• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The world still needs a good Victorian/Steampunk campaign setting

JPL

Adventurer
Stormborn said:
If I were looking for a d20 Steampunk book I would want it to do for d20 modern/past what GURPS Steampunk does for the GURPS Basic rules.

Bingo.

Glad to hear some folks have this in the works.

(And I shoulda specified...we need a good d20 steampunk setting.]

BPIJonathan

Explorer
JPL said:
Not the elves in tophats thing. That's been done.

No, I'm thinking more along the lines of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen / Jules Verne / weird science / Golden Dawn kinda thing. "Victorian high adventure" as the basic millieu [proto-pulp, I like to call it], with a little bit of everything else [period sci-fi and occultism, especially] thrown in.

The last time I brought this up, a few people were kicking around similar ideas. Anyone following up on that?

It seems that our game Fantastic World OGL would fit the bill. Its due out in October and has all of these elements. I know an October release date doesnt help you right this minute, but October will be here before you know it.

Banshee16

First Post
GMSkarka said:
At the risk of pissing people of by "pimping" my company, Adamant Entertainment will be releasing a Victorian/Steampunk supplement/setting this year, based on my mid-90s RPG Age of Empire.

It will be titled AGE OF GASLIGHT (to avoid product confusion with Microsoft's computer game series which has come out since the original release).

What sort of stuff would you guys like to see in it?

Will this book be replacing "Gloriana"? Or are they separate products? Or is Gloriana dead?

Banshee

S'mon

Legend
I think d20M or Grim Tales would work well with GDW's Space:1889, whose own system was a bit simplistic. I like Space:1889 although I don't think it fully addresses the logical implications of prevalent flight in the 19th century, with air fleets able to transport entire armies warfare would have changed utterly. Flight is needed to explain interplanetary travel in the game, which I think is problematic - some kind of portal system might have been a better idea.

Stormborn

Explorer
Looks like Malladin is getting their Etherscope setting out soon. Looking forward to that. However, I don't know if thats what JPL was looking for, although League's London and Malladin's Metropolis sound a lot a like. But perhaps adventures could be set earlier in that world, when ether tech isn't as rampant.

malladin

Explorer
Stormborn said:
...However, I don't know if thats what JPL was looking for, although League's London and Malladin's Metropolis sound a lot a like...

Etherscope is both Cyberpunk and Victoriana/Steampunk. We've carefuly created it so that you can easily play both styles of game within the same setting. The Great Metropolis (as we are now calling it) is the place where you'd most likely run the cyberpunk style games. There's certainly some influence on it from the League comics, but its fair to say it is perhaps more influenced by cyberpunk authors.

Stormborn said:
...But perhaps adventures could be set earlier in that world, when ether tech isn't as rampant.

If you wanted a more steampunk game you'd play elsewhere in the world - places like Africa and South America would make great places to explore with your daring heroes. You wouldn't need to take a step back in time, because the tech doesn't as permeate that for away from teh industrialised zones. Hunting down the secrets of Atlantis is going to be a fairly big theme that we develop in the game, and makes for some classic steampunk-style adventures.

Cheerio,

Ben

GMSkarka

Explorer
Banshee16 said:
Will this book be replacing "Gloriana"? Or are they separate products? Or is Gloriana dead?

Gloriana = Elizabethan

Age of Gaslight = Victorian

Two different things.

That said, Gloriana is currently not exactly dead, but definitely in limbo. We haven't decided how to proceed yet.

Banshee16

First Post
GMSkarka said:
Gloriana = Elizabethan

Age of Gaslight = Victorian

Two different things.

That said, Gloriana is currently not exactly dead, but definitely in limbo. We haven't decided how to proceed yet.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if they were the same thing, or different. I'd been looking at the Gloriana book....or what little info was available about it, and it sounded pretty cool. I'm still digesting Skull & Bones, and you guys did an awesome job with it, so if similar care is put into these other products, whether Age of Gaslight or Gloriana, or something else, I'll be interested in looking.

Banshee

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Being a fan of Victorian sci-fi and steampunk stuff, I think what the world needs is a setting book for Pellucidar, of Edward Rice Burrough's "At the Earth's Core" series.

This has all you'd ever need for Victorian style fantasy adventure ... savage ape men, prehistoric animals, dinosaurs, wild and untamed lands, wierd mental powers, and, by the end of the first two books, steam tech with rail lines and telegraphy.

This would be an awesome setting for a steampunk game ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads