D&D General There seems to be three types of classes in DND.

Mephista

Adventurer
With everything else does it really need spells or skill bumps, though?
People have complained for how many years that the fighter has nothing to do out of combat? Now, we have Tactical Mind for Fighter and Primal Knowledge for Barbarian.

I'm afraid that, while a beast in combat, Monk will take Fighter's place as the only class at a loss of things to do outside of combat.

I don't think I'm crazy for wanting out of combat monk stuff on top of good in combat stuff.

Clint_L

Hero
People have complained for how many years that the fighter has nothing to do out of combat? Now, we have Tactical Mind for Fighter and Primal Knowledge for Barbarian.

I'm afraid that, while a beast in combat, Monk will take Fighter's place as the only class at a loss of things to do outside of combat.

I don't think I'm crazy for wanting out of combat monk stuff on top of good in combat stuff.
I'm play testing one now, and the big difference between a monk and fighter or barbarian is that monk has dexterity and wisdom as their main stats. So there's lots for my monk to do outside of combat - she has high stealth and perception plus incredible mobility, so she's a superlative scout, for example. Her high insight makes her great at reading people. My Mercy monk can also be the secondary healer. She won't ever be the face of brains of the party, but that's why you need a variety of classes.

Fighter and barbarian are shackled to strength and constitution, mostly (dex for some fighters). That doesn't really help them a ton on skill checks. So they really needed a boost to their out of combat options.

Mephista

Adventurer
and if we made a pure martial monk it would be the weakest class in the game as that just does not work in an area of plate steel and fire-breathing lizards.
Some people call half-casters like the ranger and pally martial, after all. I don't know what definition you're using, but maybe don't force it on others and act condensending when someone doesn't? Just a thought.

Remove ads