D&D (2024) How should the Psion/Mystic be implemented in 1DnD?

Incenjucar

Legend
Listen to the fans of psionics rather than people like me who just want their soul knife back.

Make psionics its own thing: own powers, own classes, own item class. Not just knock off magic we're only grudgingly acknowledging to shut the fans up.
Yeah, letting something be defined by the folks who specifically are not on board with it is how ardlings became furries and then became deleted.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Some of us don't have DM's which will allow homebrew classes. And they don't work on DnD Beyond which many of us use.
If some of you really want to play with psionics that badly, some of you should find different DMs to play for. Ones that aren't scrooges like that. ;)

Or you just wait and wait and wait for WotC and then dislike what they ultimately give you. Whichever way works. :)

Same kind of pigeon-holing logic applied that made them increasingly uninteresting.
Main reason I didn't like them was they were trying to be the aasimar replacement and also a catch-all animal species. But in the feedback I didn't ask for them to be scrapped, I just wrote that they needed to find their own identity rather than scraping bits of identity off everyone else.

I also like the PHB being more 'vanilla' species, as it's really hard for DM's to ban PHB content. I already had issues with dragonborn for that reason.

Incenjucar

Legend
Main reason I didn't like them was they were trying to be the aasimar replacement and also a catch-all animal species. But in the feedback I didn't ask for them to be scrapped, I just wrote that they needed to find their own identity rather than scraping bits of identity off everyone else.

I also like the PHB being more 'vanilla' species, as it's really hard for DM's to ban PHB content. I already had issues with dragonborn for that reason.
And the same risk applies to psionics if it gets reduced to off-brand spellcasting instead of being its own thing.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
How about old school "non-lethal damage" that goes away on a short rest?
Sure that would be fine too. I don't mean for this to be some huge limitation or anything, it's mostly for thematics. I know, if you've read posts of mine, you know that I prefer a game to be balanced, but with this, if we can have psionics, all I care about is the visceral feeling that "oh man, I am tampering with forces beyond my ken". Like 2e Wild Mages with less wacky hijinks and more eldritch horror.

And the same risk applies to psionics if it gets reduced to off-brand spellcasting instead of being its own thing.
Now that WotC seems insistant on only three standardised spell lists/power sources, they have ensured that psionics can't be introduced as a caster.

Just throwing it into the game as an INT based full caster using the arcane spell list will be the biggest joke of an implementation of psionics yet.

Remove ads