The Wizards of the Coats a 4e venture.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Not a story as such but more of an account of the action to date, I'd be happy for any instruction. We play by the rules, or else our version of them- when consent is available, we're all old friends and have been at this game for far too long to change our ways. Sessions are weekly and 4-5 hours long, including bickering time, catch-ups and general shooting the breeze.

PS The Wizards of the Coats is nothing to do with anything, just some dumb name I thought up for me and my players some time ago, sorry if that somehow counts as false advertising.

This then is an account of our first attempt at 4e.

The Story so far…

Chapter 1 Part 1 Making Enemies

Our five intrepid adventurers are spending time in the Blue Moon Alehouse in Fallcrest; they haven’t met each other yet of course-

Daja, Dragonborn Paladin of the Raven Queen relaxes by the fire with her shoes off, her feet have been playing her up of late, icy cold- she stretches and yawns bathed in the fire’s warm glow.

Falco, Dwarven Cleric of Kord, and erstwhile Potter, props up the bar in conversation with a friendly Merchant awaiting payment for his last shipment of wares, money to take home to his wife and children.

Lambrini, Tiefling Wizard, apprentice to Nimozaran the Green, Septarch of Fallcrest- a bumbling old fool really. Lambrini works the crowd, keeping an eagle eye on the inhabitants of the bar; she’s clearly looking for somebody.

Talwyn, Elven Ranger, devoted to the Raven Queen also; he inhabits a dark corner of the Inn, away from the smiling, laughing crowd, awaiting his fate.

Trader Vik, Eladrin Rogue, props up the bar also, a little away from Falco and his Merchant friend; he too is waiting for Falco’s payment to put in an appearance.

The door to the bar smashes open and in strolls Otis Benbough, the toughest Halfling in all of Fallcrest, and right-hand man to Stormbeard, Dwarven Crime Lord. Otis is not alone, plenty of hired help, a rag-tag bunch of ne’er-do-wells including Thugs, Ruffians and an armoured Mercenary, Yet more Thugs wait outside of the bar in the street, making sure there are no interruptions.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter level 3 [850 XP].
Humans- Thugs [Level 1 Minion] (x8), Ruffians [Level 2 Skirmisher] (x2), Mercenary [Level 3 Soldier] & Otis, Halfling Prowler- [Level 6 Lurker].

DM NOTES- My intention here was to mix it up a little, the PCs first fight in 4e something they could kill and the start of a beautiful enmity, Otis Benbough a boomerang villain, one for the future who will keep on coming back.

The volume in the Inn drops to zero.

“This is a fawkin’ robbery.” Otis proclaims, and then stupidly decides to belittle Falco just to stir things up- it kicks off, arrows fly, radiant light bathes the attackers, a dagger searches out their softer parts, magic missiles arc and loop and a slashing scimitar draws lines of blood wherever it falls.

In no time flat the assailants are on their way, at least those that are not dead or dying, running pell-mell to escape the embryonic adventuring group, Otis is particularly beaten, and burned, and blasted, he escapes only by running head-long into the night, still on-fire, and then plunging into the frothing current of the Nentir River.

DM NOTES- damn, neophyte adventuring party my backside, this may be their first 4e fight but they've been at this game for years. All six of them did their deadliest best to get at the Halfling, two rounds in and Otis is already bloodied and running like a little girl (no offence ma'am). Worse the pity, with three of the players in hot-pursuit, the other villains of the piece abandoned or else left to the machinations of the other members of the party, and with the remaining bad guys now sans their leader. It was all I could do to get Otis in the river with 6 hit points left and taking 5 fire damage every round. Falco burns his daily in his first fight, I guess I (in the guise of Otis) shouldn't have called him a “lard-arsed, no-necked, retard”, still Falco's played by my brother so he should be used to it by now, hey-ho, you live and learn- I hate my players.

The other oddity of the evening is the Ashfall, while out in the street, mid-chase, ash begins to fall from the sky- like snow except more… ashy. The wind and rain that follows quickly erases all evidence of this strange event.

Back in the bar tonight’s entertainment, a knife thrower and his beautiful assistant, forgotten in the fracas scream in unison, and loud enough to wake the dead, the beautiful assistant has been injured in the melee, the half-undressed young elf holds up one bloody hand for all to see.

Portents over the watch arrive, or rather were here all along, in the shape of Sgt. Murgeddin, a portly dwarven patrolman, off-duty- he suffers for his lack of action when the swords were swinging but eventually cool heads are made to see, to understand the seriousness of the situation. Otis is dangerous, Stormbeard is lethal, and the gathered adventurers have just made the enemies list of two of Fallcrest’s less enlightened citizens.

Murgeddin introduces the adventurers to Teldorathan, another dwarf, an armourer, but not any old armourer; he’s an armourer with a proposition.

It seems a little while ago a murderous band of Kobolds, the Skull-Kicker Kobold Clan to be precise, lead by Chief Grog ambushed a caravan bound for Fallcrest, the caravan was carrying a precious Green Dragon Hide which Teldorathan was expecting. The armourer has money- he wants the hide back.

Murgeddin adds his voice, there’s a bounty on Kobold heads, Lord Warden Markelhay, Fallcrest’s ruler, has set the bounty- perhaps now would be a good time to get out of Fallcrest and head into the wilds, Gloomhall to be exact, the rumoured abode of the aforementioned kobold clan.

Lambrini goes one further, it seems her master Nimozaran suspects that some greater intelligence lies behind the kobold attacks, he wishes to hire capable adventurers to gather information on the subject.

The party consider themselves employed with three quests to complete- kill kobolds, fetch the green dragon hide & find out who is stirring up the troublesome kobolds, they head off into the night.

But don’t get far, there’s more to the wizards apprentice than meets the eye, twenty minutes later the intrepid five are standing within a teleportation circle situated in Nimozaran’s tower.

Blink.

The next moment they find themselves standing at the top of a ruined flight of stairs, situated in the remains of some great keep, in the dark and the rain- Gloomhall, they head on down.

DM NOTES- and so into the Kobold Halls from the DMG we go.

And straight into the second fracas of the evening, a rough looking chamber at the centre of which is a large trench full of gloop, a barred passageway heads north, the chamber is also of course inhabited, a gang of Kobolds, some with slings and strange clay pots for ammunition, others with spears and an eye for an opening.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 1 [500 XP]
Kobolds- Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x3) & Slinger [Level 1 Artillery] (x2)

DM NOTES- an easy fight, I'm not messing with Kobold Halls much, I want to see how the mechanics of the game actually work.

