The Whiterock Castle Campaign- Nothing better than a good old sausage in you.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
As the Lost Boys draw to a close then another campaign starts up, we're playing using RPTools and Skype, and every week so far- it's been fun. Once again it's another Goodman Games product that's being put to the test DCC51 Castle Whiterock, and so to begin with here's a little intro to the characters- Twiglet comes first.

Oh and if anyone has any experiences of using RPTools then feel free to share, I'm having real issues with Dundjinni, like even the Demo doesn't work properly, Java problems- any advice...

Castle Whiterock- The Backstory.
Turn 1.

Twiglet’s story.​

“But I don’t want to go.”
“You’re going son, there’s nothing you can say that’ll make me change my mind. It’s for your own good.”
“Ohhh Daaaad.”
“Sh’up.”
“But Daaaaad.”
“Nope. You’re going.”

Twiglet looks up into his father’s tired eyes, one-hundred-and-fifty years hauling slabs of granite from “Pog’s Granitarium- Rock Bottom Prices”, a delivery driver, two Fire Beetle mounts (Bert & Ethel) and a hole in the ground called home- that’s all he has to show for a century-and-a-half of hard labour. One-hundred-and-fifty years, a hell of a long time, and the last thirty without mum, a shale slide, treacherous at the best of times, still they were lucky to survive it- mum got away though, rumour has it she’s shacked up with Mister Lard the fattest dwarf in the seven clans, he’s got a finger in every pie- and an inside toilet, all the luxuries. No wonder she left them.

Twiglet doesn’t want to go though. To leave his old dad, adventuring, it doesn’t sound safe, lots of other dwarves went away to prove their worth, topside, the human lands- they never came back, none of them.

Some said they made their fortunes- why would they come back, to this dump. Nobody said that they had just died up there, nobody, everyone thought it though, they had to- it was true.

Twiglet looks around him, the one bed mansion, actually hole in the ground, they call home- a palace to him, all he ever wanted, warmth- well actually not a lot of warmth; shelter- actually not much in the way of shelter either, especially when the middens flood, he’d been knee deep in turds in the summer of 83, during the Kaka Keepers strike; and dad- dear old dad.

“Here, take this.”

Twiglet looks over, his father holds out a parcel, wrapped in a dull red neckerchief, his father’s neckerchief, the one he wore to work, day-in day-out, for the past Moradin knows how many years.

“What is it?”
“Something for the journey.”

He takes it, bundles it away into his backpack, out of sight, out of mind.

The silence goes on a while.

His dad wads tobacco, stuffs the plug into his pipe, then lights it, Black Scumble, he’ll be out of it in soon, if he’s got something to say to him, some last words, parting wisdom, then he’d better get it said soon, because in twenty minutes dear old dad will be talking to the walls.

About mum again.

“Dad.”
“It’s no use…”
“I know, I just wanted to, well…”
“Well what?”
“I just wanted you to know, well…”

His father strikes another match; it’s hard to light Black Scumble, wet to the touch- greasy even.

“What is it?” Almost irritated.
“I…”
“Spit it out son.”
“Mum shouldn’t have left, she was mad too, I mean we don’t have much but you stick it out don’t you, if you’ve taught me anything…”
“I’ve taught you nothing. Nothing worth learning. Until now.”
“Dad?”
“Go son, don’t come back, don’t even look back, there’s nothing here for you- portering knocked off lumps of mica, lichen rubs to make them look like granite, that’s no job for a young dwarf- you know how to swing an axe, the rest you’ll pick up. Adventuring son, that’s the future.”
“But I…”
“Son. Son, please listen to me- I know what I’m saying, stay here and you’ll end up like me, waiting centuries for someone to tell you that you’re dead already, that nothing is real anymore, that all your dreams and hopes have turned to chippings. Don’t waste your life like I have, too long going nowhere, and back-breaking work- I’d rather have died on an Orc’s axe… well not an Orc, a Giant- one of them big ones with the bald heads, throw stones around…”
“Stone Giants”
“Yeah them, with the bald heads, I’d rather have died battling a Stone Giant, a chieftain mind, than… this.”
“I don’t want to though- I’m scared dad. Really scared.”

His father stares at him, puffs contentedly on his pipe a while longer.

“Good, you’re supposed to be, scared is Moradin’s way of letting you know you’re alive- scared is good, just remember though… you’re a dwarf, don’t act scared, of anything, ever- and don’t say anything unless its worth saying- strong and silent, like the stone.”

His father reaches out, for a second Twiglet thinks, but his dad’s hand passes on, over his shoulder and smoothes the stone wall behind him.

“Go now.”
“Dad I…”
“Taciturn, grumpy even, that’s the dwarven way. Don’t let them see you’re frightened, not ever- even when it’s terrifying- Orcs, Goblins, Bugbears, Trolls, Giants- scares the iron pyrite out of me just thinking about it.”

His dad coughs, remembers what he’s saying, and to who, he bites his tongue.

“You know what I mean?”

Twiglet nods.

“Now your mother, your mother was a strong woman, she wasn’t scared of anything.”

His dad rises, stumbles the two yards to the cold stone wall that’s marked forever with his filthy hand prints, over the years the indentations have taken the shape, exactly, of his father’s hands. The old dwarf’s body shakes and strains as he braces and begins to push against the unmoving, unfeeling stone.

Nothing happens, just as it had been doing for decades.

The old dwarf trembles, tears come unbidden.

Twiglet turns away quickly, goes to leave.

His dad turns swiftly to face him.

“And don’t, whatever you do, don’t tell them you’re a girl.”

Twiglet nods once, grimaces, and heads off.

Out of the mine, out of the clan, out of the cave, out of the dark.

He passes two guards on the way- they watch him for a while, they know where he’s going, there’s only one thing in the direction Twiglet’s travelling- the surface.

