• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Who, What, Where, When, Why of Weapons!

Light melee weapon (one handed)
Light melee weapon (two handed)
Heavy melee weapon (one handed)
Heavy melee weapon (two handed)

Light ranged weapon (one handed)
Light ranged weapon (two handed)
Heavy ranged weapon (one handed)
Heavy ranged weapon (two handed)

Light gun (one handed)
Light gun (two handed)
Heavy gun (one handed)
Heavy gun (two handed)

So, basically, Gamma World. Any special tricks (tripping with a whip, pike hedges) are ad-hoc things.

If using a system that incorporates any of all of the properties of weapons I listed above, I don't think I could keep the list under 20. You'd have to consider center of mass, which determines damage and weapon handling, thickness of material, which determines weight, damage, and durability. You'd have to consider length, sharpness and all kinds of properties. If this is what you are looking for, you'd be better of with a weapon calculator instead of pre-made weapon lists.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of realism in a heroic game. That kind of thing could influence feats and/or powers though.

(A feat that takes into account a katana's sharpness is fine, as long as there are feats/powers for blunter weapons that are better at going through armor.)

Razjah

Explorer

If this is in reply to my comment about how little polearms were used, I meant in the games that I have played. I was aware of how common they were in real combat.

If this was not, then I apologize. If this is for your list of 20, why do you not have more options? Many posters had the classic slashing/piercing/blunt weapons with some more ranged weapons added. This list is entirely focused on polearms. Could you please explain why your list is so devoted to longer weapons. I think in RPG combat situations a couple options are good; while in dungeons, in an alley, and other cramped quarters that combats often happen the polearm becomes a liablilty. Especially since many games have rules that a weapon with reach cannot strike someone next to the wielder.

Last edited:

ArghMark

First Post
Razjah, I'm just taking the mickey, no harm meant :D

For my 20, I figured it would make a surprising game where everyone had pole arms. Or at least more of them :D

Statistically they are generally all the same, and unless you wanted to get all riddle of steel on them they would function very similarly. I would really like a lot more of them to have good reach; best part about polearms shouldn't be damage, but the ability to hit someone from a distance away.

As for a more realistic list? I go somewhere like WHFRP2E, where everyone gets a 'hand weapon', be it axe, sword, what not, and the other weapons all have special abilities.

knightofround

First Post
Most people have answered this question with a metagame-y response, however I think that limiting weapons could be an interesting idea to design a campaign around. Imagine a jungle campaign where all weapons had to be made of wood. The mightest weapon could be destroyed by the smallest of fires.

Or think about an underwater campaign, where blunt and slash weapons are rendered useless, but piercing weapons remain effective.

Or how about a campaign set in ancient china--the emperor has declared a ban on sword-making in order to ensure that the imperial army will easily beat off rebel attacks.

KahnyaGnorc

First Post
Most people have answered this question with a metagame-y response, however I think that limiting weapons could be an interesting idea to design a campaign around. Imagine a jungle campaign where all weapons had to be made of wood. The mightest weapon could be destroyed by the smallest of fires.

Or think about an underwater campaign, where blunt and slash weapons are rendered useless, but piercing weapons remain effective.

Or how about a campaign set in ancient china--the emperor has declared a ban on sword-making in order to ensure that the imperial army will easily beat off rebel attacks.

or how about this: You live in a rural province of an empire that has been at peace for thousands of years until recently when the fertilizer has hit the fan. The only "weapons" around are those that are "multi-purpose": Scythes, Sickles, knives, axes, hammers, staves, hunting bows . . . that sort of thing. You train with and wield the weapons you have.

Razjah

Explorer
Like a peasant militia?

What would the adventures be about? I like the idea but I'm curious to see how you would set this up.

Remove ads