The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

CEXkKiqUsAADuq1.jpg

OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.

CEXk_2UUIAA18QX.jpg

YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.

CEXlbDRUUAA1KJG.jpg
CEXlbDVUIAAjx2O.jpg
CEXlbHxVEAEU5nF.jpg
CEXlbKQUUAAQxoA.jpg

THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.

CEXlz0NVIAIsi3J.jpg

GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.

CEXmWjDUUAA95l4.jpg

RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.

CEXm0_fUsAATIyA.jpg

PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.

CEXnNiIUkAAMyaR.jpg
CEXnNikVEAA7aHI.jpg

TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.

CEXnxQ4VEAAilzD.jpg

THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.

CEWVicQUMAA4Xqu.jpg

D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.

Werebat

Explorer
This... Looks promising. My group isn't sure what to do after we finish the Lost Mines of Phandelver, and I might pitch this to them.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm actually more afraid of his father, the Puddin' Pop.

Wasn't he devoured by that giant comedian sometime during the '80s?

Bill-Cosby-Jello-Pop-GIF.gif

TwoSix said:
"Of course you can join the party! There's always room for J-E-L-L-O."

That settles it. This is a cross-brand promotion with Kraft Foods, and they will be making GLABBAGOOL - flavored packets to turn into perfect green cubes (with grapes floating in them). To truly experience the entire story, you'll need to collect all the stickers on specially marked packets and assemble them to spell out the secret phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is pretty interesting! Alice in Wonderland reskinned as an underdark adventure against demon princes? Well, it's already sounds a damn sight more creative than it did yesterday! Great artwork too.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yay! Saturday morning cartoon-level caricatures with silly names! Now I don't know about you, but this screams "terrifying underdark story involving demons and mad villains" to me.

Add in Drizz't and I'm pretty sure this will be the most awesomest of awesome $60 story-books the world has ever seen!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PS: In case you missed it...that whole post was SARCASM. Just FYI. In other words, I am not a fan of this new "multi-media story" thing they're doing. Ick.

Since this post is clearly correct when taken at face value, I shall ignore the sarcasm: a Saturday morning cartoon along these lines is precisely what D&D needs! I love the level of humor that is being brought to this adventure, perfectly reminding us how *weird* the Underdark is.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Wasn't he devoured by that giant comedian sometime during the '80s?
Unfortunately, there's no response I can make here that wouldn't cross the boundaries of good taste and board rules, so just imagine I'm thinking something inappropriate in response. :)

That settles it. This is a cross-brand promotion with Kraft Foods, and they will be making GLABBAGOOL - flavored packets to turn into perfect green cubes (with grapes floating in them). To truly experience the entire story, you'll need to collect all the stickers on specially marked packets and assemble them to spell out the secret phrase.
Why sell miniatures when you can make edible miniatures!

Glabbagool has 10 times the crossover potential of Warduke, that's for sure. I already pretty much want the adventure to be "Glabbagool and the Real Demonhunters."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is pretty interesting! Alice in Wonderland reskinned as an underdark adventure against demon princes? Well, it's already sounds a damn sight more creative than it did yesterday! Great artwork too.

Don't think the plot will be very Alice in Wonderland like. It seems that Perkins meant he was going for a feel of bizarre otherworldliness and off-kilter humor inspired by Carroll: or perhaps, Gygax (not known as the most serious or grimdark of DMs...).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads