• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wolf Man

Villano

First Post
Here's a first look at Benicio del Toro in Rick Baker make-up. I can't wait to see this...

Attachments

• wolfman2008.jpg
    wolfman2008.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The makeup looks great, but I doubt that the movie will be anywhere near as good as the original. Lon jr. made the character a figure of pathos. I expect this one to just be a gore fest.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I hope your wrong the last good werewolf film was American Werewolf in London, I would like to see another one.

*Mumbles to self about how they should make a Werewolf: The Forsaken movie*

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Fallen Seraph said:
I hope your wrong the last good werewolf film was American Werewolf in London, I would like to see another one.
Actually, I happened to enjoy Cursed quite a bit.

Fallen Seraph said:
*Mumbles to self about how they should make a Werewolf: The Forsaken movie*
That would kick serious arse.

Villano

First Post
Ed_Laprade said:
The makeup looks great, but I doubt that the movie will be anywhere near as good as the original. Lon jr. made the character a figure of pathos. I expect this one to just be a gore fest.

Well, they aren't doing an exact remake. Last I heard, it was set in 1888 and Lawrence Talbot is an actor in London who returns to his family home when his brother is killed on the moors.

Personally, I was very happy when I saw that they were actually going to use a Wolf MAN instead of a CGI werewolf. It's also supposed to be rated R, so no campy Van Helsing nonsense. :D

Reveille said:
Didn't even know about this till just now, but I'm big on lycan movies, so this is a no brainer for me. :cool:

You should check out www.werewolf-movies.com. It's a pretty good list of werewolf movies and tv shows. It isn't perfect. Not all the movies have reviews and there are a couple of errors (the description of Monster Club claims that one of the stories is called "The Vampire and the Werewolf", which isn't true). Still, you'll probably find a few movies you've never heard of (I know I did). :)

frankthedm

First Post
Half a century ago gluing short and curlies on the face and slapping fake teeth in may have been enough for a werewolf, but I expect more out of a werewollf movie nowadays. A movie maker does not have to go CG, since there is a huge array of practical effects to use, but IMHO, Hypertrichosis and bad teeth don't cut it.

Edit: Maybe the look could work for a first transformation / still retaining humanity look, but the lengthening of the werewolf's muzzle / is one of the things that really add to the monstrous feel of the werewolf.

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
frankthedm said:
Half a century ago gluing short and curlies on the face and slapping fake teeth in may have been enough for a werewolf, but I expect more out of a werewollf movie nowadays. Hypertrichosis and bad teeth don't cut it.
I expect a werecreature to look inhuman, digitigrade legs, claws, a animal head. Otherwise it's just the guy-in-makeup syndrome. Not impressive at all just boring. Much as the movies weren't so good the werewolves in Underworld were very well done and with little cgi.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Villano said:
Here's a first look at Benicio del Toro in Rick Baker make-up. I can't wait to see this...

Otta post a normal pic of del Toro next to him in make up. Even without the make up, he's a bit... unusual looking.

The Wolf Man (2009 film)

Directed by;
Joe Johnston

Produced by;
Scott Stuber
Rick Yorn
Mary Parent
Benicio del Toro

Written by;
David Self
Andrew Kevin Walker

Starring;
Benicio del Toro
Anthony Hopkins
Emily Blunt
Hugo Weaving

Distributed by;
Universal Studios

Release date(s);
February 13, 2009
Country United States
United Kingdom

Language;
English

Budget US;
$85 million

The Wolf Man is a 2009 horror film that is a remake of the 1941 Universal Studios classic The Wolf Man. The remake is directed by Joe Johnston and stars Benicio del Toro. The Wolf Man is slated for release on February 13, 2009.

Premise;
Set in the late 1880s, the film keeps the plotline of the original, with Lawrence Talbot meeting his father following the death of his brother. The film details events during Lawrence's past that led to his estrangement from his father (which includes Gwen), and the setting is expanded from Blackmore (now identified as the village from the original) to London.

Cast;
Benicio del Toro as Lawrence Talbot, a man who is bitten by a werewolf.
Anthony Hopkins as Sir John Talbot, Lawrence's father.
Emily Blunt as Gwen Conliffe, whom Talbot falls in love with.
Hugo Weaving as Detective Aberline, who investigates murders by the transformed Talbot.

Production;
In March 2006, Universal Studios announced the remake of The Wolf Man with actor Benicio del Toro (a fan of the original film and collector of Wolf Man memorabilia) in the lead role. Screenwriter Andrew Kevin Walker was attached to the screenplay, developing the original film's story to include additional characters as well as plot points that would take advantage of modern visual effects. In February 2007, director Mark Romanek was attached to helm The Wolf Man.[6] The film was scheduled for a November 12, 2008 release, before being pushed back to early 2009 in September 2007.

In January 2008, Romanek left the project because of "creative differences". Brett Ratner emerged as a frontrunner to replace Romanek, but the studio also met with Frank Darabont, James Mangold and Joe Johnston. They were also interested in Bill Condon, and Martin Campbell was interested. Johnston was hired to direct on February 3, 2008, and the film's shooting schedule and budget remained as intended. Johnston hired David Self to rewrite the script. The film will cost US$85 million to make, and shooting will be conducted in the United Kingdom. Shooting began in March 2008.

Rick Baker is creating the make-up for The Wolf Man. When he heard Universal was remaking the film, he eagerly pursued it, as both The Wolf Man and Frankenstein inspired him to become a make-up artist as a child. He acknowledged transforming Del Toro was difficult because he is a hairy man: "Going from Benicio to Benicio as the Wolf Man isn't a really extreme difference. Like when I did An American Werewolf in London, we went from this naked man to a four-legged hound from hell, and we had a lot of room to go from the transformation and do a lot of really extreme things. Here we have Benicio Del Toro, who's practically the Wolf Man already, to Benicio Del Toro with more hair and bigger teeth." The make-up takes three hours to apply, and one hour to remove. New pieces of latex prosthetic makeup and loose hair is applied to Del Toro's face each day, while several dentures and wigs were created in case some were damaged.

Last edited:

Remove ads