D&D General There seems to be three types of classes in DND.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
classes built to have many ideas in them with wide possible implementation.

classes that are more limited in scope but need a full class budget to work like paladins.

classes that rationally should be subclasses of something but no one seems to know what? whatever we have decided ranger is.

I feel this would more accurately help class design if not every class tried to have endless subclasses and knowing where an idea needs a new full class to best implement it.

In the latest playtest they present Four class "Groups": Warrior, Mage, Priest, and Expert.
I don’t know if it’s going to be official any day. But you can build subclasses based on these groups to allow a range of style.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
if we use the 4 core Classes ( from Ad&d 2nd ed ) ,
we could happen to 3 duos of a two-core Class combo , like in

Warrior + Wizard opposed to Rogue + Priest
Warrior + Priest opposed to Rogue + Wizard
Warrior + Rogue opposed to Wizard + Priest

( then you can rename each of two-core in a unique Class like in Warrior + Priest = Paladin or so )

:)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Classes with a broad concept which can have many variable subclasses.

Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Sorcerer are broad ideas which can go it drastically different directions.
classes that are more limited in scope but need a full class budget to work like paladins.
Classes with a narrow but complex concept which are too powerful or complex to pare down into a subclass of another class.

Barbarian, Bard, Paladin, Druid, and even Wizard are narrow concepts with core features too powerful to stick in another class.
classes that rationally should be subclasses of something but no one seems to know what? whatever we have decided ranger is.
Sublcasses of various abilities but following similar themes put together under a mother class.

Ranger and Warlock are most subclasses first. They are classed by theme to allow for printing without "class bloat" and disagreement of where they'd go if "unclassed". You can easily make each subclass into a class

I don't know where Monk fits

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
if we use the 4 core Classes ( from Ad&d 2nd ed ) ,
we could happen to 3 duos of a two-core Class combo , like in

Warrior + Wizard opposed to Rogue + Priest
Warrior + Priest opposed to Rogue + Wizard
Warrior + Rogue opposed to Wizard + Priest

( then you can rename each of two-core in a unique Class like in Warrior + Priest = Paladin or so )

:)
You actually can't d this without killing the feature each combination is known for OR making the parent classes broken.

AKA "You can't give Clerics Divine Smite. It's too powerful in the hands of a full caster"

ezo

I cast invisibility
There are just three type of classes:

Expert = I solve things by ingenuity and skill
Spellcaster = I solve things by magic (sometimes conflictual ;) )
Warrior = I solve things by physical conflict

Every class is basically a subclass of those three.

EDIT: You can multiclass them to create the "four" other combinations:

Expert/Spellcaster
Spellcaster/Warrior
Expert/ Warrior
Expert/Spellcaster/Warrior

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Classes with a broad concept which can have many variable subclasses.

Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Sorcerer are broad ideas which can go it drastically different directions.

Classes with a narrow but complex concept which are too powerful or complex to pare down into a subclass of another class.

Barbarian, Bard, Paladin, Druid, and even Wizard are narrow concepts with core features too powerful to stick in another class.

Sublcasses of various abilities but following similar themes put together under a mother class.

Ranger and Warlock are most subclasses first. They are classed by theme to allow for printing without "class bloat" and disagreement of where they'd go if "unclassed". You can easily make each subclass into a class

I don't know where Monk fits
monk is its own class whether it is first or second is hard to say as it has always been done badly
druid should be a subclass of a presently non-existent class as giving any abilities on top of wild shape and full spell casting is insane, it would be the wild-shaped themed subclass.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.

I feel this would more accurately help class design if not every class tried to have endless subclasses and knowing where an idea needs a new full class to best implement it.
i'd say the first two are more or less correct but that third category i'd say is instead just subjective of your personal opinions, what i'd would personally classify as the three categories are:

classes with a generic mechanical/conceptual base that use subclasses to explore a wide array of themes
- fighter, rogue, wizard, sorcerer, artificer

classes with a solid idea of the base concept that use subclasses to explore specific niches or themes within that concept
- cleric, druid, ranger, barbarian, bard,

classes that have a specific concept that want the mechanical space to properly explore it
- paladin, warlock, monk

or to put it another way 'where the themes are in the subclasses', 'where the theme is in the baseclass' and 'where the theme is in the mechanics', there is some overlap but this is where i'd say they most fall.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Yes, though I would personally subdivide these into "classes that have a core theme, that can be expressed many ways" vs "classes that do not have a core theme, or fail to actually support the core theme they're supposed to have."

Fighter fits into the former group. There are lots of ways to be a warrior of grit and thews, but ultimately they're all going to be doing similar things. Wizard is in the latter group. It either straight-up doesn't have a core theme ("problem-solver" is NOT a core theme, sorry!), or it does but does absolutely nothing to actually support it (academician unlocking magical secrets through research and development.)

Which is where most classes should be, albeit without too many limits on scope. As folks around here have, at times, been so fond of saying: limitations breed creativity. Of course, the better version of that phrase is that good limitations breed creativity, because not all limitations are created equal. A well-designed class has good limits on its scope, which spur on creativity in gameplay expression, rather than curtailing it.

Ooh, now here we have the spicy take. Because it seems to me that this group is purely arbitrary, merely a function of each individual player's sentiment.

That's one of the (several) reasons why I'm pretty opposed to class reductionism. I don't find that reductionism actually provides that much in the way of benefit--particularly when D&D is so ridiculously profligate with other areas of its ruleset, like the spell list--but it quite clearly has serious costs.

To trot out another cliche phrase, people like to say "less is more," but what they mean is "if you can get equivalent results with fewer tools, use fewer tools." You have to give up less than you're getting. Otherwise, less is in fact less.

100% absolutely yes. The problem is, as I've argued elsewhere, when you do this, you're going to find that D&D is already short about 5 new classes, and could need as many as eleven (with a very generously-cast net). Probably somewhere between 5 and 9, depending who specifically you ask.

E.g. three shoe-in class concepts that have strong thematic expression but which have, to one degree or another, been called out quite frequently as not getting enough via subclasses: Warlord, Swordmage, and Psion. We've all seen more than a few people call for each of those, I'm sure.

Remove ads