D&D (2024) Would you be fine with classes that you can't always play but are better than base classes?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
'the masses'.

Okay.
Am I wrong? Is it not good to simplify a product (as everyone agrees 5E is the easiest to play/learn edition) to appeal to more people? Isn’t that one of the reasons 5E is the best selling edition ever that attracted new and old players?

See it all the time in video game remakes etc. The new Tomb Raider remaster is going to have modern controls and camera control to better appeal to modern gamers.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Am I wrong? Is it not good to simplify a product (as everyone agrees 5E is the easiest to play/learn edition) to appeal to more people? Isn’t that one of the reasons 5E is the best selling edition ever that attracted new and old players?

See it all the time in video game remakes etc. The new Tomb Raider remaster is going to have modern controls and camera control to better appeal to modern gamers.
I think you are wrong in assuming this is a simplification that would improve the game.

Yaarel

He Mage
I still play AD&D shrug
Some friends of mine also play AD&D. They call it First Edition, but really its a mish-mash of 1e, 2e, and homebrew. The player facing Players Handbook is still 1e, tho.

1e has its charms, and is historically important. It is a great resource to borrow from and to inspire content for later editions. (But we all know the issues of potential flavors that can come across as sexist or racist, and which are best to leave behind in the dust of history.)

Much of the difference between 4e and 5e is, keeping the understanding of game balance from 4e but reinventing the 1e narrative immersion and adhoc DM adjudication.

Remove ads