The fight is short but sweet, at least for the adventurers, less than a minute later three kobolds are dead, the fourth is soon to be- drowning in the goo-filled trench, and the fifth has legged it down the northern passage to go and tell his friends.

The adventurers follow after and soon creep into another strange and ancient chamber- ruined suits of armour either side, stone sarcophagi in the centre and at the far end four kobolds armed with spears ready to take them on.

They advance and soon discover a pair of dart traps, the hard way, these do not delay them in their blood quest, the third fight is joined.

GAME DEATAILS- Encounter Level 1 [600 XP]
Dart Trap [Level 1 Blaster] (x2) & Kobold Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x4) (including Skirmisher fled from previous encounter)

Once again the adventurers are victorious, the kobolds killed, save one of course, the same one, who as usual high-tails it north down another passage. An altar is discovered, dedicated to Tiamat, evil Dragon deity, it is duly despoiled and robbed, the offering of gold confiscated.

DM NOTES- easy again, Fey Step and an Eladrin Rogue with an eye for danger, two tanks not frightened of getting hit, or rather taking that chance- another easy victory for the players. This could get interesting.

The traps are disarmed, just in case a swift exit from the area is required at a latter time. Then the adventurers press on, into yet another ancient chamber, in the centre of which are yet more sarcophagi, another pit filled with gloop, and at the far end a pair of large metal-reinforced wooden doors, there are ledges either side of the doors it seems.

They wander forward cautiously, straight into the most ridiculous of ambushes, kobolds appear on the ledges, one of them has a huge stone on a rope suspended from the ceiling like a wrecking ball, it seems the adventurers are the skittles at which the kobolds aim, battle is joined.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 3 [800 XP]
Skull-Skull Trap [Level 1 Blaster], Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x4), Slinger [Level 1 Artillery] (x2) Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] & Guardian Drake [Level 2 Brute] (x2) (including Skirmisher fled from previous encounter)

DM NOTES- this is a stoopid trap, it digs into the time available for the Kobolds to be throwing things at the players, and is easily defeated. Nullified by simply, and quickly, killing all the Kobolds on one side.

And this time it’s a rout, the thing-on-a-string is less wrecking ball and more child’s conker, it hits nothing. Trader Vik meanwhile Fey Steps onto the ledge and creates havoc, Falco and Daja barrel through the doors, smashing them wide open to reveal the Guardian Drakes, while Talwyn and Lambrini provide artillery support.

A few cuts and bruises later and silence returns to the chamber, two of the creatures escape- one of the Kobold Minions and the newly christened “Running Man”, the same Kobold Skirmisher that has been fleeing from the adventurers since the first fight, the pair head north again down a short passage. One of the Drakes makes a break for freedom but is chased down before it can exit the lair, such is the zeal of the adventurers, and the range of their artillery.

And so part one, actually session one, comes to a close, a pile of heads have been gathered, no sign of the dragon hide as of yet, nor any greater intelligence. There’s more to come yet though.

GAME DETAILS- Method
Just a note to say that the game is played using Skype and Maptools, this seems an ideal way to play D&D 4e as it is at times a board game of sorts. Maptools makes it much easier to present the dynamics of battle- you should try it some time.

GAME DETAILS- Experience Points
A second note to say that we are so far obeying every rule that we’ve read and understood from the 4e Core Set, save one, my players and I are keen to prolong the journey, experience points are therefore rewarded according to a grand (and extremely complicated) method I have developed over 25+ years of playing D&D. Experience points are gained not only in combat or skill challenge like encounters, but also for role-playing, dynamic skill-use and in a myriad other ways. The players require 3,000 XP to make it up to level 2, at the end of this the first session they have 698 XP each to their name.

Abciximab

Explorer
Hey Goonalan haven't seen a post from you in a while. Wasn't too long ago that you had 2-3 story hours going here. (The Goodman Gang was my favorite). Do you know where you plan to go with this campaign? I saw a reference that made me wonder if you're going to run something other than the usual Keep on the Shadowfell that seems be the subject of every other story hour here. Whatever direction you take I'll be reading along.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Hey Goonalan haven't seen a post from you in a while. Wasn't too long ago that you had 2-3 story hours going here. (The Goodman Gang was my favorite). Do you know where you plan to go with this campaign? I saw a reference that made me wonder if you're going to run something other than the usual Keep on the Shadowfell that seems be the subject of every other story hour here. Whatever direction you take I'll be reading along.

Alas work related activity and the advent of 4e has turned my world upside down, well a little at least. The first entry represents session 1 of the new campaign- no time to write it out properly alas. We're playing session 11 this Sunday so the show goes on... It's been a bumpy road with 4e, one player has left, for reasons I'll go into later. A second player is having real problems with her Paladin and Defenders in general have been poorly received particularly in comparison with the other classes in play which seem to rain down fire, and radiant light, and arrows, and backstabs with abandon while the poor old defender is stuck in the mud.

Glad to have you on board, sorry it's not the real deal.

The other story hours are at an end alas, although there's a lot more notes for the Goodman Gang hanging about somewhere, 4e has lost me some players alas. It does however work a lot better, seemingly, on MapTools which is our mode of adventure.

Still I'm enjoying the new challenge and overall the players are having a good time so far.

As to KOTS then it's coming, although I've ramped it up because the players wont be getting there until they're level 4- it's a campaign thing you understand, the story comes before the scaling of the module, but Shhh the players don't know this yet and there's plenty more they have to get through before Lord Orcus gets into the mix.

Happy hunting.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Chapter 1 Part 2 Getting Cold Feet

GAME DETAILS- Outstanding Quests
1) Recover the Green Dragon Hide for Teldorathan (Status: Ongoing).
2) Kill Kobolds and collect their heads for Lord Warden Markelhay’s bounty (Status: Ongoing).
3) Discover what “greater intelligence” is stirring up the Kobolds for Nemozaran- who is the Horned Lord? (Status: Ongoing).

The adventurers creep north, Daja a little discomforted, her feet are freezing but she’s not one to complain.

The chamber ahead is huge, the cracked and broken stone flagged floor seems to circle a second, much smaller, chamber in the centre of the room, Vik goes for a wander, and is soon spotted, a squawk and a leathery skinned avian heads over to make a meal of the rogue, the others take notice and soon all hell breaks loose.

CRASH

Something immense falls and smashes into the already crushed stone flagged floor, whatever it is it’s enormous, and at the moment unseen although the rumbling noise signals it’s approach, the adventurers scatter as a pair of Kobolds armed with slings climb atop the walls of the central chamber and from there rain down glue, fire and stink filled pots.

If this wasn’t enough another pair of Kobolds descend from a hidden ledge to engage our heroes, while two more heavily armoured kobold warriors guard a shaman of some sort who fires freezing ice-balls at the explorers.

And then rumbling into sight comes the huge boulder which circles the central chamber crushing all that it encounters in its journey.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 4 [975 XP]
Rolling Boulder Trap [Level 3 Blaster], Spiretop Drake [Level 1 Skirmisher], Kobolds- Minion [Level 1 Minion], Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher], Slinger [Level 1 Artillery] (x2), Dragonshield [Level 2 Soldier] (x2) & Wyrmpriest [Level 3 Artillery (Leader)] (including Skirmisher & Minion fled from previous encounter)

The fight is long and hard, and drains almost all of the fledgling parties resources- Vik despatches the spiretop drake with a little help and then clears out the kobold slingers, although one flees and escapes the lair altogether. Falco and Daja mow down the kobold combatants and then head over to deal with the wyrmpriest and his dragonshield side-kicks, Lambrini and Talwyn follow the armoured pair in their circuit providing all the covering fire they need, they easily manage to stay out of the way of the boulder, and thus it is done- the kobolds vanquished, the Skull-Kicker Clan no-more, although Chief Grog declares with his dying breath “… this is not the end.”

DM NOTES- now that's more like it, none of the players actually hit the deck but at least two of them came close to embracing the crushed stone-flagged floor, I like wyrmpriests, I predict more of them in the adventurers immediate future.

Now for the discoveries, firstly Lambrini has a new staff- courtesy of Chief Grog the kobold wyrmpriest, a +1 Staff of the War Mage, war mage- Lambrini likes the sound of that.

Secondly a letter, also discovered on the Chief.

“Chief Grog, Skull Kicker Clan

The Time is Now, launch your attacks, the Nentir Valley will ring with the sound of your steel- make them pay- destroy all that stand in our way. My Lieutenant will stay with you for but a while, to see my word is done… Do not fail me, my lieutenant is not known for his patience.

The Sign of the Bloody Hand is abroad.

The Horned King.”

Which about wraps it up for proof of some greater intelligence being behind the kobold attacks, perhaps the bumbling old mage Nimozaran has not quite lost his wits. However this new piece of information raises more questions than it answers- who is the Horned Lord, and why does he work this kobold uprising, but more pressing is who is his lieutenant, and where is he?

Which leads to discovery number three, Vik notices something in an alcove and investigates, the stone work is all wrong- he calls the other adventurers over and- ohh Daja’s feet are freezing, blocks of ice. A chilling draft forms a low mist before the wall- whatever is behind it is icy cold.

There forces almost spent the intrepid adventurers decide that whatever lies beyond the once secret door will wait until they are recovered, they do their best to make the chamber defensible, set watch, and settle down for a well-earned rest.

Which is exactly what they don’t get, a little under six hours later they are awoken swiftly by Vik, kobolds are investigating the chamber- perhaps a patrol has returned to the nest, actually it is the kobold slinger that escaped earlier that has lead this errant group back to the lair, hell-bent on vengeance.

The tables are turned however, the adventurers make a much better fist of ambushing the patrol, they smash through the kobold minions with ease only to be confronted by an electric blue scorpion some six feet long- from the tips of its claws to spike of its stinger.

GAME DETAIL- Encounter Level 1 [500 XP]
Kobolds- Minion [Level 1 Minion] (x8), Slinger [Level 1 Artillery] (x2) & Stormclaw Scorpion [Level 1 Soldier]

DM NOTES- couldn't resist adding a little something, I'm not going to let them take an extended rest as and when they please, just a minor inconvenience that's all.

The scorpion looks to be a formidable opponent and yet is soon demolished in a wave of metal and magic, the kobolds are once again routed, this time chased and killed- not one survivor.

The adventurers rest again, safe and secure in their dreary surroundings.

DM NOTES- the scorpion didn't even hit them, dead in two rounds- bastards, next time there'll be two scorpions, just you wait and see.

A new day dawns, the 8th of the month of Eleint, known as “The Fading”, in the year 2008. Sun shines, birds sing and a cool breeze plays through the leaves and branches of the trees, it’s warm enough to make the ordinary folk feel content, almost happy, with their lot.

However underground things are not so “joyous”, the adventurers have little in the way of packed lunch, leaving Fallcrest in a rush, they breakfast on curling sandwiches, chewing tobacco, and a packet of slightly soft p’shew nuts.

Replete, who am I kidding, with rumbling bellies they head over to investigate the once secret door, eventually Vik prises it open and leads them down a short flight of stairs. A chilly narrow corridor in which crusts of half-melted ice mingle with loose rough stones, the adventurers press on quietly and emerge into an enormous chamber, the floor ahead is icy, although still traversable if care is taken.

Those adept in the art of sneakery head in to investigate, and soon discover a half-awake White Dragon, Vik and Talwyn creep back to tell their tale.

GAME DETAIL- Encounter Level 3 [750 XP]
Young White Dragon [Level 3 Solo Brute]

DM NOTES- Yes, a dragon. It’s at this point that the players, not their characters mind, get a little concerned, a dragon, at first level- seems to be the consensus; D&D 4E a nice change of pace.

A plan is formed, the chamber has two pillars to hide behind and a frozen pool of water at the centre, the dragon is curled resting behind the second, the furthest away, pillar.

The adventurers creep about as far as they can go, taking care to avoid the frozen pool and to make use of the pillars for cover, Lambrini and Talwyn a good distance away from the beast- the artillery, Vik as close as he can get- which is just the other side of the pillar to the dragon, and the tanks- Daja and Falco ready to rush, read slip and slide, into the fray.

The dragon doesn’t hear a thing.

DM NOTES- You should have seen the dice rolls, culminating in the Young White Dragon’s perception roll “1”.

Action.

The trap is sprung and before the Dragon has a chance to stir the beast takes a backstab attack to the rear courtesy of Vik, two arrows from Talwyn and is scorched and screaming by Lambrini’s Flaming Sphere.

GAME DETAIL- Over the course of the fight the players manage three rolls of “20”, and courtesy of Maptools, so no surreptitious nudging, while the dragon hits only three times and spends both of its Action Points in doing so. One more thing, the fight lasts three rounds.

Whether more by luck or good judgement the great beast is soon set upon on all sides, Vik continues to cut and slice at the rear of the creature, Falco and Daja use their holy powers to tear at the beast- head on. Lambrini’s Flaming Sphere continues to burn, make that char the cold loving dragon, there’s even time for Talwyn to abandon his bow and take to slicing at the thing with his dual scimitars.

It’s soon over, and celebrated with radiant smiles, although the dragons last words still echo in the icy chamber, “catch your breath, for it has just begun.”

The Young White Dragon, the Horned Lord’s lieutenant, is gutted- literally. Its head removed, hide removed, heart removed, taloned claws removed; all that’s left at the end is a pile of stinking flesh and bone.

There’s also a chest tucked away in the freezing ice chamber, and within gold coins, a beautiful translucent pearl, a green dragon hide in pristine condition, and best of all a beautifully crafted scimitar which proves to be magical, the +1 Lifedrinker Scimitar is claimed by Daja, her new holy weapon of choice, the blade is etched with myriad symbols of the Raven Queen.

Most remarkable, inside the lid of the chest is imprinted one red bloody hand, which generates an awkward silence.

Falco eyes the crowd and shakes his head, there's a black cloud on the horizon, he's sure of it.

And so an hour or so later, enough time for the adventurers to stamp the chill from their bones, the five emerge victorious from Gloomhall and into the warm sunshine of the Nentir Vale.

The wind whips through the trees, cooling their backs, all is well in the world, save perhaps for the two individuals that are ruining what would otherwise be a perfect day by screaming fit to burst.

The heroes scramble, the sound is coming from the road, not far off from the ruins in which they stand, the road being the King’s Road, the great byway to Winterhaven and beyond.

Through the undergrowth they charge and into action, ahead two young lads, the eldest no more than fifteen, scream and shout and hare down the road, heading straight for the adventurers, behind the pair charges a mammoth mammal, a Dire Boar, a woodland lord, the huge tusked beast stands nearly six feet tall at the shoulder. The creature is all gnashing fury, the reason for this plain to see, its fur charred and smouldering- clearly someone has been drawing its ire.

The adventurers swing into action, and remarkably swiftly slay the thing, although not before Daja is made to sit down hard to consider her options. But before anyone can affect a hunters pose, one foot on the Boar’s carcass, and proclaim “job done”, racing down the road come a bevy of kobolds and their carapaced comrades.

GAME DETAIL- Encounter Level 3 [750]
Dire Boar [Level 6 Brute] & then Kobolds- Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x2), Slinger [Level 1 Artillery] & Fire Beetle [Level 1 Brute] (x2)

DM NOTES- thought I'd try another 6th level creature on them, soften them up for the Kobold Patrol, this time with a pair of flaming fire beetles, especially cool as in previous adventures (and editions) the players viewed fire beetles as mobile torch providers.

Battle is joined, and the adventurers are soon wreathed in flame, this time it’s a slugfest, although there victory is never in doubt, the beetles are cut down quickly, which buys some time for the kobold slinger who escapes the fracas when things start to look decidedly dodgy. Their enemies vanquished, again, the adventurers calm and care for the two young lads.

They’re from Oakhurst, a small village a good five miles up the King’s Road, further away from Fallcrest their now ex-home, towards Winterhaven, they’re sons of the Miller there.

“What’s the rush laddies?” Falco asks, and wags his beard in their faces, when the boys begin to struggle, eager to get on, and so it transpires that a group of kobolds had the temerity to pass through Oakhurst the previous night, smashing and looting while the inhabitants slept. Movan, the eldest of the young lads, has enough woodcraft to follow a trail- they have tracked the kobolds to this spot, but were scared by sounds in the undergrowth. That’s when the Dire Boar caught up to them, made mad by the kobolds and their fire beetle companions.

“Why are you shaking still? Do you know where the trail is leading?” Falco asks and grips tight their shoulders.

“The Ubler Farm, that way.” Duvan, the youngest lad points.

Talwyn nods, a large group of kobolds have indeed recently headed in the direction indicated. The young lads look sick, Falco makes a decision, “then we’ll go and pay a visit too.”

Until next time.

DM NOTES- Kobold Hall/Gloomhall.
The first scenario presented is of course the scenario in the DMG, no major changes save to add a few pertinent details to graft the thing to the campaign arc of Chapter 1. The incidental encounters were assembled likewise in order to further the story goals.

DM NOTES- Experience Points.
1265 XP for each character, total 1963 XP each, they need 3000 XP to get to level 2.

Good to see you writing again Goonalan! In your usual inimitable style. :D

So is this the Goodman Gang or the Castle Whiterock crew?

Can't say as I'm taken with 4e myself, but I'll ne following your experiences with interest. Sad to hear the switch has actually cost you players though.

Looking forward to more.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Good to see you writing again Goonalan! In your usual inimitable style. :D

So is this the Goodman Gang or the Castle Whiterock crew?

Can't say as I'm taken with 4e myself, but I'll ne following your experiences with interest. Sad to hear the switch has actually cost you players though.

Looking forward to more.

Why thank you sir, sorry to say the usual style is much watered down, work related activity intrudes alas on the steady diet of fantasy I much prefer.

This is the Whiterock crew, with one absence (see later in the piece), and starting this weekend (session 11.) with one or two additions.

I like 4e from a DM point of view, lot easier to set up for a game, works better with MapTools, or so it seems, however we're finding out the hard way that there are limitations and that some classes seem infinitely more fun to play than others- the Paladin (Charisma based, not Strength) is struggling, part of the problem is my players are not out to optimise their characters and thus in the thick of combat they sometimes feel extremely vulnerable, and a little short on ideas- Mark-Attack (actually Miss), repeat every round for the Paladin, this is perhaps a reflection of the fact that the other characters seem capable of more (greater) things. We've gone from nobody wanting to be the Cleric to nobody wanting to be the Defender.

More to follow.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Chapter 1 Part 3 Kobold Slayers.

1) Recover the Green Dragon Hide for Teldorathan (Status: Incomplete- need to return to collect reward).
2) Kill Kobolds and collect their heads for Lord Warden Markelhay’s bounty (Status: Ongoing).
3) Discover what “greater intelligence” is stirring up the Kobolds for Nemozaran- who is the Horned Lord? (Status: Ongoing).

And through the woods they come, till they have the Ubler Farmhouse and the barn behind in sight, Vik and Talwyn circle the farmhouse, both are certain that there is something, or perhaps some things inside, the place is a ruin- clearly it has suffered a sustained attack, and come out on the losing side, the only hope is the Ubler family are still alive within. The young lads are told to keep out of sight, to run if it looks like things are going badly.

The heroes head in, Vik to the fore, alas the eladrin is soon spotted and all manner of mayhem ensues, the five adventurers are soon outnumbered, nearly three to one, and yet it is their assailants that suffer.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 1 [475 XP]
Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x14) & Archer [Level 2 Artillery]

DM NOTES- minions, they make me giggle.

The fracas is frightening, and takes in every room of the farmhouse, it is however a formality, even without their greater powers, already spent fighting the Young White Dragon, the adventurers are more than a match for the kobolds, a pair of them escape and high tail it for the wilds, the archer and twelve others are swiftly despatched.

A cursory search reveals nothing but the fragments and ruins of everyday life, no sign of the Ublers, which at this point is all that passes for good news.

The adventurers quietly head over to the barn, which Vik reports shows signs of life, kobold life alas, several more of the lesser minions are spotted lounging in the shadows.

A small cabin by the barn stands forlorn, it’s door smashed in, the wreckage of farm implements strewn on the ground, bent and broken, outside.

Falco sees red, and with Daja in tow charges towards the nearest kobold with hate in his heart and his halberd in hand.

Kobolds spill out of the barn, followed by a swarm of rats, while ferocious looking dire rats emerge from the cabin- the artillery opens up, Talwyn’s arrows fly, Lambrini’s Scorching Blasts are precisely aimed so as to avoid any possible conflagration. Vik meanwhile hides a while and looks for his best shot.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 2 [625 XP]
Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x4), Slinger [Level 1 Artillery] (x2) & Rats- Dire [Level 1 Brute] (x2), Swarm [Level 2 Skirmisher]

DM NOTES- for those that haven't spotted it yet the play has moved to The Raiders of Oakhurst, a free adventure available elsewhere, and modified to fit this occasion.

Once again the fight is terribly one-sided, Daja is in the thick of the action for a while but the artillery manage to clear her path.

Vik waits for the Dire Rats to emerge from the hovel and then picks them off one by one, also with a little help from the artillery. The Kobold Slingers again see briefly into the future, far enough to see where this encounter is going anyway, they flee into the deep woods behind the farm, everything else is destroyed.

And the fight is over, the area searched and still no signs of the Ubler family to be found, the young lads appear from the woods and head over to the farmhouse, poke around, until they're held back by Daja, the scenes within the are rather graphic for young eyes.

The adventurers search again, and this time make a grisly discovery, stuffed down the well, outside of the farmhouse, are the bodies of the Ubler family, they've been mutilated, tortured.

The kids are lead quickly away, and soon after accompanied in silence to Oakhurst, the village is only an hour or so down the King's Road, towards Winterhaven.

And already in turmoil, even at this early hour- Olvar, lay Priest of Avandra, is arguing with a strange looking woman, the Myst Witch- Sybil, some sort of hermit hag. The combatants are introduced to the adventurers by Teren, the Mayor of Oakhurst. It seems the pair have been arguing for decades- bad blood exists between the duo, spitting and cursing they finally retire.

The kobold raiders have smashed and vandalised en route to the Ubler Farm, but there are no casualties to report, and yet Teren is worried, kobold raids in the area have grown more frequent, worse still a group of Gnomes were supposed to arrive from Waymoot, a gnome settlement less than a day away, they have not arrived- Teren frets..

No time for a rest, barely time for a swift pint at the Inn and a light lunch and the purchase of pack-up, the adventurers are off again, on the road to Waymoot. Teren has tasked them to rid Oakhurst of the Kobold menace, there's money in it, although, in truth, not much.

DM NOTES- my intention here was to keep the players busy, on the move, being a hero is a 24/7 business, or so it seems.

Five or so hours later and Waymoot is a wreck, a burnt wreck at that, one building in particular has suffered, the remains of a church, within are the charred twisted bodies of dozens of gnomes, all ages, all dead. More signs of kobold attacks, their discarded broken spears lie everywhere.

“This has got to stop, these foul varmints need to be taught a lesson.” Falco declares, the adventurers soon discover the way to go, it seems not all the gnomes are dead, a dozen or more were lead away from Waymoot, towards the Gardbury Downs, Talwyn points out the trail.

They've not gone far when Talwyn spots something else in the cool clear evening, lights in the woods, the adventurers creep forward to see- another farmhouse. The group watch for a while- yet again there's someone within. Finally a Guardian Drake hoves into view, and the charge is on- the adventurers spill into melee, and stumble into yet another kobold encounter.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 3 [750 XP]
Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x4), Dragonshield [Level 2 Soldier] (x2), Wyrmpriest [Level 3 Artillery (Leader)] & Guardian Drake [Level 2 Brute] (x2)

The wyrmpriest is quickly to the fore, the dragonshields guarding the strange kobold who sprays acid orbs hither and thither which nearly lay Daja and Falco low, for a little while at least it seems the adventurers have met their match.

However, as always, they prevail, Vik fades from sight only to reappear behind the wyrmpriest, he leaves his dagger embedded hilt deep between the foul kobold's shoulder blades. Which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that Talwyn chooses that moment to sink two arrows to their fletchings into the creature's chest.

From there on it goes down hill quickly for the bad guys, the only survivor is one of the dragonshields who sees his opportunity and darts out of the ruined farmhouse and back into the wilds, the others are swiftly overcome.

A brief rest and a search reveal a further set of orders, it seems the kobolds are indeed being mobilised, but these are not from the Horned Lord, the attack on Waymoot was ordered by someone called Krusk, which only leads to more questions.

The adventurers head off again, the trail is easy to follow, there must have been at least twenty creatures heading this way, several of the footprints are large, certainly larger than kobolds, and gnomes. It seems the enemy force is comprised of not just the worrisome kobolds, someone or something larger, and much heavier, leads them to battle.

Through the night, and to the edge of exhaustion, they travel, and on... up a windy path to what amounts to a ruined castle, a huge, but fatally broken, construction- the ideal lair for the kobolds Falco thinks, this is the Crag, and the end of the third session.

DM NOTES- Experience points gained this session 618 for a total of 2581 XP each.

DM NOTES- a short session after we encountered difficulties with MapTools, which with an ounce more of effort were simply resolved. Also it seems some members of the group, the players that is, are becoming fractious. More of this alas to follow.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Chapter 1 The Kobold Uprising

Chapter 1 Part 4 Mission accomplished.

1) Recover the Green Dragon Hide for Teldorathan (Status: Incomplete- need to return to collect reward).
4) Destroy the Kobold menace and save Oakhurst (Status: Ongoing).
5) Rescue the Gnomes of Waymoot (Status: Ongoing).

The Crag, on the 9th of Eleint, Vik has just finished a complete circuit of the ruined castle, the walls are mostly rubble although in each corner solid stone towers still stand strong, and atop them- squinting in the first light are pairs of kobolds. Furthermore in the centre of the castle is a partially collapsed keep, there are more kobolds inside. Vik goes as far as to draw a plan of the layout, a short but sometimes heated debate occurs, finally the adventurers are in agreement, and soon after in place.

DM NOTES- back to the bickering for the players.

Then when finally settled on a purpose they spring their ambush, diving over the pile of rubble and straight into the heart of the keep, catching a number of the kobolds unaware.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 3 [850 XP]
Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x12), Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x2) & Hobgoblins- Soldier [Level 1 Soldier] (x2), Berserker [Level 3 Brute]

The central keep is quickly taken, a pair of Kobold skirmishers, four minions and a hobgoblin soldier are killed, from above a bell sounds and seconds later a pair of Hobgoblins tramp down the stair, another soldier and a a huge brute wearing the rags of armour but already frothing at the mouth- clearly frenzied. Krusk, for it is he, meets steel with steel a raging torrent of axe blows, it certainly takes the adventurers by surprise, Falco is badly hurt, Vik likewise- the rogue is forced to withdraw from the action.

And screaming from the surrounding towers come a scrum of kobold minions, another eight of the miscreants, these are however only a nuisance, half of the creatures are killed before they close in on the adventurers, the rest flee having suddenly lost their appetite for the battle. Meanwhile inside the keep Krusk is finally brought to his knees, the wrecked keep returns to silence, and nature- the kobold interlopers are all but destroyed.

On last legs the intrepid adventurers search and finally locate a trapdoor to below, gingerly they enter and discover the few gnomes that are left alive- women and children. The kobolds have been using the gnome kids for target practice.

Yet more orders are discovered, this time on the body of Krusk, the adventurers are working their way up the hierarchy it seems, the papers are signed by Varkaze, whoever he may be, ordering Krusk to attack Oakhurst and to disrupt trade on the King's Road to Fallcrest.

And yet the kobolds are dead, and the menace to Oakhurst is ended, the adventurers need only return to the village to claim their reward.

Exhausted the group settle down to rest, ensconced in one of the towers- feeding and taking what care they can of the gnome survivors, they post watch of course.

Which proves to be a wise choice, before midnight their rest is rudely interrupted, clambering through the arrow slits of the tower come nearly a dozen stirges.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 5 [1000 XP]
Stirge [Level 1 Lurker] (x10)

The fight is short but very bloody, although most of the blood originates from the stirges, in total six of them are destroyed while the other four flee back the way they came. Creeped out by the strange encounter, the stirges have odd markings on them- all daubed in blood, or else red paint, the symbols depict bloody hands and a crown and horn-shaped emblem, the adventurers stay awake for a few hours more before finally succumbing to sleep- once again with a guard posted.

GAME DETAILS- Level 2.
With the Stirge encounter the players have enough experience points to level up, and thus they take the opportunity to do so.

And so late on in the day the heroes arise to breakfast in the tower in the Crag, although it's actually early evening; soon after the adventurers, in slightly better spirits, make their way back to Oakhurst travelling through the night again, the way is clear and lit by a full moon.

Eleven hours of walking later, with a short break for second breakfast, and it's the 10th of Eleint already, the group have the village of Oakhurst in sight when a grizzly looking human appears on the path ahead.

“No further, I don't know who you lot are, and I don't much care- but you”, the man points at Vik,” you're wanted back in Fallcrest- Stormbeard wants you back. Alive, or dead.” He fingers his blade.

Talwyn motions left, Vik right- there are more enemies in the bushes either side of the path.

“What have you been up to?” Talwyn asks Vik, the rogue looks sheepish but just shrugs.
“He's with us now. You're going to have to come through me.” Falco hefts his halberd.

And thus the fight begins.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 1 [525 XP]
Humans- Thug [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x4), Bandit [Level 2 Skirmisher]

DM NOTES- an easy encounter but be assured it will be the first of many, somebody has it in for the eladrin rogue, Vik.

And is very soon over, two of the thugs that emerge from the undergrowth are quickly killed, the other two escape, the bandit leader, the grizzly man, is not so lucky- he's decapitated by Daja.

A brief search locates a wanted poster of sorts- it seems there's a reward of 100gp for the return of Vik, dead or alive. Which leads to a short discussion, Vik finally admits that he was employed formerly by Stormbeard, the gangster dwarf, but he decided that his future lay elsewhere. Falco and Daja see the sense in this, Lambrini is placated, Talwyn however remains suspicious of the eladrin.

A little over thirty minutes later the group arrive back in Oakhurst, and are greeted as heroes, a short Q&A with the locals, and the adventurers take to there beds- spent. The gnomes are situated within the shrine of Avandra, fed and made welcome.

Before the end of the day the adventurers rise again, and the party begins in earnest, sat at the head table they are introduced to almost every member of the community of Oakhurst, including Reynold the Miller who has since their departure learnt how they had earlier saved his sons, they are given all manner of gifts, including money, but mainly pies and other baked products.

The evening is a great success, although it sours at one point when Sybil and Olvar take to screaming at each other again. Vik follows the Myst Witch out of the bar after the argument and applies his charm, a little while after he has the truth of it- it seems Olvar likes Sybil, or at least did two decades ago, when they were young. Sybil on the other hand was in love with Olvar's brother Talwin (another Talwin), only that didn't work out either. Eager to prove himself Talwin set off in search of adventure, and thereby fortune enough to marry Sybil, he never returned. Sybil and Olvar have been at each others throats ever since, Olvar lost a brother, Sybil lost a lover.

And so the party finally breaks up, drunk and full of pie the adventurers take to there beds again and spend another warm and comfortable night at the Inn.

The 11th of Eleint dawns, and several hours later the adventurers, after a sustained lie in followed by a hearty breakfast, they make ready to return to Fallcrest, perhaps to face the music, they intend to take the gnomes with them, find the poor creatures some place to live away from danger.

Teren the Mayor of Oakhurst is less keen on this new venture, it seems he wishes to keep the heroes around, the people in the village feel safer with kobold killers watching over them. Alas nothing Teren says can persuade them to stay, that is until he cracks and finally mentions the Lost Tomb.

It transpires that there exists an ancient, well certainly old, tomb about four hours hike north of the village, many have ventured there, at least in their youth, a sort of dare or initiation- but none have reported ever entering. At first this only nudges the adventurers interest, they are keen to get back to Fallcrest it seems. Teren goes a little further, the Lost Tomb is dotted with worn symbols of the Raven Queen, who is held in high esteem by Talwyn and Daja, the group pack their bags for adventure and head off following Teren's crude map vowing to return soon.

And thus the adventurers arrive at the old tomb, an ancient marble affair, although it has lost its lustre and is now wreathed in vines. The scorch marks before the door give away the presence of a trap, alas Vik is not so careful in his attempt to neutralise the blast and is momentarily swathed in flame, it's not enough to dissuade his efforts, a little while later they enter.

The pillared chamber ends in a great statue of an elf, bearing more symbols of the Raven Queen- before the adventurers can get close enough to pick out detail the space before the statue shimmers for a second and a trio of armed and armoured skeletons take shape- they rush to attack the intruders.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 1 [550 XP]
Skeleton Warrior [Level 3 Soldier] (x3) & Fire Trap [Level 1 Blaster]

DM NOTES-they're having an easy time of it this session, however there's method in my madness, it's a story thing.

The creatures are no match for the party and are swiftly disassembled, Falco pours holy light onto them, which doesn't help their cause.

The statue is of Belazamon, a holy warrior of the Raven Queen or so it appears, none present know of him, the statue moves or rather would do if only they could figure out how- Vik assures them. Talwyn notes that the elf depicted wears a holy amulet of the Raven Queen which is missing its centrepiece, a gem of some sort.

Also in the tomb are the dessicated remains of a human, on closer inspection the almost skeletal corpse has a locket around his neck, inside is a sketch of a woman, it's Sybil- back when she was young and beautiful, and that would make the corpse Talwin.

Curiosity sated, for the moment, the adventurers head back to Oakhurst bearing the body of the missing adventurer. Olvar and Sybil can at last grieve properly, their shared emotion ends their arguments forever, they find solace in each others company.

With another mystery solved the adventurers settle down to a night of rest in the Inn.

GAME DETAILS- Experience.
This session the players accumulate 1097 xp for a grand total of 3679 xp each, they need 11,000 XP to rise to the exalted status of level 3.

DM NOTES- yet more arguing this evening, it seems one of the characters, the others feel, is perhaps not pulling there weight.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Chapter 1 The Kobold Uprising Part 5 It's not over until it's over.

GAME DETAILS- Quests
4) Destroy the Kobold menace and save Oakhurst (Status: Complete).
5) Rescue the Gnomes of Waymoot (Status: Complete).
6) Solve Olvar and Sybil's differences (Status: Complete).
7) Find the missing gem from Belazamon's statue (Statue: Ongoing).

In the middle of the night the adventurers are awoken by the sounds of screaming, they grab their gear and head down and out of the Inn and straight into melee. The building is being attacked six creatures set to deal death and destruction, a pair of Hobgoblins thickly armoured and four accompanying kobolds, it seems the menace is not yet at an end.

Furthermore, shouts and screams echo in the night from places unseen in the village, it's certain that other buildings are being attacked also.

Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x12), Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x4) & Hobgoblin Soldier [Level 3 Soldier] (x2)

DM NOTES- Hobgoblins, they should slow them down a little.

The hobgoblin soldiers hang around for a while but the victory is never in doubt, particularly as this first group, attacking the Inn, suffer the full wrath of the adventurers.

There beef quickly settled the adventurers split into two groups- Vik and Talwyn head south; while Daja, Falco and Lambrini head north. Both roads lead to other buildings under attack by a clutches of kobolds- actually six more kobolds in each location.

Once again the fight is bloody, but hardly protracted, particularly in the northern fracas where Lambrini's flaming deluge slays half the kobolds present in one fiery strike- a couple get away, flee up the road out of the village and back into the wilds.

The group to the south are likewise taken care of, this time by arrow and dagger combination, not a one escapes the blade or the bow.

And so with victory once again confirmed the weary adventurers head back to their rest, alas their way is barred, Teren gets mad.

“You said you killed 'em?” Is the most of it, scoured of foul language, the mayor is beyond fretful and heading towards full on terrified.

“We did kill them you fool, this was some other bunch.” Talwyn's offering goes down like a lead balloon.

Durn, the village blacksmith, a dwarf, saves events from deteriorating further, he points to the kobold spears, or rather their tips- obsidian, and remarks that the only place in the region with large deposits of obsidian is a place called the Stone Table, back the way the adventurers came- beyond the Crag and a way into the foothills of the Gardbury Downs.

Then a second interruption arrives, horsemen on the road, from Fallcrest, Vik affects panic but the effort is wasted, it turns out to be a heavily armoured patrol, Roadwardens lead by shinning armoured one.

A hasty meeting takes place in the Inn, Sir Abraham, a Paladin of Pelor, blessed with the sure-footed confidence and manner of one born into money and influence, and yet mild and well-mannered, not condescending but almost gentle. He is known by reputation to the adventurers that make their permanent home in Fallcrest and its environs, that is Vik and Falco.

Those that need to be placated are placated, those that need answers are given the truth- the kobolds are in rebellion, an uprising. The source of this sport, that is the general of the army, is a creature known as the Horned Lord, who sits atop his perch in a place called the Horned Citadel. The adventurers add to the story when they can. There have been attacks on the King's Road, all the way up to Winterhaven, several villages have been likewise threatened, at least two have been destroyed- the Horned Lord must be stopped, which is why Sir Abraham and his companions are abroad.

Then another tale, of a tower or a citadel, that appears in the woods, somewhere near these parts, and as suddenly disappears, how it does this is not known, although Vik has an idea- the eladrin in ages past used such towers to travel between this world and the Feywild, their ancestral home.

Sir Abraham seeks the tower, and the Horned Lord, to put the creature to the sword, to stop this misery, will the adventurers aid his cause?

The paladin also has a big bag of gold which he shares with the adventurers, payment in full is made for the heads so far collected, which smooths any remaining troubled waters.

A little later the adventurers pack their bags and head for the road, or rather path, back through the woods, all day marching through the beauties of nature knowing that yet again they are set to put their lives on the line, but this time it is part of some greater thing they work. There task is not only to end the kobold menace but to discover what they can about the location of the Horned Citadel.

They spend a fitful night in the Crag, unmolested this time, and head on again on the morning of the 13th of Eleint, following Durn's crude sketch of the area.

Late in the afternoon a chance for sport presents itself, a lone stirge, already burdened- a gut full of blood, totters and flaps towards them- they make mincemeat of it, and almost fall into the clutches of the kobold patrol which follows the odd avian.

And when they think things can get no worse a second patrol ambles into the clearing in which they stand.

Kobolds- Slinger [Level 1 Artillery], Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x4), Fire Beetle [Level 1 Brute] (x2), Stormclaw Scorpion [Level 1 Soldier] (x2) & Stirge [Level 1 Lurker]

DM NOTES- and what a lot I got, oh this one is going to be fun- two fire beetles, and two scorpions, surely...

The first patrol is quickly cut down, although a few of the adventurers suffer in the fracas, particularly from burns, however quick kills allow the adventurers the moments respite needed for them to reposition to meet the charge of the second patrol.

The scorpions are killed in but a moment, attracting the artillery instantly, and bloodied even before they can get halfway to the heroes.

DM NOTES- bastards.

And yet ,for all that, the adventurers are sorely wounded in the encounter, burnt and blloodied, some of their greater powers spent, although in the midst of the melee they chose to stolidly ignore their wounds of course.

DM NOTES- that is all save one, the players offer the cold shoulder to Talwyn. It seems at some point in the past Talwyn, or rather the player, has stated that he will help out with the melee every now and then, take the weight off Falco's shoulders- who spends much of every fight standing to the left or the right of the Paladin, blocking the way to the more delicate members of the adventuring company. Which the players have also pointed out in the past does not include Talwyn, who has more hit points, a better AC, a better to hit and does more damage than the Priest of Kord. Talwyn's player has of late chosen a different route, and made his intentions clear not by words but by actions, the Ranger stands at the back, right at the back- and uses his bow. He hasn't drawn his scimitars for... I can't remember, maybe the Young White Dragon. The result of which is, typically, at the end of the adventuring day the Paladin has one healing surge, Falco none, Vik one or none, Lambrini two or three and the Ranger has maybe, maybe I said, lost one.

There follows a debate, cleverly disguised as an argument, recriminations abound, the other players wanting a little more of the previous promise from the Ranger. I can see both sides, they all can, and yet this is a social venture, fun is the aim, some people are not getting their fair share it seems. More of this another time.

Readied the adventurers head on and just less than an hour later discover their quarry, the Stone Table, and therein a rough looking cave with all the signs of an active lair, including a myriad kobold tracks.

They venture in, down a dark and damp passage which heads on into the stink, and emerges soon after in a kobold guard room of sorts, here the foul miscreants eat supper by a flowing underground stream, and pet their Giant Rat companions- other passages lead off from the chamber.

Vik, as silent as death, goes for inspection and returns soon after with news. There's an alarm of sorts, a bell with a hammer, a kobold guarding it, just into the chamber around the corner in fact from where they stand and whisper.

A plan is quickly hashed out, it involves mostly a headlong charge into the midst of their enemies and thereafter hack and slash, simple but inelegant, and so it proves.

GAME DETAILS- Encounter Level 4 [975 XP]
Kobolds- Minions [Level 1 Minion] (x8), Slinger [Level 1 Artillery], Skirmisher [Level 1 Skirmisher] (x2) & Rats- Giant [Level 1 Minion] (x7), Dire [Level 1 Brute] (x2)

The fight is protracted, particularly as no account was made for the Dire Rats which emerge from a passage to the east, and a second skirmisher with his slinger buddy who enter from the north.

And yet the enemies are still no match for the heroes, the fire-starter- Lambrini the Great to her friends, has a field day- the minions (kobold & rat) are decimated, the other enemies eventually cut to the quick, all dead, save the slinger who scampers back the way he came.

GAME DETAILS- Experience.
This session the players accumulate 1004 xp for a grand total of 4683 xp each, they need 11,000 XP to rise to the exalted status of level 3.

DM NOTES- Talwyn is an optimised Ranger, for bow, although still very effective with a sword (scimitar). I have allowed the players to alter their characters over the course of the game so far, to find the balance- this is fun afterall. Talwyn has modified his powers to better suit a ranged combatant, initially he stated that he would hold the line in melee when needed. I have tried to offer more of a challenge by having attackers arrive from off the board in the hope that Talwyn will be, every now and then, pressed into using his scimitars, the player has however chosen to remain fixed at his bow, and has a move of 7, double move 14, and powers that will enable him to get further away from the melee. There's nothing wrong with any of this of course, except for the fact that a typical encounter eventually gets round to Daja, Falco and Vik in the midst of melee, and suffering for it, Lambrini trying to keep out of reach, and Talwyn further away still- safe. The result, inevitably, is a beating for those in the midst of the fracas, and also sometimes Lambrini if she strays too close, Talwyn however emerges from most scraps unscathed. The player believes this situation is ideal, he needs no healing, little in the way of support in fact, he operates as a devastating weapon which kills from a distance. The other players see this, and yet remain unsatisfied, Falco yearns to use his ranged powers, Vik is fed up of always being at the front, Talwyn has of late resigned also from sneaking duties, Vik functions solo in this respect, even in the wild where the Ranger's skills are at least as useful as the Rogue's, Talwyn's Sneak skill is one less than Vik's.

While the above may seem churlish to some, a Ranger armed with a bow doing what he's good at, to the other players it's a problem. Falco didn't sign up to do all of the fighting (and Defending), Vik didn't sign up to do all of the scouting. Lambrini, who does the same as Talwyn, stays out of the trouble, is forgiven easily- her AC is 13 or so, her HP few, and all her powers function better at a distance. Talwyn is not forgiven, there are grumblings, particularly as Talwyn's player thinks the other players are stupid for not optimising their characters to suit their roles.

Their roles, that's the nub of it. Falco is having to be a Defender all the time and is pissed off at it, particularly when Talwyn has a better AC etc., the Paladin is fed up of being the one on the floor, Vik is fed up leading the charge, he's the least experienced player we have, although still good at it, he just doesn't feel comfortable calling the shots. Lambrini and Talwyn are fine with it all, although... It gets much worse later of course.

Oh dear.

I know you're past this point in RL now, but I just wanted to say that I can really feel for you as the DM being in the middle of this!

Can't comment too much as I haven't played 4e myself, but I can certainly see both sides of the argument.

If I recall correctly from what you said in the Castle Whiterock thread, you play with this group online. I wonder if the disagreement would have been resolved more easily if it had all been done face to face? Or maybe not.

Anyway, hope you can get past it and have a successful game in the long run.

Remove ads