• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The whip needs love.(updated last time)

MDragonG

Explorer
*** Please reply on the The feat in this post not that you feel a Whip is not a killing weapon or about Indiana Jones***

I have been trying to make a character with the whip as a main hand weapon. Other than paladin(smite) or Fighter/rogue(sneak attack) I see no reason for this as a weapon at all.

So I thought I would make a feat to try to address this issue. Here is what I came up with.
This is what me and my other DM buddy came up with and I think we are going with this.

+1 DEX
When you make a successful melee attack with a whip on your turn you may use a bonus action to trip or disarm the target of the successful attack.

The saving throw DC to resist the trip or disarm attempt is 8 + your proficiency modifier + either your STR or DEX modifier (your choice).

You may use the whip as a tool to perform stunts (use your imagination). Add your proficiency modifier to ability checks using the whip.

Thoughts Changes Love it hate it let me know.

Last edited:

sulimo0310

Explorer
Change it to "if you successfully hit with an attack, you may make a trip or disarm attempt as a bonus action" and I am sold. The rest is solid.

Unwise

Adventurer
I think that letting somebody try and disarm with a bonus action is cool enough, without the double proficiency thing. You could say the DC is 10+proficiency if you wanted to move it away from being a Str reliant athletics check, make it statless instead.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
A Valor Bard or Bladesinger can take Spell Sniper and use Booming Blade with it.

It is thematic as the whip cracking can be the 'booming' part of it. You can also take Thunderclap, Shatter, etc. for spells.

Because you have reach, the enemy will need to take the extra damage to get to you.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I suppose it would be unhelpful and pedantic to point out that the whip was not actually (with some variations proving very minor exceptions) an instrument used for warfare? At least to the best of my knowledge.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I suppose it would be unhelpful and pedantic to point out that the whip was not actually (with some variations proving very minor exceptions) an instrument used for warfare? At least to the best of my knowledge.

Dr. Jones and the Belmonts would like a word with you.

The whip is well represented in popular fantasy fiction.

MDragonG

Explorer

Is it realistic to shoot 5 crossbow bolts or arrows in 6 seconds? Is it realistic to swing a great sword 5 times in 6 seconds. Is it realistic that i can cast a spell? NO! why can't some people just use their imagination

This game is fantasy, just let your imagination go wild...well within reason.

Remove ads