• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Who, What, Where, When, Why of Weapons!

If I was going to restrict weapons, I'd try and base it around a given setting - like saying, okay I'll allow weapons commonly used by the Roman Army and it's enemies around 50AD.

Which might be... shortsword, longsword, 1h axe, short spear, club, sling, javelin, short bow

I'd want the weapon restriction to say something about the setting, to give it a certain feel.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
at the risk of being repetitive...

1. Throwing knife/blade
  2. Dagger
  3. Throwing/hand Axe
  4. Battle Axe (2-hd)
  5. Short sword
  6. Broad sword
  7. Long Sword
  8. Bastard Sword
  9. 2-hd Sword
  10. Sling
  11. Bola
  12. Short bow
  13. Longbow
  14. Crossbow
  15. Mace (1-hd)
  16. War Hammer (2-hd)
  17. 1/4 Staff
  18. Spear
  19. Halberd
  20. Shield (as a weapon for bashing)

KahnyaGnorc

First Post
Like a peasant militia?

What would the adventures be about? I like the idea but I'm curious to see how you would set this up.

This is just an idea off the top of my head, but here's one way to go about it. The PCs (and their fellow villagers) hear rumors of war and monsters from other parts of the empire; things that were thought to be myth and superstition. These seem to be (partially) confirmed when the fighting men (and women) of the local lord's are called up by the emperor. The lord is stuck with barely enough people to man his keep, let alone protect the village or outlying farms and trade routes. (Thus, requiring the peasant militia to be active) Communications from one cluster of farms has gone silent, and the PCs are sent to make sure everything is okay. Of course, it isn't.

The campaign would start with kobolds/goblins/whatever attacking farms, then slowly expands (or quickly if you play a fast advancement style), eventually the PCs find out that the empire was at such peace due to a magical barrier around its borders, which has weakened and started to fail of late. The province that the PCs are from is a backwater place, so the powerful invaders didn't bother attacking there.

As for the mechanics, I'd use some form of signature weapon rules, making the PCs' rather humble weapons advance as the PCs do, encouraging them to stay with those instead of upgrading to things like swords once they are noticed by the imperial leadership. Either that, or I'd just go with inherent bonuses.

WizarDru

Adventurer
If I were to choose only twenty, they would be the most common weapons...the kind that most folks would know and could probably even craft, at least somewhat crudely. I'd only need 17, with maybe a slot or two for an exotic, if I wished. To wit:

• Short Sword
  • Long Sword
  • Two-handed Sword
  • Club
  • Mace
  • Axe
  • Great Axe
  • Short Bow
  • Long Bow
  • Crossbow
  • Dagger
  • Throwing Knife
  • Sling and Stones
  • Spear
  • Quarterstaff
  • Polearm
  • Shield

Most specialty versions would just be counted as their root weapon. Two-Handed Axe/Great Axe/Double-headed Axe? All the same thing. Throwing Axe? Treated the same as a throwing dagger. And so on.

Here's my list:
  1. Dagger
  2. Hand/throwing axe
  3. Spear
  4. Short sword
  5. long/broad sword
  6. Two-handed sword
  7. Short bow
  8. Long bow
  9. Sling
  10. Crossbow
  11. Pole arms (generic)
  12. War hammer/Military pick (pointy or bludgeon otherwise ther are traditionally the same weapon)
  13. Club
  14. Mace
  15. Flail
  16. Sickle
  17. Battle axe
  18. Quarterstaff (but not the buck and a quarter staff)
That's 18, so a minor leaguer and a player to be named later.

Last edited:

Remove ads