The younger of the two dwarves makes the sign of the Hammer and shivers, the other chews tobacco and looks away.
“You know where he’s goin’.”
“Moradin help him.”
“It’s too late for that lad.”
“Who was it- I didn’t see properly?”
“I think his name’s Twiglet… funny looking little… a nobody really.”
“He live in that hole in the ground on Feldspar Way?”
“He did.”
“With his dad?”
“His dad died thirty years ago, shale slide- big one- didn’t stand a chance.”

The younger dwarf nods and goes back to leaning on his axe.
“And put some bloody pants on before the Sergeant comes round again.” The older dwarven guard spits and shakes his head.

Twiglet strides on into the light, it’s blinding.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Turn 2.

Grungarak’s story.​

It’s a cold morning.

Frost on the grass, a low mist hugs the ground, rolls forward to surround the bed roll, two paces away a fire smoulders, the remains of a rough camp illuminated in dawns first light.

The bed roll stirs.

PARP.

And farts.

More movement.

Eventually the creature emerges, grinning, taking in lungfuls of the crisp morning air, it exhales smoky white clouds, snorts and stretches, huge fangs clacking together in its oversized jaw.

It’s an Orc.

Nearly- the ears are strange, human like, not the large flapping angular ears of an Orc, clearly the creature is of mixed heritage.

A Half-Orc, the bastard breed- outcasts by birth, wastrels and bandits by trade, doomed to short violent lives.

The Half-Orc grins again.

PARP

Farts some more and settles to stoking the fire, dry wood is added, then moss for kindling, sparks fly and very soon the fire burns brightly.

Less than five minutes later the low mist is being chased away by the smell and smoke of burning sausages.

Burning because the Half-Orc is no longer in sight, somewhere not to far away a horse whinnies.

The flop of feet landing on the hard packed dirt, the rider has dismounted.

A man enters the clearing, a tall man, armed and armoured, cloaked against the cold- he’s very big, and very tall, a huge man in fact.

The man looks around, expert eyes take in his surroundings, the rough camp, the abandoned bed roll, and finally the burning sausages- instincts take over, he’s lightning fast.

At the fire in an instant, rescuing the cindered sausages, he juggles the burnt bangers in his hands- blowing hard trying to cool them down.

“Put the sausages down.” The voice is half growl, half whisper- and all menace.

The hulk of a man turns slowly; he’s facing the Half-Orc, who has a bow in hand, arrow notched, ready to fly, and pointing right at him, the space between his shoulder blades itches.

The huge man drops the sausages.

FWUNG

An arrow flies.

Lances into one of the tumbling bangers and thuds into a tree about thirty feet beyond, the sausage still impaled upon it.

“I meant back in the pan.” The Half-Orc growls again, genuinely unhappy.

“They were burning.”
“Then take the pan off the fire.”
“Oh.”

The big man shrugs.

“Can I…”
“No.” The Half-Orc is quick to counter.

Silence stretches, the Half-Orc has another arrow notched ready to fly, the huge man doesn’t remember seeing him do that.

“Where are they?” The Half-Orc growls.
“Cillamar- Whiterock, the castle, somewhere… They went into the depths, they’ve been there… years.” The huge man gulps.

The Half-Orc walks, scratch that, strides forward- towards the huge man who tenses- ready to shift his weight, draw his blade, it doesn’t happen- nothing happens the Half-Orc walks straight past him, following the line of his arrow.

Up close the huge man can see, and feel, just how big the Half-Orc is, a head bigger than he is- nearly seven feet tall but whip thin, the Half-Orc’s face a patchwork of scars.

It doesn’t even acknowledge him, he turns to stare, the Half-Orc’s back is all he can see- now’s the time he thinks, his palms feel greasy, and then just as swiftly he decides that now is not the time- the Half-Orc’s a coiled spring, he can tell. The creature’s not in the least bit frightened of him, which is nearly all of the huge man’s advantage gone.

The Half-Orc reaches his errant sausage, shoulders his bow, retrieves his spent arrow and claims his breakfast, munches, then turns back to the huge man.

“You can go now.” The Half-Orc growls and licks a finger clean.
“My money…” The huge man holds the thought, forget the pay, chalk it up to experience, he saunters off, nearly tripping- trying to get away and yet affect nonchalance, in truth his cover is blown, and he knows it.

“Your fee is on your horse, saddlebag, right-side.” The Half-Orc nods.
“But how did you…”

The Half-Orc’s stare cuts right through him, head down he breaks into a trot- and is quickly gone from sight.

Soon after sounds come back of a horse departing at speed.

Grungarak, the Half-Orc, kicks around in the ashes of the fire, spots something, bends low and scrabbles, comes up with the dropped, now almost charcoal, sausage.

He sniffs it warily, blows ash and cinders from the offending banger.

“Whiterock then.” He whispers.

And bites.

CRUNCH

“Me fecking toof.”

Grungarak holds his jaw tight shut, hops a little from foot-to-foot, and eventually flings the offending sausage into the undergrowth.

The sun rises, crests a nearby hill and pours over the scene, the Half-Orc attempts feebly to shield his eyes as he continues to caper and dance.

A sudden flash of gold winks and signals, a locket on a chain around the Half-Orc’s neck, it twists and dances in the air as Grungarak continues to pogo and not-so-silently curse.

“’kin toof ya buggeroid.”

Aah - another story to distract me when I'm supposed to be working ... excellent! :D

So, is this the same group of players as "Lost Boys"? In which case can we expect the same degree of insanity? ;)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Aah - another story to distract me when I'm supposed to be working ... excellent! :D

So, is this the same group of players as "Lost Boys"? In which case can we expect the same degree of insanity? ;)

Alas no, an explanation will follow at the end of the Lost Boys story, this bunch of miscreants are hard core players, via the magic of RPTools and Skype, I'm back in touch with some of my players of old, and every Sunday night (subject to the complexities of life) we spend four or more hours moving little tokens around the maps I've drawn- much fun is had by all. That's not to say they wont provide their own version of insanity.

The backstories continue...

Turn 3.

Gina’s story.

The seminary of Garl Glittergold, Little Fell Delvings, 102 Scarp Road, and dull, dull, dull.

Again.

“May Glittergold forgive me for what I am about to do.”

