• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Witcher...*rocks*

Lockridge

First Post
Can you tell me the following:

1. Is it an open quest like Oblivion or is it narrow like FEAR?
2. Does it penalize you for morality like Oblivion did? I absolutely hate this because I would mistakenly pick up some of the many items laying around only to be arrested or given a time-wasting task by my guild.
3. When you install the software, does it require you to register the installation like Bioshock? This annoys me because I may want to re-install and play the game in a few years but if the company has gone under or is hard to find I may not be able to in spite of owning the disks.

Thanks.

mmu1

First Post
1. It's actually more like Neverwinter Nights or NWN2, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, etc. It's a lot smaller than Oblivion, but vastly bigger than a short FPS game like FEAR.

2. It's pretty hard to get screwed over by accident. (Unless you're someone who "accidentally" attacks the city guard, or badly insults important NPCs) For the most part, whatever items you find are yours for the taking.

3. Don't think so. I didn't notice anything that'd indicate it, and no one is complaining about the copy protection on the official boards.

Lockridge

First Post
mmu1 said:
1. It's actually more like Neverwinter Nights or NWN2, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, etc. It's a lot smaller than Oblivion, but vastly bigger than a short FPS game like FEAR.

2. It's pretty hard to get screwed over by accident. (Unless you're someone who "accidentally" attacks the city guard, or badly insults important NPCs) For the most part, whatever items you find are yours for the taking.

3. Don't think so. I didn't notice anything that'd indicate it, and no one is complaining about the copy protection on the official boards.

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed. I'll be downloading shortly.

Banshee16

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
I didn't really experience any "camera issues". There are some point in the game where your top down perspectivie needs adjustment. You do so by pressing the middle mouse button and rotating it - or occasioanlyl by hitting the "w" key on the keyboard if you are too close to an object. It's something you just get used to. No biggie.

Effect on gameplay? Marginal to none, imo.

I read your review. Some good observations there. I'm in Canada, so unfortunately it sounds like I'll be stuck playing the Canadian release. It never ceases to amaze me why it's acceptable to have people butchering monsters and killing people, but show a little skin, and "oh no". Oh well.

Will the Euro version work on computers in North America? I'm not very experienced at this, but I understand that CD-ROMs or DVDs or whatever from one "Region" don't work on machines in another region. Is that the case here? If it's nothing to worry about, are there some good, reliable online retailers in Europe that will ship to Canada?

Banshee

mmu1

First Post
Banshee16 said:
I read your review. Some good observations there. I'm in Canada, so unfortunately it sounds like I'll be stuck playing the Canadian release. It never ceases to amaze me why it's acceptable to have people butchering monsters and killing people, but show a little skin, and "oh no". Oh well.

Will the Euro version work on computers in North America? I'm not very experienced at this, but I understand that CD-ROMs or DVDs or whatever from one "Region" don't work on machines in another region. Is that the case here? If it's nothing to worry about, are there some good, reliable online retailers in Europe that will ship to Canada?

Banshee

IIRC computer games are region-free. You can also download the Euro version from Atari UK.

It's what I did, though it was because I was in a hurry to get my hands on it and not because I cared about what got censored - and to be honest with you, after seeing some of it I really don't think there's any point in spending more money just to see a few nipples, because that's what it amounts to. Unless you view it as taking a stand against censorship, because the impact on the game is really almost non-existent.

Banshee16

First Post
mmu1 said:
IIRC computer games are region-free. You can also download the Euro version from Atari UK.

It's what I did, though it was because I was in a hurry to get my hands on it and not because I cared about what got censored - and to be honest with you, after seeing some of it I really don't think there's any point in spending more money just to see a few nipples, because that's what it amounts to. Unless you view it as taking a stand against censorship, because the impact on the game is really almost non-existent.

So it's not a significant change in the content then....

I thought the intent of the statement was that the whole romance plot etc. was being removed.

Ok, then, no, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm not a fan of downloading software anyways. There's something about having an instruction manual, a hard copy disk, etc. that I feel can't really be replaced by purchasing downloaded software.

Banshee

GlassJaw

Hero
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I don't buy anything without a demo first. Especially for something they had to patch before it hit the shelves.

I don't need a demo before I buy a game but I at least want to see a few reviews from a few sources. This game looks promising though.

Thanee

First Post
mmu1 said:
Ok, let me try it again. "Wiedzmin" (or "Witcher") is a neologism in Polish - it's a word the author of the novels came up with, so there is no set, conventional way to translate it into English.

Just meant, that it is the typical word used for a male witch (since a witch is always female). :)

Ordered the game and just got the confirmation that it is on the way... should be here by monday. Hope it is as much fun as everyone says. :D

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads