D&D (2024) How should a Summoner/Pet Class be implemented in 1DnD?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm actually leaning towards the Summoner not having spells at all, or the equivalent of the new Warlock's Mystic Arcanum. If we are giving them a pet that is the bulk of the class's power, especially if it's at-will, then I'd start with very limited casting.

Or maybe the old Warlock's Pact Magic casting progression? Lol
I agree, let the summoned monster use its powers - afterall if you summon a dragon you effectively get fireball and flight for free. The idea of Pact Magic is good too but I’d make it clear that any Pact spell slots are used via the Summoned Creature not the PC.

I'm actually leaning towards the Summoner not having spells at all, or the equivalent of the new Warlock's Mystic Arcanum. If we are giving them a pet that is the bulk of the class's power, especially if it's at-will, then I'd start with very limited casting.

Or maybe the old Warlock's Pact Magic casting progression? Lol
If the summoner's only purpose is to give commands, I think I'd rather just cut out the middleman and play the summoned creature. "Dragon" sounds more fun than "guy who only talks to the dragon".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If the summoner's only purpose is to give commands, I think I'd rather just cut out the middleman and play the summoned creature. "Dragon" sounds more fun than "guy who only talks to the dragon".
Well yes Savage Species 5e would be awesome but it is a different discussion entirely. And a guy with a dragon friend is a classic trope

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oh sure, I just think the summoner should get stuff to do other than pass their action/butter.
They definitely should.

I think summons should have things that the summoner has to activate, like auras, and the summoner should be able to cast spells through it, with a spell list that is mostly close range cones, bursts, lines, etc.

The summoner could also be doing things to protect the team while the summon wrecks faces, or could even have “minor bindings” that let it call forth a spirit of air to knock enemies around every turn with concentration, stuff like that.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Tangent to the thread, but:

I think the 5E rules for pets and mounts (of any kind) need to be rewritten so that they are more useful across the board. And especially, I think they all should be decoupled from class. I don't think a character should need levels in a specific class or subclass just to be an experienced horseman, falconer, owlbear whisperer, or whatever.

(Okay, maybe the 'owlbear whisperer' is going too far. But still: IMO you shouldn't need to be a martial class to be a highly-skilled horseman, nor should you need to be a spellcaster to have a magical pet.)

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Tangent to the thread, but:

I think the 5E rules for pets and mounts (of any kind) need to be rewritten so that they are more useful across the board. And especially, I think they all should be decoupled from class. I don't think a character should need levels in a specific class or subclass just to be an experienced horseman, falconer, owlbear whisperer, or whatever.

(Okay, maybe the 'owlbear whisperer' is going too far. But still: IMO you shouldn't need to be a martial class to be a highly-skilled horseman, nor should you need to be a spellcaster to have a magical pet.)
You already don’t. Animal handling will get you most of what you want from being mounted, and there is a feat to specialize in it. Familiars can be earned during adventures, or you can pick up ritual caster and grab find familiar.

But I do think there should be subclasses to focus on these pets, and they should be complimentary to any feats or simple skill benefits, rather than obviating them.

doctorbadwolf

Eh, I'd still prefer a series of Feats, or maybe Background features at the most, to focus on those pets as you say. I don't like the idea of locking them behind certain classes and subclasses.
It’s only locked if that is the only way to get them.

A lot of folks want a lot more of thier focus to be on the pet than can be done with a feat.

Remove ads