• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wolverine movie (spoilers)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
So, I've just come back from watching "The Wolverine" and I enjoyed it - certainly more than the wolverine origins movie a little while ago.

I do have a question that perhaps someone more familiar with the series run it was based on could explain to me though...

How does a giant robot cut his adamantium claws off? I thought the whole point of adamantium in Marvel mythology is that it can't be worked or modified once cast. I certainly don't remember any idea of anything being able to cut it!

Any ideas folks?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
How does a giant robot cut his adamantium claws off? I thought the whole point of adamantium in Marvel mythology is that it can't be worked or modified once cast. I certainly don't remember any idea of anything being able to cut it!
The properties of the material have varied depending on which alternate universe it has appeared in. In some it can be used to cut itself. In others people like Thor and Hulk have only managed to slightly dent it. And in some supernatural/magical powers have broken it.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
In the movie with DeadZone, they dented Adamantium with an Adamantium bullet. Here, the Silver Samurai seems to have an Adamantium sword which is energized in some special fashion. The Samurai was built to access Wolverine's marrow through the claw stubs. The sword seems to have been designed specifically to cut through the claws.

What I wonder is if and how he will get his Adamantium claws back, or if he will thenceforth have the organic ones.

TomB

Janx

Hero
yeah, they were stockpiling adamantium, that was one of the factoids mentioned early in the movie about the secret research the old man was doing.

The implication being, the robot or its swords were made of Adamantium for the express purpose of dealing with Wolverine.

It seemed less plausible that the old man was the bad guy, when he was the type of man who would rescue prisoners before the bomb would strike.

I still liked the movie, I just would have been happier if Shingen was the Silver Samurai (makes sense, he's a sword mofo) and the yakuza was after Yuriko.

It just seemed jerky that nice, honorable guy becomes obsessed with wolverine so he can fake his own death and get wolverine's goodies.

Nellisir

Hero
yeah, they were stockpiling adamantium, that was one of the factoids mentioned early in the movie about the secret research the old man was doing.

The implication being, the robot or its swords were made of Adamantium for the express purpose of dealing with Wolverine.

It seemed less plausible that the old man was the bad guy, when he was the type of man who would rescue prisoners before the bomb would strike.

I still liked the movie, I just would have been happier if Shingen was the Silver Samurai (makes sense, he's a sword mofo) and the yakuza was after Yuriko.

It just seemed jerky that nice, honorable guy becomes obsessed with wolverine so he can fake his own death and get wolverine's goodies.

Yup. I saw it coming, and was a little disappointed that they didn't add a better twist.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
In the comics, the Silver Samuri was mutant that created a tachyon field around his sword that allowed it to cut through anything. Guess you could call it a mono-filament blade.

Plane Sailing

However, that doesn't tally with the comics portrayal of adamantium, which can't be used to cut itself.

I know, I know, "movies are different to comics". It just still jarred with me.

Plane Sailing

(snip)

I agree here 100%. Why can't we have the nice, honourable guy stay honourable? It did seem like a jerky thing to do with him. Sometimes I wonder if scriptwriters only want to allow a certain number of 'honourable' people in a movie, I case it 'confuses' the viewers.

Janx

Hero
However, that doesn't tally with the comics portrayal of adamantium, which can't be used to cut itself.

I know, I know, "movies are different to comics". It just still jarred with me.

I assume the adamantium was to build the sword and/or armor to protect from wolvie's claws.

I assume the Red effect on the sword is what enabled it to cut adamantium.

Nytmare

David Jose
Yeah, all the way through, I kept waiting to see how either the Viper had twisted things around and show how she had convinced him that this was the right course of action, or show something that had fundamentally changed who he was. The fact that it happened somewhere off camera definitely left a very empty hole in the movie for me.

All that being said however, it's easily my favorite of any of the movies that have included Wolverine.

Remove ads