• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Themed Characters

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am always looking for interesting ways to provide players with options while encouraging them to do more than just hunt for broken combinations. I like the fact that other rulebooks add flavor to the game, but if I let my players access them all, it becomes often overwhelming, and always leads to powergaming as the players rush to find the most broken combos (it's natural; I'm not saying it's wrong, just not what I go for when running a game). So I came up with the idea of allowing "Themed Characters." These are characters that go for a particular theme or style. The player is allowed access to the core rules and the PH2, plus 1-3 other supplements that focus on a single theme. Not all themes are designed with balance in mind. Preserving flavor is the primary objective. It is unfortunate I don't have more sources to make a divine theme. Here is my list of themes.

Arcane Theme: You may use Complete Arcane, Complete Magic, and Tome of Magic to build your character.
Dark Theme: You may use Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Fiendish Codex I, and Fiendish Codex II to build your character.
Delver Theme: You may use Dungeonscape to build your character.
Desert Theme: You may use Sandstorm to build your character.
Divine Theme: You may use Complete Divine to build your character.
Draconic Theme: You may use the Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, and Dragon Magic to build your character.
Exalted Theme: You may use the Book of Exalted Deeds to build your character.
Frostfell Theme: You may use Frostburn to build your character. You have no action points.
Incarnum Theme: You may use Magic of Incarnum to build your character.
Nautical Theme: You may use Stormwrack to build your character.
Psionic Theme: You may use the Expanded Psionics Handbook and Complete Psionic to build your character.
Scoundrel Theme: You may use Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel to build your character.
Urban Theme: You may use Cityscape to build your character.
Vile Theme: You may use the Book of Vile Darkness to build your character.
Warrior Theme: You may use the Complete Warrior, Heroes of Battle, and Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords to build your character.

awayfarer

First Post
Interesting. I think Complete Adventurer would fit the delver theme pretty well. The bulk of the classes in that book are oriented towards characters with diverse skills sets and of coruse, theres the Dungeon Delver PrC.

smootrk

First Post
I think you will run into problems as each player will likely find that one thematic option located in a book that is not on their personal list of sources. For instance, nearly every single book has something to offer a mage (a feat, a spell, etc.), or for a warrior type (again feats). I love a character (with a player) who stays true to a given theme, regardless of other options that may be more powerful, but any 'munchkinizing players' will always rationalize their choices.

You are trying to foster a certain play-style choice, when individual players don't 'get' or necessarily 'want' that style. Additionally, any player with a short list may be put off because the Draconic or Dark themed character has several books to cherry pick through.

Again, I think the general concept of trying to encourage themed characters is wonderful, but I just don't think imposing limits helps encourage anything - but I am not saying that completely open season on books helps either. In fact, it probably fosters cherry picking for those players with personality types that want to powergame. Thus, as I see it, the problem lies not in the books, but in the personality types who are playing the game.

I have a different style of DMing. If a player goes out and supports the hobby (and FLGS) then I tend to say 'great... lets see how we can fit this in'. Maybe not the best style for maintaining a campaign theme, but it seems to work well in the interpersonal arena.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
smootrk said:
I think you will run into problems as each player will likely find that one thematic option located in a book that is not on their personal list of sources.

The only times players ever want to do this it has nothing to do with theme and everything to do with power. I would tell them tough luck and to pick a similar item in one of their theme sources. There are enough options they would be able to find one. It might not be as powerful, but that is part of the point. I want to play a roleplaying game, not a tacsim. There are video games for that. If they want a thematic element to their character, they should pick it for thematics, not for power.

smootrk said:
Again, I think the general concept of trying to encourage themed characters is wonderful, but I just don't think imposing limits helps encourage anything - but I am not saying that completely open season on books helps either.

Exactly, it isn't realistic. Every good DM has limits. And I like coming up with simple ways to deal with things regarding character options rather than having to deal with each one every time it comes up.

Abisashi

First Post
Seems reasonable. If someone finds a feat that really fits thematically but is not in one of their books, you are the DM and can always OK it.

If you are trying to keep down the crazy source mixing, you could always just specify a maximum number of source books.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Ever watch Jurassic Park?

If you have munchkins in your group then they'll find a way to be munchkins regardless of the source limitations. I'd have to agree with what Smootrk said.

I'd recommend instead limiting PRCs to 1 per PC and approving feats/spells individually (or just wait and see if they cause trouble in game) and if something seems broken after a fews sessions removing it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The easiest way to encourage "themed" PCs is to bribe your players.

I (and a couple of other DMs in my current group) have a policy: if, during PC generation, you present the DM with a good, interesting and coherent PC background, your PC will be rewarded. Rewards have included bonus starting cash, a minor magic item (like my +2 Flaming Whip), or even bonus feats or unusual class features that fit the concept.

Abusable? Sure- but so far, not a single "munchkin" has bothered presenting such a detailed background- they're too busy tweeking feats & stats to think about "theme & concept."

In HERO, I'd tell you to design "Package Deals"- a group of benefits and liabilities that thrust a PC in a certain direction, like "Elf" or "Private Eye." In other systems, you'd have Archetypes, not just as ideals to follow, but as actual frameworks for PC building.

In D20, you could offer, as we did, items, cash or innate improvements to the PC itself. Other options we've considered, but not used as yet, include contacts (personal or organizational), favors, or other rule bends in the PC's favor.

Last edited:

drexes

First Post
Meh.

You've basically come up with a grossly over simplified solution to a more complex problem. Munchkins can munchkin with just a PHB, lord knows we've all read posts about some broken combo from way back. The only thing new books have done is make new combos for brokenness (so not a word). But I must say, as a very anti-power-gamer myself, I would find the theme thing you put forth annoying. I would be more frustrated by that rulejust because of its implication that I must not be mature enough to handle making my leveling decsions character-based and need a DM instituted rule to govern me, beyond the Rule 0, which should be all you need. Second, thematically just because the title of the book fits the theme doesn't mean the contents do, or that they are limited to that type of character. Divine characters lose out on some (not many) divine feats from complete warrior, and not everything in a book in necessarily thematic which goes around your stated objective.

A good role-playing group has to have trust, because honestly it's alot like acting and if you want it to get REALLY good you have to put alot of yourself into a character. Arbitrary rules like "Bob can use this book but Steve can't, he can use this one," don't promote that level of trust, they hinder it. If you want your players to do less power-gaming and more thematic role-playing tell them and then help them make good decisions but don't try to mandate it. Any changes causes a level of resistance, forced and dictated change exacerbate the level of resistance.

Then when you have softly spoken of your desires for more thematic play, you review characters whenever they are levelled and if necessary you can question, ask explanation and if all else fails, gently invoke Rule 0.

Just what I thought, take it or leave it.
Drexes

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads