• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Who, What, Where, When, Why of Weapons!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Perhaps you want to make things simple. Perhaps you're just a real bastard of a DM, but you're decided to limit the number of weapon choices in your medieval fantasy game to a meager twenty. That's right, just twenty. What makes it on the list (and why if you like) and what gets chucked to the side right from the start? Treat various types of swords as individual choices, for the most part, though one might see some variation from culture-type to culture-type, so no need to get too exotic. Let's stick with a pseudo-European theme for the most part and if you have tons of room on the list beyond that, feel free to explore the far reaches of your homebrew worlds. No need to list all twenty if you just want to chime in with some definite must-have weapons so others don't forget your favorite!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dagger, Sword (1H), Sword (2H), Mace, Staff, Axe (1H), Axe (2H), Spear, Lance

Longow, Xbow, Sling

I could probably get by with just that list.

Numlock

First Post
Well, this depends on your combat system. If your combat system is simple, like one attack a turn, no difference in weapon speeds and durabilities, no different types of damage, no differences in parrying, etc. then I could live with Morrus' list above.

If using a system that incorporates any of all of the properties of weapons I listed above, I don't think I could keep the list under 20. You'd have to consider center of mass, which determines damage and weapon handling, thickness of material, which determines weight, damage, and durability. You'd have to consider length, sharpness and all kinds of properties. If this is what you are looking for, you'd be better of with a weapon calculator instead of pre-made weapon lists.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My K.I.S.S. list of weapons:
  1. Short Blade
  2. Long Blade
  3. 2 Hand Blade
  4. Hand/Throwing Axe
  5. 2 Hand Axe
  6. Club
  7. 2 Hand Club
  8. Mace/Hammer/Morningstar
  9. 2 Hand Mace/Hammer/Morningstar
  10. Flail
  11. Whip
  12. Net/Entangler
  13. Hand Load/Kosh/Gauntlet
  14. Staff
  15. Javelin/Spear
  16. Polearm
  17. Lance
  18. Bow
  19. Crossbow
  20. Sling
  21. Sm. Thrown
  22. Improvised

I could get simpler: 1Hd E, 2Hd E, 1Hd B, 2Hd B, 1Hd P, 2Hd P, Thrown P, Thrown E, Thrown B, Projectile P, Projectile E, Projectile B, Entangling, Improvised

Last edited:

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I'd probably separate "spear" from "polearm" (mainly to differentiate throwable from non-thrown), and maybe toss "wrunglestib" onto the list.
But otherwise I think DannyA has it covered.

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
My K.I.S.S. list of weapons:
  1. Short Blade
  2. Long Blade
  3. 2 Hand Blade
  4. Hand/Throwing Axe
  5. 2 Hand Axe
  6. Club
  7. Mace
  8. Flail
  9. Staff
  10. Javelin/Spear
  11. Polearm
  12. Lance
  13. Bow
  14. Crossbow
  15. Sling
  16. Sm. Thrown
  17. Improvised
Yeah, pretty much this, but I too would seperate out spear/javelin. And I'd add war hammer. (And give it a lot better damage than most systems do, they were vicious!)

Mishihari Lord

First Post
For me it's

1. sword
  2. mace
  3. axe
  4. pick
  5. knife
  6. spear
  7. lance
  8. pole arm
  9. bow
  10. crossbow

I guess I'd be satisfied with a pretty short list.

If I were trying to cut down the weapon list though I'd be tempted to just give all weapons with similar characteristics the same stats. For characteristics I'd use

Length: knife, short sword, long sword, two handed sword, spear, pike
Held/Thrown
Mounted/standing

SiderisAnon

First Post
Assuming D&D type scale, all you really need is a die code (d4, d6, d8, d10, 2d6), whether it's 1h or 2h, and whether it's melee or ranged.

Honestly, anything that isn't a vital mechanical difference is just fluff and you don't really need it.

I've seen games where all weapons were the same damage or where there were only two or three possible damage dice.

However, I think a lot of players like the idea of choosing a type of weapon. A Great Sword. a Claymore, and a Dwarven Heavy War Axe could have identical stats, but the picture of them can make all the difference.

If you want to boil it down to only a few weapons: Knife, short blade, long blade, big heavy blade, axe, big heavy axe, club, big heavy club, bow, crossbow, spear, and quarterstaff. If you're feeling fancy, things like flail, fencing sword, throwing knife.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads