x t-shirt and he fits in pretty well with the grognard fatbeard gamers here. That's because he is one.

GRRM is a real fan and a real gamer; in ways that are good - and in the ways that are less than optimal, too.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Remove ads