The young Gnome checks her bundle again, all that she owns- it doesn’t amount to much, still at least it’s not very heavy. She stuffs the bundle in her pack; it fits easily, hikes the straps up and secures her burden.

Looks around- one last time.

Cold, austere- not very cheery she thinks, she’ll be glad to escape this place, cold comforts, nothing to hold her here- except...

She quickly removes the pack, just as quickly removes the bundle from it and rips, almost, into it- fishes about furiously looking for… got it.

Her hands clasp the odd shaped stone, cold to the touch- it was her Uncle’s, he gave it to her, he said… no, not now, she must leave.

Less than a minute later and she’s almost out the place, nearly free, when…

“Gina?”

She turns.

Father Titanium “Hammer of the God’s” Boyle, a big Gnome, just over three feet tall, once, now stooped and bent- ancient.

“Gina?” The old Gnome barks again.
“I’m going.” Her voice sounds small, distant- detached, worst of all, uncertain.
“Gina.” Boyle’s voice is soothing, calm, and above all else certain.
“I have to… I can’t stay here, not one more day, and I can’t see him, never- I can’t, I just… can’t- I can’t go back. I have to find out.”

The ancient Gnome scuttles over to a pillar, to lean on, he’s out of breath by the time he gets there, he wheezes and gulps in air.

The silence thickens.

Gina doesn’t move.

“You sound like…” The ancient Gnome’s voice trails off; his eyes flash the missing words.
“I don’t care.” Gina’s certain of something at last.
“You do… Oh you do care, that’s the problem isn’t it?” Boyle grins; he has too few teeth to make a smile.

“Father, I have to go, I can’t stay here… this, I have to see if it’s true, what he says. I have to Father.”

Eventually the ancient Gnome nods.

Gina takes it as a signal, she moves away- slowly.

She doesn’t get far.

She turns.

Boyle is still stood there watching her leave.

“Tell him…” She starts and then discovers she has nowhere to go.
“I’ll tell him.” Boyle states, and nods again for good measure.

Father Titanium “Hammer of the God’s” Boyle looks down at his broken body, remembers- just for a second who he used to be, and straightens, it hurts- he settles back into his broken crouch.

He looks up.

Gina’s gone.

Two hours later the ancient Gnome stands before a mighty stone door, it has a small barred window, and a hatch- also made of stone. It’s a cell door, a very imposing cell door.

Boyle straightens again, tendons pop and bones creak, till his face is pressed close against the barred window, the ancient priest is clearly in excruciating pain- the effort, he catches his breath, gulps, and whispers.

“She’s gone.”

Boyle continues to strain, his face smudged against the bars, turns till his ear rubs hard against the cold metal- he waits for the reply.

“Gud-shhh.”

The word slithers out of who knows what, certainly not a mouth.

Father Boyle sinks back into his crouch, all his energy spent.

Above him a hand, of sorts, half-rubbery tentacle- complete with suckered cups, flops into the space between the bars, it cannot reach- no more than six inches above the ancient Gnome’s hairless head.

It squirms and coils, tries to stretch, to grasp… to crush the life out of the ancient Gnome, if it only it could reach.

“She’s gone to Whiterock.” Boyle mumbles and scuttles away, eager to escape.

The half-hand, half-tentacle stiffens.

Slowly retracts, back up to the bars, where it curls and grips, just for a second, forlorn, and then flops back into the lightless chamber beyond.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
I don't doubt it.

By the way - very fine writing so far, I'm already hooked.

Thanks as always, a pleasure to have you along for the ride, this game is really turning out to be my favourite campaign I've played for quite sometime, the story hasn't started really, we've just played our 6th seesion- finished an hour os so ago, we were only going to play for two hours- it's a school night, but we didn't stop for four hours, I think they're all enjoying the play. Anyway you'll see with the write ups, although advance warning is given, one of the characters managed to get sponsored this evening (in-game) by the International House of Pancakes, and yes- I did say that, he's going to get a pile of pancakes stenciled on his shield, and if asked will claim that it is the power of pancakes that fuels his fury- he of course is a Paladin by trade- what else could he be. I await the introduction of Maple Syrup flavoured gods.

And so, to conclude the backstories I believe...

Turn 4.

Ronald’s (& Reggie’s) story.

The Cillamar Academy for Waifs and Strays.

Fifteen years ago…

Two badly dressed boys stand either side of an open doorway, the one on the left is tall and rangy, the one on the right is much, much shorter- squat with a layer of puppy-fat. They must be six or seven years old.

Through the open doorway can be seen a huddle of other boys, jostling and fighting around a series of trestle tables.

One of them detaches from the crowd, carries a steaming bowl with him, balancing it carefully- grinning, towards the open doorway.

The squat boy peeks around the doorframe.

“This one.”
“Hmm, ‘kay.”

The rangy boy nods.

It all happens so quickly, here goes-

The bowl carrying child passes through the doorway.

“I’ll take that.” The squat boy takes the bowl.

SLUG

The rangy boy punches the bowl-less child in the face, a tooth flies out and the child crumples- begins to bawl and scream.

His ambushers flop to the floor behind their screaming victim and using their fingers scoop the hot porridge out of the bowl, stuffing their laden digits in their greedy mouths.

The pair blow on their burning fingers between scoops.

“BINGO.”

Matron, a very large woman, appears in the doorway, rolls up her sleeves and levers the Bingo twins to their feet- by their reddening ears.

The squat boy, still has the bowl in hand, he continues to feed- gulping down what’s left of the meal.

The rangy boy fishes in Matron’s pocket, unseen, quickly hides away a crumpled packet of “Fizzbang’s Red Wallops”, a hard rock Dwarvern candy- one piece will last you a weekend, also useful as doorstops.

“You little bastards.” Matron calmly states, and then crashes the Bingo twins heads together.

CLONK

And again.

CLONK

And again.

CLONK.

Neither of the boys make a sound- stoic, they take their punishment.

The Cillamar Special School for Vagabonds and Ne’er-do-wells.

Ten years ago…

The rangy boy is now a young man, he’s taller, thinner, and sports a bum-fluff moustache- he’s still badly dressed, mostly rags.

The squat boy is also now a young man, he’s put on weight, but not much in the way of height, decidedly Dwarven in shape and size, he too sports the beginnings of a crooked moustache.

The pair stand either side of a dilapidated wooden gate, hidden behind a low hedgerow- crouched, waiting.

They’re in the gardens of the School, which are overgrown- ideal.

Someone’s coming.

A young man, well-dressed, or at least his ragged clothes are pressed and clean. He’s carrying a bag of what looks to be everything he owns.

The young man turns, waves at someone unseen.

“I’ll make you proud, just you see.” The young man calls back, then continues on, towards the gate, wiping his face with his sleeve.

The squat young man peeks around the hedge.

“This one.”
“Hmm, ‘kay.”

The rangy young man nods.

The bag carrying young man passes through the gate.

“I’ll take that.” The squat young man takes the bag.

SLUG

The rangy young man punches the bag-less young man in the face, a tooth flies out and the adolescent crumples- begins to bawl and scream.

His ambushers flop to the floor behind their screaming victim rip and tear at the bag, till its contents spill out, they grasp and stuff away all that they can hold.

The pair scrabble in the dirt.

“BINGO.”

Beadle, a large man, appears at the gate, rolls up his sleeves and levers the Bingo twins to their feet- by their reddening ears.

The squat young man continues to stuff away a battered and much fingered picture in a silver frame.

The rangy young man fishes in Beadle’s pocket, unseen, quickly hides away a ragged leather coin pouch.

“You little bastards.” Beadle calmly states, and then crashes the Bingo twins heads together.

CLONK

And again.

CLONK

And again.

CLONK.

Neither of the twins make a sound- stoic, they take their punishment.

The Cillamar Juvenile Correctional Facility.

Five years ago…

The rangy young man has now come of age, he’s taller again, and even thinner, the bum-fluff moustache has filled out a little, although still a ragged mess- he’s still badly dressed, mostly rags.

The squat young man has also come of age, he’s put on weight again, but very little in the way of height, you’d think he was a Dwarf, his crooked moustache is still crooked and tufty.

The pair stand either side of the exit of a dark alley, hidden behind crumbling blackened walls, waiting.

They’re in the exercise yard; it’s a broken shadowy arena- ideal.

Someone’s coming.

A tattooed lithe man dressed in ragged prison uniform strides down the alley. He’s carrying a heavy crate, and grinning, there’s the clank of bottles coming from inside the crate.

The tattooed man turns, nods and gestures to someone unseen.

“Same time next week.” The tattooed man half-calls, half-whispers back, and continues on, towards the exit of the alley, struggling to lug his load.

The squat man peeks around the edge of the wall.

“This one.”
“Hmm, ‘kay.”

The rangy man nods.

The crate carrying tattooed man exits the alley.

“I’ll take that.” The squat man takes the crate.

SLUG

The rangy man punches the crate-less tattooed man in the face.

The tattooed man just stands there, then turns to face the rangy man.

WHUMP

The squat man kicks the tattooed man in the balls.

OOF

All the air goes out of him.

SLUG

The rangy man connects again, a tooth flies out and the tattooed man crumples- begins to bawl and scream.

His ambushers flop to the floor behind their screaming victim wrench and tear at the slats of the crate, till they’re through and at the moonshine, they grasp and stuff away all the bottles they can carry.

The squat man, bites and pulls out the cork of one of the bottle, swiftly upends it.

GLUG-GLUG-GLUG

“BINGO.”

Jailer, a very large man, appears in the alley exit, rolls up his sleeves and levers the Bingo twins to their feet- by their reddening ears.

The squat man continues to glug down the contents of the uncorked bottle.

The rangy young man fishes in Jailer’s pocket, unseen, quickly hides away an ancient looking key.

“You little bastards.” Jailer calmly states, and then crashes the Bingo twins heads together.

CLONK

And again.

CLONK

And again.

Blood pours.

CLONK.

Neither of the twins make a sound- stoic, they take their punishment.

Cillamar, outside the Slumbering Drake Inn.

Six minutes ago…

It’s dark down the alley.

Shadowy even.

Ideal.

The trained eye would be able to pick out a myriad details, loose paving stones curled at the edges with crumbling mortar, pools of oily water reflecting the toe nail of the moon’s chill light, the remains of a Hessian sack- ripped and torn, cast aside.

And two spots of denser shadow.

The half-blind, all blind-drunk, merchant staggers on into the darkness.

“This one.”
“Hmm, ‘kay.”

The fat drunk merchant staggers forward.

He’s suddenly not alone.

The man at his side is squat- thick set, very thick set, almost Dwarven in his build- his moustache is bushy and full, he’s armed and armoured.

The second man is tall, almost too tall, he must have to stoop to pass through doorways, and thin, almost unhealthily so. His moustache is a little lank but just as thick and fulsome. He’s also heavily armed and armoured.

“Give kindly.” The squat man spits out.
“Money.” The rangy man simply states and rattles the merchant, coins clank in his fat purse.

“For the orphans… and that.” The squat man states.
“Yeah. Money.” The rangy man continues to shake the merchant, his free hand searching out his equally fat purse.

“BINGO.”

Sergeant Gandle, a very, very large man hoves into view, rolls up his sleeves and clasps his arms around the shoulders of the Bingo twins- encompassing the Merchant also.

The squat man grins up at the Sergeant, nods.

The rangy young man fishes in the merchant’s purse- grabbing out handfuls of coins.

“You little bastards.” The Sergeant calmly states, and hugs the Bingo twins to him.

“Sergeant.” The squat man grins.
“Sarge.” The rangy man grins.

“Collecting?” The sergeant nods towards the fat drunk merchant, now sprawled in the gutter.

“S’right.” The squat man states.
The rangy man nods his reply.

“Good lads. Good lads.” Sergeant Gandle hugs the pair again- grins all round.

“Right then- good work. Well then… about your business.”

Sergeant Gandle shuffles off, back on his patrol, still chuckling to himself.

“G’night Reggie.”
“Night Sergeant.” The squat man states.
“ G’night Ronnie.”
“Nigh’ Sarge.” The rangy man states.

The pair move out of the shadows leaving the Merchant clutching the cold cobbled stone, a little light in the purse.

They head across the street, deserted at this time of night, to the Inn- The Slumbering Drake, and enter.

The Inn is jumping- and packed, a mixture of locals and visitors from far flung places.

The noise dies down- gradually.

The Bingo twins wait for silence.

“I am Reginald Bingo, Priest of Kord.” The squat man sternly qualifies.
“Ronald Bingo, Paladin of Kord.” The rangy man nods.
“Get your money out sinners.” The squat man orders.
“The temple is collecting.” The rangy man finishes.

To groans.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
And so with the characters established let’s head on into the action.

Castle Whiterock- Drunk in the Drake
Turn 5.

Cillamar, The Inn of the Slumbering Drake.

Lady Chauntessa, the owner of the Drake is wearing a red dress, it must have been very expensive, there’s very little of it and what there is qualifies as sheer.

“Ronnie, Reggie. Good to see you, grab a drink at the bar, I’m sure we can find something for the orphans, can’t we folks?”

The patrons of the bar grumble and look out their smallest coins, soon a steady stream of folk head for the bar to hand over coppers and the odd silver.

Ronnie and Reggie stand close by sipping small ales and pocketing the change as it arrives.

“Bless ya.” Reggie growls and grins.
“Strength before Honour.” Ronnie scowls.

More or less everyone has contributed, even those new to the area are chivvied into emptying out their pockets by the locals- while it can be entertaining, when the twins get fresh with non-payers, there’s always the chance the violence will spread.

Nobody likes an angry Paladin or Priest of Kord, keen to demonstrate the strength of their arm.

Ronnie once punched Cookie, the toothless Half-Ogre bouncer, when he failed to donate a portion of his Cream Scone- Cookie’s dentures, or lack of, a result of his love for all things cream-carrying or jam-laden.

The Paladin received a broken jaw and nose for his endeavours but remained silent throughout the beating, he also got a slice of the scone, although it took him thirty minutes to eat it.

“I’m not fecking givin’ you no muney.” It’s Arien the drunk, fairly predictable.
“Leave it, here.” Lady Chauntessa tries to diffuse the situation quickly, slips a gold coin onto the bar, Arien’s contribution and more.
“Fecka’s.” Arien sweeps the coin off the bar.

Silence reigns.

“I tried Arien, I tried.” Lady Chauntessa steps back out of harms way.

Ronnie rounds on the drunk, “Money.”
Arien tries to push the Paladin in the chest, Ronnie stands firm, the result being Arien instead pushes himself backwards into a gaggle of drinkers, glasses fall- confusion reigns for a moment.

Cookie lurches out of his huge chair by the door to the Inn, moves towards the impending fracas.

A young male Dwarf spins away from the bar, it has taken nearly an hour for Twiglet to pluck up the courage to order an ale, his first ever, and now most of his first pint has been spilt down his front.

“You…” Twiglet stares cross-eyed at the fallen Arien.
“Feckin’ stumpy.” Arien mumbles up at Twiglet.
“What’s your problem?” A smiling Gnome, Gina, curls her arm around her mug and attempts to lever the drunk upright, offers a helping hand at least.
Arien slaps the proffered hand aside.
“None of you know.”

The drunk totters to his feet.

Cookie stops en route, glances at Lady Chauntessa who shakes her head, the Half-Ogre returns to his seat.

The noise returns as Arien finds his way back to the bar.

Everything returns to normal.

For just a little while.

“NONE OF YOU KNOW. NONE OF YOU. None of you… None.” Arien screams and smashes his tankard against the bar, it shatters.

The drunk slumps forward and cries, ragged sobs.

Gina is the first on the scene.

“What is it? What’s wrong?”
“Whiterock, bastards… Bastards.” Arien staggers, clutches at the bar, almost slips over but at the last moment is held upright by a blonde haired young man, well dressed, clean cut.

Arien blinks in and out of consciousness, crying all the while.

Gunner, the young man, nods at Gina, and then Twiglet- “Help me to get him to a booth.”

The Gnome and the Dwarf do the best they can to drag Arien over to a seat in an empty booth. There the drunk is made comfortable.

“None of you know- Whiterock, bastards…” Arien mumbles.

“Gunner, Cillamar watch, off-duty” The clean cut young man offers his hand and smiles.
“Gina. Who’s he?” Gina shakes Gunner’s hand.
“Arien, he’s a drunk, don’t believe everything he tells you- bit of a story-teller, know what I mean.” Gina grins back.
“Twiglet- nice to meet you. What’s he on about- Whiterock?” Twiglet shakes Gunner’s hand.
“Oh. One of his stories.” Gunner replies.
“He’s a drunk, a filthy coward, a waste of space.” Ronnie arrives on the scene.
“Leave him be Ronnie.” Gunner reaches out to touch the Paladin, calm him, thinks better of it. The Paladin growls at the assembled crowd.
“I ain’t no coward, no coward- slavers there, Whiterock.” Arien mumbles.
“What did he say?” Gina asks.
“Slavers, at Whiterock.” Twiglet states, “What’s Whiterock?”
“A ruin.” Everyone turns to stare, unseen and unheard in his approach a huge Half-Orc stands behind the assembled crowd watching, and listening, to the proceedings, Grungarak ignores the stares, concentrates on Arien- who continues to mumble to himself.
“I don’t know you?” Ronnie shifts his gaze.
The Half-Orc grunts, doesn’t look away from Arien.
“Have you contributed, the Church of Kord demands you make an offering?” The Paladin growls and holds out his hand.
It has no effect.
“I said…” The Paladin shoves his way to the Half-Orc.
“I heard.” The unblinking Grungarak continues to stare at Arien.
“SLAVERS- IRON MANACLE.” Who suffers some sort of seizure, ripping and tearing at his shirt.
Gunner is the first to react, trying to calm the drunk, he’s too late- Arien’s shirt is ripped open and on his back…

Scars- welts and tears, signs of the lash, used to excess.

Covering a huge tattoo of a pair of tightly manacled hands, fists clenched.

“Iron Manacle- Whiterock.” Arien half-cries, half-whispers and is back to sobbing and bawling, clearly lost in visions of pain, he thrashes and writhes trying to ward invisible blows.

Gina, Gunner and Twiglet do the best they can to hold him down, prevent the drunk from hurting himself.

The fit passes, and Arien is soon slumped over the table, snoring.

“Well…” Gina begins.
“I told you, don’t listen to him.” Gunner states.
“What’s at Whiterock?” Twiglet asks again.
“Monks.” Gunner quickly replies.
“What?” Gina wonders.
“Order of the Dawning, or Morning, Sun- something like that. Religious men, they’re looking for relics, there used to be a monastery there- or so they say. Nothing suspicious- keep themselves to themselves, pay their way. No trouble…” Gunner runs out of steam.
“Perhaps we should take a look- see if there’s anything we can do for them?” Gina states.
“Who’s this we?” Ronnie asks.
“I will travel with you.” Twiglet squeaks.
Gina nods and shakes the Dwarf’s hand.
“Gina, Priestess of Garl Glittergold, Holy Father and Protector of the Gnomes.” Gina states and smiles.
“Twiglet, er… Dwarven Warrior, in training.” Twiglet offers nervously.
“I will lead you, I know the way.”
The two demi-humans turn to stare at the Half-Orc, weigh up his words, Gina is unsure.
“Thanks. I mean… thank you.” Whereas Twiglet needs all the help he can get.

Grungarak turns to leave.

“We start early when the sun rises, its six hours to Castle Whiterock, bring food for three days, all you need- there’s no going back.”

“Okay.” Twiglet squeaks again.
“You’re on a wild goose chase, there’s nothing there.” Gunner states plainly.
“We’ll see.” Gina is unsure, about many things, including the Half-Orc.

Ronnie suddenly remembers that the Half-Orc hasn’t contributed, he’s mid-turn when Twiglet grabs him, which gets his attention. The Paladin spins around, fist already clenched, ready to lash out- he hesitates, Twiglet smiles up at the ferocious Paladin.

“Will you come with us?”
“Please?” Gina adds her grin to the cause.

Ronnie looks back to the bar, then at the back of the receding Half-Orc heading straight for the door of the Inn, and then over to his brother, Reggie, Priest of Kord.

Reggie meets his gaze, grins- a cruel smile.

“The Strength of Kord will lead the way.” Ronnie repeats, not turning, and strides towards the bar.

“Thank you sir.” Twiglet calls after him.
“What’s your name?” Gina asks.

The Paladin turns, “I am Sir Ronald Bingo of Cillamar.” He looks stern, then suddenly softens.

“You can call me Ronnie.”

Twiglet and Gina smile, reassured.

Gunner is not so sure, the threesome watch the Paladin head back to his brother, when he’s far enough away Gunner whispers, “Bingo twins.”
“Who?” Gina turns to stare.
“Bingo twins- Ronnie”, Gunner nods towards the Paladin, “and Reggie”, then nods at the Paladins drinking companion, “the Bingo twins- maniacs, fanatics. They’re mad, both of them- it’s been nice knowing you.” Gunner half-grimaces, half-smiles, nods once and then strides away.

Twiglet grins at Gina.

Gina doesn’t look so sure.

“It’s exciting isn’t it?” Twiglet declares.
“Mmm.” Gina reserves judgement.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
So we’ve got-

Gina Female Gnome Priest of Garl Glittergold.
Twiglet (Fe)Male Dwarf Fighter.
Grungarak Male Half-Orc Ranger.
Ronnie Bingo Male Human Paladin of Kord.

The last character is one of the Pre-Gens available in the module, the player turned up without one, Ronnie may get replaced a little way into the piece, or maybe he’ll end up dead, maybe they all will.

So three warrior types and a cleric-, no rogue, no magic-user. Not my idea of a balanced party but what do I know, I’ve only been playing the game for the best part of a quarter of a century.

Castle Whiterock- The Road to Ruin.
Turn 6.

The Road to Castle Whiterock

It’s early the next morning, very early- and they’re on the road, and already not talking.

Except for Twiglet.

“I’m very nervous.” Twiglet nudges Gina who’s watching the Half-Orc Grungarak out front, leading the way.

The track through the trees to Castle Whiterock is mostly overgrown, although the path is obvious, dotted along the way are dozens of dark stone heads, ancient moss covered statues- long-faced idols scarred by time and nature.

Twiglet and Gina were at first interested in the strange stone monoliths, however after passing the thirty-first of them then they deserve nothing more than a cursory glance, they’re markers- to commemorate the road that once lead to Castle Whiterock, now nothing more than an overgrown trail.

Ronnie, the Paladin, strays a little way back- where he can see them all, he keeps a close watch, and his hand on his sword.

Gina looks at Twiglet, grins a little, “don’t be, it’ll be okay.” Gina lies.
“I’ve never done this before, adventuring- I used to work at Pog’s Granitarium- Rock Bottom Prices, do you know it?” Twiglet continues, with an eager smile.
Gina shakes her head.
“We’re famous for our Mica, lovely stuff, the sheen… Anyway, what do you think we’ll find ahead- at the Castle.”
“Monks.” Gina states and shrugs.
“I’ve never seen a Monk- what’re they like. Are they very hairy?”
Gina opens her mouth once or twice, but continues walking- “Hairy?”
“Mmm. Why are they looking for Relics, I thought they liked curly-fruit, I mean bananas?”
“Monkeys.” Gina smacks the flat of her hand against her forehead.
“Mmm?”
“That’s monkeys, these are Monks.”
“Oh. What are Monks like?”
“They’re religious, a bit faraway like, and they dress bad and wear flip-flops.”
“Flip-flops?” It’s Twiglets turn to be confused.
“Like sandals.” Gina explains.
“Oh. Clip-clops, that’s what we call them, or Rock-slippers, we make them with layers of Sandstone and Pumice, they’re excellent for veruccas, actually I’m quite interested in podiatry- you know, as a hobby.”
Gina nods, no longer interested, the Half-Orc has suddenly stopped, he’s staring at the tree-line, and unlimbering his great axe, a monstrously ugly looking weapon.

“What’s…” Gina starts.
“This is my first time above ground”, Twiglet babbles on, “is the light always left on for so long?” Twiglet indicates the sun.
“Twiglet, I think…”

“AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.”

And from the tree-line they come, burly men, humans, badly dressed and wild looking, two from each side, and screaming.

They seem to be very mad about something, and have their weapons drawn.

The first pair double-team Grungarak, the first swings his club low, the Half-Orc dances back and creates an opening, brings his great axe down in an overhand stroke, the bandits arm is severed just below the shoulder, the man crashes to the floor- dead. Grungarak pivots and checks the other man’s blow- the guy has wild eyes, he looks out of it, however the sight of his comrade’s severed arm seems to be having some effect, the bandit gibbers and swings- and is blocked again.

Meanwhile.

Gina grabs Twiglet by the arm, trying to drag the Dwarf away from harm, the screaming humans, one with a shortsword the other with a spiked club, close the distance fast.
“Twiglet.” The Gnome screams, but it’s too late.

Twiglet rushes forward, somehow the Dwarf seems to have readied his great axe, Gina doesn’t remember seeing him unlimber the huge weapon.

CHUNK

The first bandit curtails his charge, his right leg now nothing more than a mess of blood, ripped flesh and shattered bone, he stumbles forward and crunches into the hard earth- dead.

“Wow. Mmm. Sorry- I’m…”

The other pulls up short, although still within striking distance, blinks once, then twice- turns tail and runs screaming into the dense woods.

“Sorry, I’m new…” Twiglet babbles.

Gina continues backing away, in a rush, the last of the bandits spies the Gnome, easier prey, he disengages from Grungarak who is almost sent sprawling when he over-extends himself with a wild swing, and screaming heads straight for the Gnome, club raised high.

CRUNCH

The Gnome finds the Paladin, Ronnie, who’s en route to save her; alas she only gets in the way, tripping the servant of Kord as he approaches at speed. The pair end up in a heap on the rough track, the last bandit, still wild-eyed, about to smash one of them to pieces.

THUNK

That is until Grungarak’s axe crashes into the man’s back- he collapses on top of the Paladin and the Gnome, dead.

The Half-Orc nods at Gina, and grins at Ronnie- raises an eyebrow, the Paladin, still sprawled on the floor, growls.

Suddenly the air is full of the sound of buzzing, Grungarak turns to stare, just in time to see Twiglet engulfed in a frenzied swarm of stinging hornets, which appear from nowhere, Twiglet flails and staggers trying to escape the storm, already stung all over.

“Aaaaarghelpmeeeeeeee.” The Dwarf staggers and swats as he stumbles forward, the hornets in hot pursuit.

Gina shuffles backwards in a rush, she’s up on her feet and scrambling away, “Help her”, she screams.

Ronnie is also on his feet, but alas lost for what to do next, “Kord…” he mumbles.

FWWWWWST

A smokestick flares and stepping into the swarm is Grungarak, the Half-Orc grabs hold of the stumbling Twiglet, hoists the Dwarf over his shoulder and retreats at speed, the dense burning fog keeping most of the hornets at bay.

Grungarak shambles away from the now dispersing swarm, constantly looking back, beyond the hornets, scanning the tree-line.

“Heal… him.” The Half-Orc shrugs the Dwarf off his shoulder and onto the ground. Twiglet stirs, “Exciting”, he mumbles and is sick down his armour. Gina’s quickly on the scene.

Ronnie stands tall, stares at the back of Grungarak’s head a while and then grimaces.

The Half-Orc’s off again, striding forward with purpose.

“Where you going?” Gina looks up.
“Wait there.” Gungarak orders.

Ronnie follows behind the Half-Orc, draws his longsword en route. Grungarak heads into the woods on the right hand side of the track- disappears from view.

The Paladin of Kord stares hard at the spot, a branch moves. He heads in.

Less than a minute later he finds the creature, bent down examining the ground.

“What is it?” The Paladin snarls.
Grungarak looks up, grins, “There was someone here.”
The Half-Orc stands and sniffs the air, looks behind him.
“They went that way.”
“Cillamar?”
Grungarak shrugs.
“Who was it?” Ronnie enquires.
“Where’s your brother?”
The Paladin screws his face up, “You…”
Both go for their weapons.

“Where are you?” Gina calls out.

They freeze.

“Are you there- Ronnie? Mister Half-Orc? Are you there?”

The two continue to stand statue.

“Are you there?” Gina sounds desperate, scared.

“Here.” Grungarak plainly states and strides towards the sound of the Gnome’s voice.

Ronnie waits a moment then bends to look at the ground, he can’t see anything there, he looks in the direction that the Half-Orc indicated, there’s nothing to see there either. The Paladin stands, sniffs the air- nothing.

“Kord give me strength.” Ronnie makes his way out of the woods.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Castle Whiterock- Therg’s nog Gog bug Korg.
Turn 7.

Five hours later, Twiglet’s back on his feet, although much subdued, for now, they’re on the outskirts of Castle Whiterock, which seems to be a solid wall of rock- probably a hundred feet height, perched atop it a single spire.

“There’s a cave there”, Gungarak points to the base of the cliff, to the east of where they stand in the last shadow of the woods.
“You seem to know a lot about this place?” Gina states.
Ronnie looks round to stare at the Half-Orc, awaiting his answer.
“Here before.”
“When?” The Paladin asks.
“Yesterday.”
“What for?” The Paladin takes over the interrogation.

Grungarak stares back, “So I’d know the way.”

“That’s clever.” Gina attempts to diffuse the moment, “isn’t it Twiglet?”
“Mmm.” The Dwarf nods, then shivers, remembering the fallen bandits shattered leg- there was a lot of blood.

“I don’t like this.” The Paladin of Kord states.

“We watch a while, see if anybody comes out, if not we enter.” Grungarak strides away, finds a tree to lean against and hunkers down.

The Paladin watches him go, “I said I don’t like this. Keep an eye on him.” The last warning is aimed at Gina, who gulps and turns to stare at Half-Orc.

“What are you called?” Twiglet stirs and finds her voice, “your name?”
Grungarak looks up at the Dwarf, “Grungarak.”
“Then thank you, Grungarak, thank you.”
The Half-Orc nods, settles down, and shuts his eyes.

“I don’t like it one bit.” Ronnie whispers.

The cave is damp, fat droplets drip, there was once a road here, through the mountain- its surface ruined now- cave mosses, lichen, fungi and pools of water have cracked and crumbled the stone.

“Bad job”, Twiglet mutters kicking at a pile of rubble, “bad job.”
“Shhhh.” The Half-Orc’s voice a hiss.
Ronnie looks stern, Twiglet mouths ‘sorry’, they head further in.

Grungarak, stops- signals for them to approach.

“A wagon.” The Half-Orc points at the echo of a carts wheel caught in a thin layer of horse dung on the stone.
“Monks?” Gina whispers back.
Grungarak shrugs, and moves off.

A minute or so later and the way ahead is curtailed by a huge wooden door, the ancient timbers show the signs of struggle, and latterly of repair.

“I’ll do the talking.” Grungarak whispers back, then counts his audience, one-two, where’s the Gnome?

KNOCK-KNOCK

“There’s a knocker.” Gina whispers back, although the whispering seems superfluous now.

Ronnie blinks hard, did she… Even the Half-Orc looks crestfallen.

SHHHDUD

A wooden hatch slides open in the door, it’s about half-way up, but the doors are huge, possibly ten feet tall.

“Who’s there?” A weasely voice.
“Kord guides our hand stranger, open this door or I will be forced to smash it down, you are being tithed.” Ronnie has one hand on the symbol of Kord that hangs around his neck, the other on the hilt of his sword.
“Shut up.” Grungarak coarsely whispers.
“Silence Orc. We are here in the name of Kord to collect your taxes, now open this…”
Ronnie suddenly flies hard right- WHUMP- and into the cavern wall, his nose bleeds a little.
Grungarak stands there, fist still clenched, “don’t ever call me- ORC”, he hisses.

The Paladin is lightning fast for a man his size, head down he catches Grungarak in the belly, continues his charge and thumps the Half-Orc into the opposite cavern wall.

OOOF

All the air goes out of the Ranger.

CRONK

Ronnie leans his head right back and then forward, as fast as it can go, and into the now bloody face of Grungarak.

The Half-Orc sees his chance and wraps his meaty arm around the Paladin’s neck, and lifts, for a second Ronnie kicks air, then he topples- face first into the rough stone floor.

“Er…”, Gina looks away from the fracas, back up to the weasely face behind the weasely voice, which is pressed against the hatch in the door. Gina shrugs.
“We’d like to come in.” Twiglet offers.
Gina nods, perhaps that will suffice.

“We are monks of the Dawning Sun Ord…” The weasely man at the window suddenly disappears from sight, there’s a noise from beyond the door, a sudden whispered conversation- someone is insisting on something.
Gina presses herself against the door, listens hard- “a door just opened, someone’s on the move”, she whispers back at Twiglet, who nods.

Behind the Gnome and the Dwarf the fight is resolving itself.

“Dew knot kawl me anOrc? Efer.” Grungarak offers through bloodied lips.
“Org, Hugman, Whagever? Gust keeg agay grom mig.” Ronnie responds, his nose at an odd angle.

The weasely face is back at the door. “We are the monks of the Morning… or Dawning Sun Order, we are seeking artefacts and lore from the ancient monetary, sorry monastery, that dweleth without, sorry, dweleth within in.” The face disappears again, there’s more muffled conversation, only this time it’s louder, “I can’t read this, its all smudged, have you used it… Oh you haven’t, urghhh, urghhh, urghhh- you’re dirty.”
Gina and Twiglet giggle.

Weasely’s back, “Who are you?”
“We’re here to…” Gina begins.
“For…” Twiglet starts up.
“Give us a minute.” Gina turns his back on the weasely man, Twiglet hums a happy tune, smiles now and then at the man, shrugs a bit too.

“Get up, the pair of you. Ought to be ashamed of yourselves.” Gina hisses at the Ranger and Paladin, “we need to get in, any ideas?”

Grungarak looks at Ronnie, Ronnie looks at Grungarak.

It seems they’ve just agreed on something, which is a first.

“Fog KorG.”

The pair run head-long at the door, the weasely man takes it all in, “hey, what you…”

SMASH

The door holds.

The pair stare at each other again.

Weasely appears back at the hatch, “not a chance you pri…”

They go again, this time Twiglet adds his weight to the cause.

“FOG KOOOOOOOOOOOOORG.”

SMASH

The door crunches and folds in upon itself, the weasely man dodges back just in time.

The chamber is bare, the remains of an ancient gatehouse, there are murder holes in the ceiling above where the three warriors stand, on the far side of the chamber, some twenty or more feet away stands another pair of wooden doors, a second line of defence, one of them is ajar.

Standing in the chamber are two figures, both wearing dull brown robes, both humans and both wielding quarterstaffs with a degree of skill, one is weasely looking, the other is simple enormous.

“I am Brother Jason.” The weasely man states.
“And I am Brother Lee Love.” The huge man states and slaps one end of his stave into the flat of his hand.
“Prepare to meet your marker.” Brother Jason snarls.
“He means maker, fools.” Brother Lee Love corrects.

And this is it…

The battle for Castle Whiterock has begun, heroes are set to be forged, terror and fear stared down, friends lost and foes bested, it all starts now…

“Therg’s nog Gog bug Korg.” Ronnie mumbles with the help of his broken nose.

“Garl help us.” Gina mumbles.

Remove ads