The Young Ones

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It's the Christmas episode, if I'm not mistaken.

Cool.

British shows are difficult for me to get where I live... but two nights ago I was able to score seven seasons of Dr Who so maybe I'll be able to find Young Ones and Bottom.... :)

Bambi was my top pick. It had everything you could ask for in an episode.

The first episode I saw was where Neil spouted his wonderful mantra, "First you sow the seed, then nature grows the seed and then we eat the seed." Nothing compared to that first episode. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I watched it last year and thought it had not aged to well. Also watched Bottom and The New Statesman and thought both have aged better although a basic knowledge of history would help with TNS to get some of the jokes poking fun at Thatcher etc.

Yikes. It makes me feel old when things I remember in my lifetime are referred to as "history".

Zardnaar

Legend
Yikes. It makes me feel old when things I remember in my lifetime are referred to as "history".

Some humor (political generally) is often time sensitive though. Blackadder is a bit funnier when you get the references for example or why sometimes US/British humor falls flat in other markets as you do not get the jokes as they're referring to cultural tropes, people or places you have no idea about. In the Young Ones you may not recognize half the bands that make a guest appearance. Bottom has aged better because it is generally slapstick, crude and violent. Young ones is kinda out there and TNS is kind of clever.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Some humor (political generally) is often time sensitive though. Blackadder is a bit funnier when you get the references for example or why sometimes US/British humor falls flat in other markets as you do not get the jokes as they're referring to cultural tropes, people or places you have no idea about. In the Young Ones you may not recognize half the bands that make a guest appearance. Bottom has aged better because it is generally slapstick, crude and violent. Young ones is kinda out there and TNS is kind of clever.

What's that saying?

Those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to miss out on really funny re-runs. ;)

Anyway, one of the great things about being raised in Oz - and, no doubt, other places - is that we got all the British comedy - Not the Nine O'Clock News et al - and most of the really good US stuff as well. And some of our own blokes were pretty funny: Paul Hogan pre-Crocodile Dundee did some of the funniest sketch comedy ever seen on TV.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer

What's that saying?

Those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to miss out on really funny re-runs. ;)

Anyway, one of the great things about being raised in Oz - and, no doubt, other places - is that we got all the British comedy - Not the Nine O'Clock News et al - and most of the really good US stuff as well. And some of our own blokes were pretty funny: Paul Hogan pre-Crocodile Dundee did some of the funniest sketch comedy ever seen on TV.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I may have to pull the Vyv costume I put together out for Halloween this year. Unfortunately I have to go as "House Party Vyv" after he drinks the blue liquid that makes all his hair fall out. :(

Zardnaar

Legend
What's that saying?

Yeah in NZ here. Grew up on Bottom, Blackadder, New Statesman etc.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I may have to pull the Vyv costume I put together out for Halloween this year. Unfortunately I have to go as "House Party Vyv" after he drinks the blue liquid that makes all his hair fall out. :(

I rather liked headless Vyv after the train took his head off and his body kept kicking it down the tracks.

Do you have a costume for that? :D

Remove ads