• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Wolvrin, Canine humanoids

Herosmith14

First Post
Okay, Ill admit, this was heavily based on the Tabaxi, and I know the typical "canine humanoids" in DnD have been the Gnolls, but a) I honestly didn't want to have to deconstruct the statblocks to build a race, b) I'm not a fan of the infernal fluff they have, and c) I just wasnt thinking of them when I started this a couple months ago. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Wolvrin
[h=1]Solitary Hunters[/h]Wolvrin live their lives away from civilization, hardly ever coming into contact with other humanoids. They know their bipedal cousins exist, they simply care not for any but their own species. They hardly ever make alliances with other species, prefering to stay to themselves.
It is not unheard of for a Wolvrin to venture forth into the lands beyond their pack’s grounds, but it is rare. More often than not, these intrepid adventurers are Omegas, cast out from their packs for some sort of offense.
[h=1]Pack Above All[/h]Wolvrin value the pack and their packmates above all. The duty of the Alpha is to serve the pack and protect it through every long winter and every natural disaster. It is considered one of the greatest crimes one can commit to intentionally hurt the pack, and even if such a thing occured accidentally, the consequences are dire. Those who are not executed are cast out, exiled and marked as Omegas.
[h=1]A Name is Earned[/h]In most Wolvrin packs, a pup is not given a name at birth, unless it’s circumstances of arrival are unusual or if great signigicance. A pup goes through the first years of its life with no name except for that of its pack. Eventually, when a pup has matured and proven themselves an able warrior and beneficial member of the pack(usually by the mid to late teens), it will be given a name by the pack alpha.

[h=1]Wolvrin Names[/h]Wolvrin names are typically descriptive of physical characteristics and past events. While it is most certainly not unheard of for a Wolvrin to have their name changed by the alpha, it is most certainly uncommon. Wolvrin pack names are typically derived from a landmark near their hunting grounds. Wolvrin use the same names for males and females.

Wolvrin Names. Sharpfang, Quickblade, Rivergift, Bloodpelt, Oneye, Moonhowl, Swifttracker, Manslayer, Greyfur

Pack Names. Riverrun, Frostglade, Pinewood, Deeplake, Duskvalley, Highpeak

[h=1]Wolvrin Traits[/h]Ability Score increase. Your Strength Score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Wolvrin have lifespans equivalent to humans.
Alignment. To most Wolvrin, the pack is everything, leaning them towards lawful. Their indifference to all other races also makes them considered neutral.
Size. Wolvrin are taller than humans, and typically have a bigger build. Your size is medium.
Speed. You have a base walking speed of 30ft, and a swimming speed of 30ft.
Keen Hearing and Smell. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sound and smell.
Bite. You gain a natural weapon in the form of your bite. This attack uses your strength score, and does 1d6 piercing in place of the normal damage for an unarmed strike.
Wild Hunters. You gain proficiency with the Athletics and Survival skills.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Gnoll.

This sounds pretty good and seems well-balanced as compared to other races. For some reason the swimming speed is throwing me off. Maybe a "swimming speed of 20ft" - that makes it better than your average race, but not as good as a Triton or Lizardfolk; and it's more in line with the Tabaxi's climbing speed of 20 ft.

I think another ability might be flavorful - thinking something along the lines of the Ranger's Primeval Awareness, but only with wolves or dogs:

You have an innate ability to communicate with wolves and dogs, and they recognize you as a kindred spirit.
Through sounds and gestures, you can communicate simple ideas to a wolf or dog as an action, and can read its basic mood and intent. You learn its emotional state, whether it is affected by magic of any sort, its short-term needs (such as food or safety), and actions you can take (if any) to persuade it to not attack.
You cannot use this ability against a creature that you have attacked within the past 10 minutes

Or maybe simpler still, based on the Forest Gnome's Speak with Small Beasts ability:
Speak with Canids: You can communicate with dogs and wolves
(and perhaps foxes, jackals, dingoes...).

Last edited:

Remove ads