• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

There's Powerful Deviltry at Work Here...

Robert Ranting

First Post
Does anyone else feel that 4e may be putting too much of an emphasis on evil, even diabolical character options in the initial PHB? Tieflings, infernal-pact warlocks, clerics and even paladins of Asmodeus...it seems perfectly feasible to have an entire party composed of people who sold their souls to the powers of Hell. Sure, D&D has had evil parties before, but generally even evil PC clerics were just worshipping fictional villains like Vecna, not demons who some people genuinely believe exist(ed) like Asmodeus. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmodai )

D&D has had a long history of bad press and opposition from groups who associate the hobby with devil worship, and over the years, the brand has taken steps to distance itself from such accusations (such as by renaming things in 2nd Ed.). Now it seems to be moving in the other direction, and I'm afraid that this will only add fuel to the fires and bring about a renewed era of controversy. I live in an area with a fair number of such people, and in my experience, they have made it more difficult to recruit new players into the hobby, and have protested local libraries which promote fantasy gaming events, such as Magic tournaments or D&D games. While I don't agree with their interpretation of our hobby, putting warlocks, tieflings and the worship of Asmodeus into the PHB is ony going to give these people more ammunition for their attacks on the hobby and more directly, on myself and other gamers.

Real-world social dynamics aside, it also just seems that there is less of a balance between the forces of good and evil in 4e. The Points of Light setting makes it seem as if Good is losing. The presence of Tieflings without their Aasimar counterparts seems to suggest that being of demonic ancestry is more acceptable or desirable than being angelic. While Warlocks have been added to the roster of classes to represent the forces of darkness (because let's face it, baby-stealing fey aren't any more friendly than soul-eating demons from a Midieval European perspective...), Paladins have slipped from their high horse and are now available to all alignments, even Chaotic Evil. All of this in the midst of losing the middle ground...from what we can tell the forces of Neutrality and Nature are being marginalized or saved for a later book.

I always got the impression that D&D was supposed to at least make an attempt at heroic themes, of saving the world from the forces of darkness. The Point of Light idea even serves to emphasize the idea that the PCs are the only hope of good people in a world gone bad. Yet here our PCs deck themselves out in the accoutrements of devil worship and call upon the powers of hellfire...to help save peasant villages from trolls? Wait-a-minute, shouldn't these guys be the ones the PCs are killing, not the PCs themselves? I understand that there is more than one way to play the game, but IMHO there's a difference between a player deciding that he's going to use his roguish skills, strong sword-arm, or study of wizardry for evil, and a guy who only has powers *because* he made a pact with an evil entity or worships one.

I'll concede that evil games have their place, but I would much rather that such material be kept in the DMG, Monster Manual, or supplements like The Book of Vile Darkness or the Fiendish Codex I and II, rather than in the core PHB, the book which virtually every 4e player is going to need in order to play this game of ours.

I'm not going to condemn WotC for this choice, nor has it turned me against 4e, I'm just curious if anyone else is uncomfortable with this sort of thing.

Robert "Or Maybe I'm Just Sore Because There's No Druid, Bard, or Monk" Ranting

pogre

Legend
You are likely to get jumped for this opinion because of the backlash against the 2E moral standards that drove a lot of folks nuts. However, I totally understand where you are coming from - I share some of your concerns as a parent. It will not stop me from playing 4E, but it could be a lot less comfortable explaining the game to my pastor.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Robert Ranting said:
Tieflings, infernal-pact warlocks, clerics and even paladins of Asmodeus...it seems perfectly feasible to have an entire party composed of people who sold their souls to the powers of Hell.

Well, I don't think that's the point.

I suspect the tiefling is in as a more interesting replacement for the half-orc.

As far as clerics/paladins of Asmodeus, i don't think that they will be encouraged for PCs.

You are still supposed to be the good guys. The points of light setting makes the bad guys that much nastier... but the characters are supposed to overcome them.

3d6

Explorer
My understanding was that anti-D&D sentiment is mainly derived from the presence of magic rather than the presence of demons and devils and what-have-you. Dark Dungeons, the notorious anti-D&D tract by Jack Chick, focused on the presence of magic in the game, for example, with the DM offering to teach the player of the wizard "real magic". There has been similar backlash against the Harry Potter book series for the same reason. Given that most D&D classes are spellcasters, and there has been no recent anti-D&D sentiment, I think that anti-D&D feelings have largely been redirected towards more popular and visible manifestations of the occult in pop culture. Unless D&D is on the verge of mass popularity, there's no reason it would dislodge Harry Potter as the target of ire.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I don't think there will be any more emphasis on evil characters than there is with the current system. I think that the concepts of alignment and restrictions based upon it (eg, paladins) will be reduced as a precursor to dumping the entire system at a later date.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
::shrug::

If there's more evil in the world, it means more fodder for the good guys and a more heroic feeling when it's vanquished.

Better that than a setting where adventuring parties resemble vultures picking over the last remaining scraps of evil in a good-aligned world.

That said, I'm not at all sold on tieflings; I'll be interested to see how (or if) their power is reined in to make them playable at 1st (or even 0th) level.

Lanefan

Baron Opal

First Post
Right now, I don't have a problem with giving my six year old son a PHB or my copy of Arcana Evolved and having him just browse through it. (Although we did talk about the death ooze picture.) I hope that I have the same lack of conern with the next edition's PHB.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Along with these there are counterpoints for good:
Warlocks no longer have to make pacts with infernal powers...possibly good pacts with fey?
Eladrins to me are the counterpoint to tieflings at this stage.
And the points of darkness really push the point that heroes, GOOD heroes are needed more than every. I think this idea pushes for players to be good more than ever.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Externalized angst sells.

And IMHO, Tiefling Warlocks have a lot more interesting potential than Drow Rangers.

So I'm good with the proposed changes -- so long as it's just as easy to play a strong servant of Pelor as it is to play an equally puissant pawn of Asmodeus. If evil is just plain better (like it is in Magic of Incarnum, for example), then I'll have a problem.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads