• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

They came in search of Paradise (A Story of Erth) - Updated 23rd April

robberbaron

First Post
And the fun continues....

Helga wondered how many thieves there were likely to be in the sewers at the shift change. Gaelle reckoned two and was confident that she could handle them but Helga would have been happier with two of the party down beneath the manhole. The information they had implied that thieves would be moving both into and out of the sewer and that there might be more than two thieves around.
“Well, we’ll just kill them all”, said Gaelle.
“But if a big group, or some groups all turn up to go up the rope, you could find yourself at the bottom mixing it with twenty or thirty thieves, which is not a very sensible position for you to be in”, Helga put in, sincerely worried for Gaelle’s safety. “So there should be more than just you down below. Unfortunately, the little dark Halfling has gone missing as he would be the perfect choice”.

So it was decided that Helga would accompany Gaelle, leaving the two big, butch sword-swingers up top.
“Let’s face it, if twenty thieves turn up at the top and another twenty appear down below, we won’t be attacking them” Gaelle asserted.
“Yeah, you turn round and walk away” said Cord.
“Bit difficult in the sewer” put in a worried Helga.
“No, you just turn around and walk away. They are not expecting you to be there so they aren’t going to set traps for you” asserted Cord.
“We’ve already killed eight thieves in the sewers and I’m not expecting many more than that” Gaelle reassured Helga.

“Hey, if it’s just you and me” Cord grinned at Seigfried, “you won’t be able to hide at the back.”

Gaelle and Helga secreted themselves in the shadows around the intersection below Philp’s warehouse. The evening sun glancing off the glistening filth coating the sewer shaft gave considerable cover for anyone with the skill to use it. And Helga.

-----

Cord, Seigfried and Gracientus tucked themselves around a corner just up from the warehouse, hidden in the shadows with a good view of the street and the grating.

The few market stalls in this street had already closed, and there was significantly less traffic at this time of day. Seemed reasonable, if the shift-change was a regular occurrence.

An hour passed and the party were beginning to doubt their information when the warehouse door opened quietly, figures emerged and moved over to the grating. They counted six shifty-looking men scurrying across the road, looking alert. Gracientus prepared to Bless his companions when they decided to do something.
The thieves pulled the grille up and one tied a thick rope to it, dropping the rope down into the hole. Two thieves then held the grate away from the hole, two were looking around with readied crossbows and the other was looking down the hole, watching his mate climb down.

Gaelle and Helga, seeing the rope after an age of listening to the distant squeaking of rats, waited for someone to come down.
The first thief to scamper down the rope put his foot into the puddle at the bottom and was surprised as a by a black-fletched arrow whistling past his knee.
Gaelle’s next two arrows stuck out of his shoulders but he was still breathing.
Helga barely managed to shoot the ground between her feet, before dropping her bow and drawing her rapier.

The thief, not enjoying looking like a coat rack, moved to Gaelle and nicked her with his shortsword.

Gaelle stepped back and teased him with an arrow past his ears before hitting double-top between his eyes, dropping the thief into the dirty water like a dead thief.

In the street, Cord charged forward out of the gloom and only just managed to hit one of the thieves (slicing his arm and leg off) and then only just managed to cut his fellow thief clean in two as a bonus.

“Bloody hell” exclaimed the thieves, as their colleagues’ blood sprayed all over them, before charging into flanking positions against Cord, one planting his shortsword deep into the warrior’s thigh.

Seigfried followed up, running to help Gracientus who had just had a sword thrust into his belly.
Gracientus swung his Morningstar around semi-proficiently and stepped away from the thief, leaking red.

Cord carved one of the remaining thieves and injured the other. At least they couldn’t flank him now.
“Boss, boss! Help!” screamed the badly injured thief before stabbing Cord with what was likely to be his last strength.

The other followed Gracientus, slipping on the bloody street, straight into the swinging Fullblade of Seigfried. The street became considerably bloodier over a large area.

Gracientus looked around for any more incoming trouble while Cord and the remaining thief traded swishes before the thief cut himself in twain by tumbling away through Cord’s blade.

-----

Helga used the dead thief as a step onto the rope and began to climb the rope, while Gaelle moved across the chamber to have a look around, seeing nothing untoward. Helga managed to avoid the blood dripping down the shaft and reached the top just as Cord went over to Gracientus for some healing.
“I seem to have been let down in the planning, again!” he grumbled, making his displeasure at Seigfried’s ‘backup’ plain despite the language barrier.

Gaelle, upon arrival at the top, also asked for bandaging. When that seemed to do little good Gracientus called upon Set to knit her wounds.

They pulled up and untied the rope, tipped the bodies down the shaft and replaced the grille.

robberbaron

First Post
The party then moved over to the warehouse and listened at the door, despite the chance of a blade coming through it (brave lot, these. Actually, they didn’t think of it. Less brave more careless).
Helga could hear a weapon being not-quietly-enough drawn on the other side of the door.

Knowing that a foe awaited them, they paused to consider their options. Gaelle wondered how strong the door was while Cord stepped to the side of the door. The rest prepared missile weapons in a potential crossfire and Seigfried stepped back, sliding the door open.
Gaelle thought she could make out someone in cover beside the door and sent an arrow into the door roughly where the thief’s groin would have been, following it up with one a bit further away.

Helga cart wheeled expertly across the doorway, unfortunately not being able to see much within the warehouse as her vision blurred from the movement.

Seigfried stepped bravely through the doorway, shrugging off the spell that came at him out of the darkness, and swung close to the thief hiding behind the door.
The thief and his mate both then mugged him.

Gaelle attempted to get a better shot past the bulk of Seigfried, still not managing to strike true.
Helga cast a spell to enable her to run faster as a spell from the darkness failed to affect Gaelle.

Cord then stepped up and, unable to get a good attack, thrust his enormous weapon clean through the closed door, just failing to injure the very surprised thief on the other side.

Seigfried, in a fit of competence, carved down both of his attackers and stepped away from the doorway, to allow his companions to get in while two bowmen shot from gloomy cover. One arrow buried itself into Seigfried while there was a muffled “Bugger!” and a clatter of a dropped bow.

Gracientus, finally being able to see thieves, shot a bolt through the doorway and off into the darkness.
Gaelle stepped back out through the doorway and plugged a thief in the thigh.

Helga, trying to avoid the thieves’ weapons (unsuccessfully, but not too painfully) tumbled into the room, swinging her weapon around. A shudder ran through her as she shrugged off a spell.
Cord moved in and carved one thief down while Seigfried made no progress with his opponent.

The thieves closed in to flanking positions on Seigfried, and two arrows came whistling out of the gloom, one clipping Cord’s arm. A bolt from Gracientus finally found its mark, injuring Cord’s opponent further.
One of Gaelle’s arrows also found its mark, dropping a thief.

Helga tried to spot the bowmen and moved further into the room, up behind a packing crate, giving her some cover. Not enough cover, however, as an arrow came out of the darkness, skipped off the top of the crate and took her earlobe off.

Impetuously, Cord ran forward into the gloom along the wall, spotting the bowmen reloading behind some crates, one of which loosed an arrow in his general direction. The other took careful aim and plugged one into Helga, cowering behind her crate. This spurred her into action, charging forward toward the bowmen and leaping onto the crate in front of them, waggling her rapier menacingly at them.

Cord meanwhile felt his limbs shudder into stiffness. He had been held!

The bowmen, cowed by the large blonde on the crate in front of them both send their arrows up into the air, clattering off rafters before landing somewhere in the far corner of the building.

The inside of the warehouse, rather gloomy to begin with, was rapidly descending into complete darkness, prompting both Gracientus and Gaelle to light lanterns.

Helga stepped lithely along the line of crates and would have plunged her rapier into one of the bowmen had he not been dodging frantically. She spun round and pierced air as a previously unseen figure moved behind her and slashed across her belly, dropping her to the floor in a pool of her own blood, strangely mixed with a clear viscous jelly that oozed out of the wounds.

Both bowmen thanked their boss for his help and shot Cord, held rigid against the wall. Well, one of them did; the other was unsettled by the glistening pool surrounding Helga.
The situation became clearer as Gracientus shone his lantern across the warehouse and Gaelle worried the bowmen by shooting arrows into the crates.

Philp, brandishing two swortswords, stepped out of the light and out of sight.
Seigfried finally managed to kill his opponent, using the little-known “Death of a Thousand Cuts” Fullblade technique, while Gracientus and Gaelle pincushioned one of the bowmen. Helga came round but could not bring herself to do anything, not even look around.

Seigfried, buoyed by his success decided to charge across the warehouse and push one of the crates back into the remaining bowmen, startling him so much that he cracked his bow on the crate before dropping it at his feet.
Gaelle’s next shot clipped Seigfried’s shoulder before burying itself in the crate as an arrow came out of the darkness, heading in her general direction.
Seigfried unsuccessfully pushed against the crate then hopped up on to it, just in time to get out of the way of Gaelle’s arrows, one of which nicked the thief’s neck.
He then, after taking a shortsword thrust in the thigh, cut the thief’s head of with a flourish.

All the visible enemies eliminated, Gaelle opened up her lantern and ran across into the darkness, trying to spot Philp, while Helga crawled into deeper cover and Cord began to feel his limbs unfreezing.
Gracientus went across to the held warrior to tend to his injuries.

Unable to spot the badly injured Helga, Seigfried called upon the grace of Forseti, “Justice be served!”, closing several of his minor wounds.

Gaelle took a second, more careful, look around and managed to spot Philp behind a couple of crates, just as he swigged a potion and disappeared. She could hear Cord groaning as his limbs unfroze, before Gracientus’ healing took effect.

Li Kung, having been delayed with monky affairs, took this opportunity to arrive through the door of the warehouse.

By the light of Gaelle’s lantern, a closed door was visible in the far corner of the warehouse, to which Li Kung ran in order to waylay anyone attempting to exit. Cord, his wounds partly healed, staggered to the main door. Gracientus attempted to apply a bandage to Helga’s wounds, but was unable to see them due to the plasm which was glistening all over her skin. He was also hampered by Helga peering into the rafters trying to see any other route of egress for the bad guy.

Gaelle and Li Kung stood very still, trying to locate the invisible Philp. Gaelle spotted a distortion on the air, but couldn’t quite make out the shape.

Philp, realising he had been rumbled, quaffed another potion in preparation for the inevitable fight, then moved quietly across the warehouse. Not quite quietly enough though, as Li Kung could hear his footsteps and charged across to where he thought Philp was and swished his glaive around.
Assuming that Li Kung was on to something, Gaelle launched two arrows into his area of attention, one of them hitting an invisible foe (grazing him across his brow) before Philp took a step forward and thrust his secondary shortsword into Li Kung’s side.

Now with a visible foe, Cord charged across the warehouse and swingng his enormous weapon at Philp, glancing a blow off his armour. Seigfried did likewise, opening up a large rent in Philp’s chest.
Li Kung, briefly considering grappling before realising what would happen if he got in the way of the two fullblades swinging around, decided to step back and cut Philp down with his glaive.

The fight over, Gracientus stabilised Philp after which they tied him to a chair and waited for sunset, when Gracientus could implore Almighty Set for some healing spells, to bring Philp round so they could pump him for information.

robberbaron

First Post
Philp, while unconscious, had his magic items detected. His armour, one of his shortswords, a potion and a wand were liberated and distributed. They surmised, after a lengthy discussion, that the wand might well be one of paralysation, considering Cord’s statue-like appearance during the fight so only Gracientus could use it.
Li Kung, bemoaning the fact that he had not gained any booty as yet, claimed the unknown (though identified as conjuration magic) potion.

When Gracientus had completed his supplications, Gaelle searched the warehouse and kept an eye out. She didn’t want anything to do with Philp’s interrogation and there were more than enough evil bastards to get any information he might have.

Li Kung, feeling the need to do a bit of dominating, decided to kick off the questioning.
“What does the wand do?”
Philp was not in the least impressed with his manner and kept his lips firmly shut.
Li Kung then brandished his glaive and, with no warning, struck off Philp’s left hand.
Unsurprisingly, Philp re-lost consciousness.

Gracientus deftly bandaged the stump and slapped a medpatch, sorry wrong game, cast another healing spell on Philp to bring him round again.

“Bloody hell!” exclaimed a groggy Philp, not expecting to still be alive.

“OK, Stumpy” sneered Li Kung, “let’s try this again. What does the wand do?”
“It’s a Wand of Hold Person” Philp answered, doing a fantastic impression of a broken man.
“The potion?”
“Cure. Didn’t get a chance to use it”
“That was tough for you”. Li Kung was really beginning to empathise with Philp.
“Yeah, apparently. My bloody hand!”
“Do you have any good reasons why we should keep you alive?” (That’s about as nasty a question as “Why do you want the job?”)
“Have you got any information that would make it worth our while to keep you alive?” chipped in Cord.
“That’s what I meant to ask.” sighed Li Kung.

After a short pause, a psychologically recovering Philp asked “What are you after?”

“Does the Hark mean anything to you?” Li Kung asked, with Helga looking mad and mean beside him (helping with the intimidation) and Cord leering over his shoulder (not). Strangely, Seigfried’s pious presence is more effective than the both of them put together.
“What happened to his hand?” asked Seigfried, who hadn’t actually been paying attention up to this point.
“Er, it just fell off” joked Cord.
Seigfried didn’t believe this, even he isn’t that gullible, and determined to pay closer attention to the questioning to ensure that no more bits of Philp ‘fell off’.
“When did that happen?”
“While you were looking the other way” answered Cord.

“I’ll tell you everything I know if you’ll let me go” offered Philp, warily eyeing up Li Kung and his blood-stained glaive. His blood!
Li Kung decided to go with honesty. “We’ve got no honour, so we could easily say yes”
“Hmm.” thought Philp, “I’m a pretty shrewd judge of character. You don’t get to my position (ha ha) by not knowing when some untrustworthy bastard actually WILL stab you in the back.
If you swear that you’ll let me go after I’ve told you everything, and I believe you, you’ll never see me again. I’ll be out of this town tonight”
“But then you’d run straight to the Hark to warn him” chimed in Helga, her brow furrowed with concentration.
“Why in all the Hells would I do that? I’ve dobbed him in to you, why would I run to him? I’m more scared of him than I am of you. You’re all just complete bastards”
“That’s not true!” interjected an outraged Seigfried.
“But the Hark would kill me and eat me, only not in that order” continued Philp.
“You’re also not much use to the Hark now, anyway” said Cord, rubbing verbal salt into the bloody stump.
The more perceptive members of the group could tell that Philp was being completely honest with them. Even Seigfried knew that, whatever Philp had said, it was the complete truth and though Seigfried wanted to turn this high-ranking thief into the authorities, he was willing to entertain the idea of a “plea bargain”.
The greater justice of ridding Starros of the Hark would be served.

The truth was something they weren’t used to among themselves so it came as even more of a surprise coming from the maimed thief.
Li Kung had another nasty idea, “How about if you don’t tell us everything we’ll cut off your other hand, and your feet and attach a notice on what is left saying that you sold the Hark out to us?”
“Hang on. We don’t have an issue with letting him go, as long as he keeps going.” interceded Cord. “Saying we’ll kill him one way isn’t much more of a threat that just chopping his head off”.

There was a mumbled general agreement on this point and the group of evil bastards untied Philp’s hand as a show of good faith.

As they conceded that they would actually let him go in return for information, Philp relaxed visibly – he believed them and felt able to consider his new life away from Starros.

Philp sang like a one-winged bird.

He drew them a rough sketch of the parts of the burrow he had seen, and noted the defences about which he knew. Luckily, he was right-handed.
The Hark had a “burrow” beyond the north end of the harbour, beneath the boardwalk just above the high-water line, with its entrance hidden inside a warehouse marked with a particular Cant sign (a series of scratches that were designed to mimic wear and tear damage).
The Hark had lots of little rats that could be passed safely and quietly using the coriander root, plenty of dire rats, at least a dozen hobgoblins (which lived in the upper level) and a number of goblins. The Hark was a hobgoblin himself and lived in the upper level of the burrow, though Philp had never been up there).
He had some sort of fungus-thing and a rat swarm that made Philp want to puke just looking at them, as well as a very deep pit down which his companion fell, “I lost count of the seconds he was screaming”.

The interrogation continued after the party had a chance to peruse the map.

“How big is the Hark’s organisation?”
“Not much left now. Only what he’s got with him and a few lads who you didn’t catch.”

“Is there anyone left as good as you?”
“Only the Hark”
“What about as good as them?” Li Kung pointed at the other bodies.
“Well, I assume you WERE the ones who took out the other warehouse.” The characters nod.
“There are a few left in the sewers, but they are only about as good as my lads were. I reckon they’ll be running by now. Or crapping themselves in a corner somewhere. The Hobgobbos are quite tough.”

“Has he got any wizards or clerics with him?”
“Not that I know of. I heard a rumour that he could use magic, but I don’t know for sure”

“Hang on a minute,” said Helga, putting together the threads of doubt that had been nagging in her blonde head for the last few minutes, “the Hark is a hobgoblin wererat? The picture we had was of a human.”
“Typical lazy attitude to the law.” piped up Gracientus. ”They simply assumed that the Hark was human.”
“So, when that Uruk arrives back in Byzantium with the head of a human, they might just hand over the money?” Helga was a little worried about this, despite it not being her bounty to worry about.
“With a bounty of that size, 1000GP, they are likely to check before they pay out,” reasoned Cord, “then they’ll arrest him for murder and fraud”

It was now approaching midnight and they were beginning to feel the effects of a long day filled with sporadic violence, so decided to rest for a few hours before going on to tackle the Hark. Philp was nodding off as well, though his weariness was compounded by multiple blood loss.
They left Philp tied up while they rested, but promised to let him go when they left in the morning.
Helga decided to do a little more looting before settling down and discovered that all of Philp’s men had masterwork studded leather armour. They might be a little tight on the girls (Helga is blonde and has a “lot of Charisma”), but she and Gaelle were willing to put up with a little discomfort. And Helga liked the studs.

Li Kung, who was poring over Philp’s map of the burrow had a furrowed brow. “Why would anyone want to go over the pit trap and past the fungus when you can get to the upper level this way (pointing to a clear route to the ladder up)?”
No-one had a good answer, so they rested and considered their next moves.

robberbaron

First Post
The sun rose and Seigfried knelt to pray to Forseti, being pleasantly surprised when he was granted a spell.
Li Kung was surprised. “He looks like he is praying. Does he have a god?”
“Dunno,” said Helga, “I like him but I’m not THAT interested.”

They discussed what magic Gracientus should pray for, forgetting that he prayed at sunset, not sunrise, so he had only the spells left from the previous day. They also considered what they knew of lycanthropes – only that it is a disease which is passed on through the creature’s bite. They thought they could remember something about belladonna helping, but that it was also highly poisonous.
Li Kung looked jealously at Seigfried and Cord’s fullblades and wondered if he could find a larger glaive, a fullglaive, perhaps. It would seem that all his ascetic training had not remove the potential for weapon envy.
He also thought about taking belladonna as a preventive measure against the Hark’s bite, but decided that it would be pretty good to be a wererat monk – they are fast and resistant to normal weapons. Hmm.

In the early morning, they untied Philp and set off to get the correct head for their bounty, after Li Kung asked him when he was next expected to report to the Hark.
“Later today, by which time I will be long gone and he will, hopefully, be dead”

On their way to the north of the harbour, they dropped a note into the watchhouse, explaining where they were going, how to get in and asking for backup around midday.
Finding the warehouse easily, they saw that the dock was pretty quiet here where few ships berthed, especially compared to the bustle of the more southerly wharves, and did not think anyone was paying particular attention to them. In fact the workers around were making quite sure that they weren’t paying attention to them.

Helga quickly picked the lock on the warehouse door, then looked for, but didn’t find, any traps.
She then opened the door, revealing a small store, completely empty.
Gaelle had a nose around for tracks, finding a very faint human trail going to the right of the door then disappearing. Li Kung looked around for spyholes in the warehouse walls, finding none, while Helga easily discovered the well-hidden trapdoor and its disguised catch.
Opening the trapdoor, they could see a ladder leading down through a wooden shaft which opened out on to the rock of the harbour wall. When they moved down it they realised that the decrepit looking ladder was actually very well cared for.
Li Kung scrambled down the rock face, looking for the Cant sign which would mark the Hark’s lair.
Finding it, he secured himself to the wall and prepared to kick anyone or anything coming out of the entrance. The entrance looked like a crack in the rock face but closer examination showed that there was a thin spur of rock set some 4’ out from the face.

Gaelle crept and Li Kung clumped into the passage, Gaelle pausing at the threshold to listen but only hearing Li Kung’s breathing. The rest of the party followed up, forming a single file in the hidden passage, and then shuffled around each other until their order was satisfactory.

Gaelle padded down the passage towards the deep blackness of the lair, hearing faint squeaking of small rats before moving back and gesturing for Seigfried and the others to follow. Moving back to the front, Gaelle uncovered her lantern, scattering several small rats, and waved Seigfried forward with Li Kung also moving past her in to the first chamber. They were making quite a lot of noise, but the lantern light would probably have given away their presence before their footsteps did.
Realising this, they charged into the next room, where they expected some goblins. When the rest had passed, Helga began laying combustible material in the passage behind them and setting it alight.

The goblins, having seen their light, but only having heard Seigfried’s clumsy approach, lobbed javelins at him as he came out of the passage. Two small sharp sticks nicked his flesh, the rest rattling harmlessly against his armour and the wall.

The goblins then grabbed their little maces and charged in, four of them being chopped up by Li Kung before they even finished their battle-cry, “Aaargh…!”

Six seconds later the goblins were dead, Cord was running up the ladder to the upper level and Helga was wondering where they had all gone.

Cord’s lantern illuminated part of a large cavern and he stepped purposefully towards it. Suddenly, a fusillade of darts whistled out of the darkness, sticking in his side. After his next step a second whistling cloud of darts were also sticking in him. Li Kung tumbled nimbly over the two traps but Gaelle, trying to emulate the monk, hit one of the pressure pads and received her own clump of darts in the cheek.
Seigfried, without room for a run up, attempted to standing jump the 10’ of trapped passage, just clearing the second pad thanks to his newly liberated masterwork armour.
Gracientus was not so lucky. He landed square in the middle of the trap, straddling both pads, getting badly punctured before staggering out into the cavern.
Helga, just arriving at the top of the ladder, would have run straight into the trap, had she not heard their shouted warning. Her tumble was at least as impressive as Li Kung’s.

Three passages led off the cavern and Gaelle moved to the furthest one to look for tracks, finding hobgoblin spoor less than thirty minutes old. They could all hear movement in the passages so they prepared to run in, thinking to surprise the hobgoblins with their bravery. The hobgoblins, however, charged out to meet them.

Seigfried moved into the central passage and cut the first hobgoblin in two. Li Kung moved to the furthest passage and engaged the hobgoblins there. Cord followed the monk and carved his first opponent with contemptuous ease.
Gracientus took the opportunity to Bless his companions as Gaelle stuck an arrow in one of their foes.

Then the hobgoblins charged in, taking wounds from Helga’s longspear and getting chopped up by Li Kung’s glaive and Cord’s fullblade.

Seigfried caught a spurt of hot, caustic hobgoblin blood in his eyes, obscuring his vision and causing him to swing more wildly than normal. Li Kung, in his haste to kill more enemies but miss Cord, dragged his glaive across the wall putting a nasty looking notch in the blade and cracking the shaft.
Cord cut only air then stepped back to allow more of the hobgoblins out.

The hobgoblins advanced, one more falling to Li Kung’s battered glaive before getting into sword range and taking a piece out of Cord. Gaelle continued to take step back and kill hobgoblins with her arrows. Seigfried stepped back and wiped his eyes while he had no opponents.

As the last of the hobgoblins in the cavern fell, a blazing ball of flame blossomed among the party, singeing Gracientus into unconsciousness and lightly toasting everyone else except a smug Li Kung.

Seigfried stepped up to the remaining hobgoblins in the passage in front of him and Li Kung ran into the passage where he thought the Hark must be. Guessing correctly, he rushed up and carved a thin score in the hide of the beast before him.
Seven feet tall, heavily muscled, covered in wiry hair and with a large snout full of pointy teeth, the Hark was as horrible as he had been described.
Cord moved past Li Kung, putting himself in front of the Hark, receiving a claw across the chest and a bite to the shoulder for his bravery.

Gaelle, not being able to get a bead on the Hark, shot past Seigfried, taking out his foe and freeing the Germanian warrior to run around behind the Hark.
Helga, meanwhile, managed to bandage enough of Gracientus’ suppurating wounds to keep him from dying.

Li Kung dropped his glaive and attempted to tumble past Cord and around the Hark, bouncing off Cord’s back and falling flat on his backside with a claw slash across his cheek. He then sprang nimbly to his feet hoping no-one had seen him.

The Hark stepped away from Cord and unleashed a fan of flame from his fingertips, lightly singeing Cord who was wondering whether or not to fall over. Gaelle ran clear past Seigfried, but could not get a shot at the Hark. Helga also moved in as Seigfried stepped behind the Hark and stuffed his silvered longsword deep into the wererat’s side. Li Kung moved past Cord and tried to grapple the Hark, unable to get a good grip on his blood-slicked hide. Cord, unable now to get to the Hark, walked back out of the passage, picked up Gracientus and moved him out of the cavern, just in case there were anymore painful surprises.

The Hark, unhappy with the burning wound from the silver sword turned his attention on Seigfried but was unable to make contact. Gaelle again attempted to shoot past Seigfried, but her arrow was deflected away by the floor. Helga, however, scored a hit by firing a magic missile into the beast.
Seigfried, calling upon the holy power of Forseti, again stuck his silver sword into the Hark, just managing to remove it before Li Kung’s next unsuccessful grapple.

A spark of inspiration: Li Kung shouted “Helga, use the bloody wand!”
“I haven’t got the wand!”
“He doesn’t know that!”

The Hark continued to flail at Seigfried, managing to slash him across the thigh and bite his arm, as Gaelle’s next arrow missed him by less than the last and another magic missile hit his back.

The paladin, nearly out of blood, called upon his god for healing lest he fall over and dishonour himself. Just in time, as both the Hark’s claws slashed Seigfried’s body and those nasty jaws took a chunk out of his neck.
Li Kung failed to grab the Hark, again, and stepped away, hoping that Cord would move back in front of him. Gaelle’s next arrow careened along the passage, missing everyone in it, before nearly taking the returning Cord’s eye out.

The now goth-pale Seigfried swung wildly and Li Kung picked up his glaive and waved it at the Hark.
Seeing his opening, and wanting to get where Gaelle’s arrows couldn’t possibly hit him (in front of her), Cord moved past Li Kung and stuffed his sword through the Hark’s heart.

Seigfried offered thanks to Forseti for their victory while Li Kung applied his potion of healing to Gracientus, bringing him wide awake and nearly fully restored.
Cord was healed and Gaelle struck the Hark’s head off as Seigfried went to reclaim his unfeasibly large weapon.

robberbaron

First Post
Frisking the Hark’s body they discovered a potion and a pair of large, ornate bracers which Li Kung tried on for size after washing them thoroughly. He struck a few martial poses and did some defensive moves but couldn’t decide if they made any difference to his combat ability.
“Do you want us to try hitting you” asked Gaelle helpfully.

Searching the chamber beyond they found a large bag containing several hundred gold coins – not much treasure for a supposedly successful crime lord – but Helga managed to discover a very well hidden door.

They discussed going back to deal with the dire rats and the unidentified fungus, but didn’t think it was worth the trouble at that time.

Opening the secret door, they saw a dank-smelling tunnel, leading down into the earth.
Helga led the way, with a lantern held up in front of her.

After descending for some distance, the tunnel turned until they reckoned it was heading out under the sea.
Cord wondered if there was an island out there where the Hark had his real base.
Gaelle found the Hark’s tracks, returning from further down the tunnel, and continued on into the darkness.

After half an hour of walking they entered a “man”-made cavern with a small shrine to some rat god. The rest of the group searched the cavern while Seigfried defaced the shrine and smashed a statue of a “man-rat”.

Further on, the tunnel began to descend more steeply and twisted and turned until they thought they were several hundred feet below ground level, heading back toward land.

Helga, being alert, noticed that two of the steps in front of them were greased; an obvious trap which was easily avoided.

After they had been in the tunnel for an hour and a half, the atmosphere began to change from dank and musty to unpleasantly metallic and the tunnel began to turn in a wide spiral, which they followed for another hour. The tunnel surface suddenly changed from rough and possibly natural to wider and very well worked and somewhat shallower angled. Every fifty yards on either side of the corridor was an alcove, large enough for someone to stand in, perhaps meant for a statue or guard.

It was now approaching midday and they had travelled several miles through this tunnel, going ever deep under the ground, with no idea where they were going except that this must be where the Hark kept his treasure. It was decided that, as they seemed unlikely to be attacked at this point, they could rest for a spot of lunch.
A few hours later, feeling refreshed, they again began to amble off down the corridor.

When he thought it must be past sunset, they halted for Gracientus to pray to Set for his magic power and the rest of the group refilled their lanterns. They reckoned that one lantern-full of oil would get them back to the Hark’s cavern, as they wouldn’t be looking for tracks or traps, so they decided to economise and only have one lantern lit.

Two hours later, they entered a natural cavern which had been obviously enlarged and which had two corridors leading off. Gaelle found the Hark’s trail leading from the right-hand corridor and booted humanoid tracks leading off into the other. They ignored the other and followed the Hark’s trail.

The corridor became a long stair, which went on for a quarter of a mile before opening out into an enormous chamber. The light of the lantern illuminated a patch of wall behind them but could not find any surface in front except the stairs themselves, which led out into clear air.

Stopping quietly on the stair, they could hear the sound of water in the far distance, echoing around the space so it could have come from anywhere.
Being careful on the wide, slightly slippery steps, they moved on, out into the void.

Half a mile out and half a mile down, the sound of water dripping into water getting louder, Helga could hear the flapping of wings. Small, leathery wings.

Many small wings.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
robberbaron said:
The goblins then grabbed their little maces and charged in, four of them being chopped up by Li Kung before they even finished their battle-cry, “Aaargh…!”

Li Kung's first real success with the glaive - I'd rolled something ridiculously low for initiative and wasn't going to go until "3", but the goblins ran into attack through his threatened area - AoO, kill, cleave onto mate and kill him. AoO, kill. AoO, kill... It was a classic martial art "acting without thinking move, and Li Kung was starting to feel that he'd got the secrets down pat.

before Li Kung’s next unsuccessful grapple.

Unfortunately in the big fight with the Hark I just couldn't roll a decent grapple check. I roll a 3, a 4, something else so low... I wasn't going to be the one to finish off the hark, that was for sure!

robberbaron

First Post
Flocking Around

As Helga opened her mouth to scream a warning, into the beam of her lantern flew several Stirges.
Then the rest of the flock arrived.

Li Kung swung his glaive around in a frantic defensive pattern, hoping to cut the creatures down before they reached him, with singular lack of success. The little suckers quickly covered the party like a swarm of dire mosquitos, pushing their probosci (sic) deep into their flesh, preparing to fill themselves with hot, sweet blood. (Mwah, ha, ha!)

Helga tried shooting the few unattached stirges, Gaelle’s arrow sent a stirge off into the darkness as a kebab and Li Kung attempted to pull one of his out of his chest while the rest hacked at the creatures with whatever small weapons they had. With some success as well, thanks to immense strength and cleaving ability.
They weren’t quite successful enough, however, as all of them suffered significant blood loss.

This is where they could have done with a Sleep spell. Unfortunately, the arcanist only knew magic missile. Oh dear.

They could only both desperately stab at and feed the stirges.

Twelve seconds later, covered in each other’s blood from burst stirges, the party teetered on the edge of both an effectively bottomless cavern and death. So, darkness beckoned either way.
They could hear several of the vile beasts flapping heavily into the dark to digest their breakfast.

Seriously shagged, but far too treasure-hungry to give in to near-terminal desangification, the brave party decided to continue down the stair into the waiting darkness.
This decisiveness lasted less than a minute before reason prevailed (Gracientus REALLY didn’t want to go on with 4 hit points and 1 CON) so they retreated back to the top of the stairs.

After some hours of trudging with frequent fag breaks they arrived back at the Hark’s lair, Gaelle and Cord huffing and puffing with fatigue and Seigfried buoyed up only by his enormous charisma.

As they climbed gingerly down the ladder they could hear the squeaking of dire rats and sneaked through the ashes of Helga’s fire and crept out into the daylight, heading back to their inn and a couple of days rest and several good long sleeps.

Helga was very worried that whatever treasure the Hark had (and that they hadn’t found) would be taken by the watchmen who should have cleared out the lair while they were further underground.
“We’ll just have to nick some stuff then.” suggested Cord. “Knock over a merchant outside the town.”

Helga took care of the others and Gracientus supplemented her medical attention with spells, partially restoring the party, but they required 2 further days of complete rest to bring them to enough health to return to the Hark’s lair to hunt for his treasure.
Cord called a meeting on the second day to discuss the pitiful booty they had gained.
“409GP between six isn’t much for all that work” agreed Li Kung.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m in this for personal power and money and I don’t give a toss how I get it.” explained Cord. There was general agreement to his sentiments.
“I don’t mind doing these big jobs but I could probably earn more by knocking off a merchant. With less risk. So, I suggest that we head back to Byzantium and do just that, if one happens to fall across our path.”
Li Kung agreed with the idea but was a little worried about gaining an unfavourable reputation.
Helga also wanted lots of money, but also wanted a base so she could establish a laboratory to research the strange stuff that was happening to her.
Seigfried was happy to make a name for himself bringing lawbreakers to justice. And he didn’t understand much of what was being said around him anyway.

Gaelle, now she had some money, wanted to take a month or so off from bounty hunting to make herself a new bow.

“We have horses,” explained Cord sagely, “so we could have a base somewhere we don’t break the law and travel somewhere else to get what we need.”

Asked his view, Gracientus told them that he had been sent out into the world by his superiors in the Temple of Set to gain experience and prove himself worthy of further training, as well as providing interesting items of treasure for Maxis, the High Priest. Bounty hunting seems to be quite an exciting life, at least so far, and he was very interested in continuing his association with them.

Cord, feeling healthy, went to the watchhouse to report success, much to the amazement and chagrin of the desk sergeant. He had ‘All Killed’ in the watch sweep and would now have to give his winnings back.
Just to be sure, he asked for proof of their success and was shown the head.
The watch captain, alerted to the facts offered his congratulations and 30 silvers pay for the week they had been militiamen. There was also a reward for the Hark’s demise, posted by the Mayor. A not unwelcome 500 gold.
After the captain had gone back to his office to continue his hard day’s feet up on desk, Cord asked the sergeant how his lad’s had got on down the Hark’s Lair, only to be told that they had a look around without finding anything. Apparently, the Hark’s lads decided not to stick around.

Back at the inn the rest of the party were still discussing their next move.
“Why was the Hark such a big problem around here? He can’t have been any good with that pitiful excuse for a hoard.” Li Kung wondered.
Looking at the map of his lair Helga had an idea. “What if there was something hidden in the lower level? It would explain the pit and the fungus-thing. There must be something there worth guarding.”

“Obviously, the watch didn’t explore the caverns as they didn’t kill the dire rats and didn’t find any more treasure” added Cord upon his return. In fact, the watch hadn’t actually sent anyone out there. They had lost far too many men to the Hark’s thieves to storm his lair on the say of a bunch of gung ho strangers.

Gaelle suggested that, as they had done the local Thieves’ Guild a favour in taking out the Hark, they might be able to get a refund on their temporary membership fee. Li Kung went out to scratch cant signs around the town, asking for a meeting.
Soon afterwards he was contacted and went to the meeting, which went quite well. Li Kung explained that they had done the Guild a big favour and boldly asked what favours were worth.
“What do you want? Membership?”
“Money. We’re not staying around here.”
The Guild representative had a little think and offered 400 gold as a reward and leaving gift.
Li Kung was feeling particularly lucky and explained that 420 gold would make it a lot easier for them to share out the reward.
Not fully believing his ears, but rather looking forward to seeing the back of these adventurers, the Guild rep agreed, “I’m cutting me own throat, but OK. Anytime you want to come back, you can have membership. I know the others aren’t actually thieves but we won’t hold that against them after they’ve sworn the oaths.”

On the way back to the inn, Li Kung wondered what the Guild in this poxy town could possibly offer that would draw them back. Unless they took it over, of course. Hmm.
Later, with Helga’s aid, Li Kung managed to find someone to repair his nearly knackered glaive.

Helga continued to push for a return to the Hark’s lair to search for the treasure that he must have had.
Eventually the others relented and the next day, restored to full health and stocked with lamp oil, headed back to the caves.

May 25th 1699

Bright and early, well, sometime after a leisurely breakfast, our heroes found themselves outside the Hark’s former lair, pondering upon the weather. It had been sunny and warm for some time. Ever since they arrived in Starros, in fact. They didn’t think it too odd, just that the rain would doubtless return as soon as they were back on the road. Cord was actually considering getting (though probably not actually paying for) a carriage for when they finally left the town.
The smell of burning hay had dissipated over the last few days and there was no sound of rats inside.
Helga headed for where they knew a pit trap to be situated. Unable to find it by feeling around, she decided to gingerly trip the trap and, therefore, discover where it was, hopefully without discovering what was at the bottom.
She managed to set the trap off without overbalancing into the deep hole revealed. She shone the lantern down the hole, unable to see either an opening in the side walls or the bottom. It smelled a bit funny as well.

Not wanting to push their luck at this time, the party decided to return to the entrance and go round the other side to where Philp’s map had “Fungus” marked on it.
They crept round the corner and lo, a strange fungus-thing was indeed present.
Gaelle identified it as Violet Fungus, but didn’t know how best to deal with it.
Figuring that fire normally worked with growing things, Helga used her magical powers to upend a couple of oil flasks over the “creature” while Li Kung retired to a place of relative safety, in case of an explosion.
Gaelle prepared a fire arrow, which she lit from the lantern and shot into the fungus, setting it alight.
The fungus’ tendrils thrashed around, as if in extreme pain, for nearly a minute before it subsided into a stinking, smoking mound. Gaelle put two more arrows into it – just to be sure – and the fungus collapsed into a heap.

After waiting for the fire to die out and the acrid smoke to clear they entered the cavern and had a poke around. Li Kung and Gracientus stayed on guard while Helga hunted about, noticing a small secret door a couple of feet square on one wall.
Concerned that it might contain another fungus with tendrils that could whip out at her, Helga took great care in opening the compartment, having not found any traps (after Gaelle prompted her to actually look for them), with the others alert and awaiting attack.

A roughly square area of wall detached itself and swung out, revealing a semi-circular hole, through which Helga spotted a brief glint – though she couldn’t tell if it was a gem or an eye in the darkness.
Lying down on the floor and shining the lantern inside, she could see a great deal of shiny dots within the chamber, possibly crystals in the rock wall.

The rest of the party became somewhat uneasy as Helga exuded a thin film of odourless slime all over her body – she looked like she had been smeared in Vaseline – then crawled silently through the hole. She was worried about another fungus-creature grappling her.

“What the hell are you?” asked Gaelle as the Nordic half-slug disappeared into the tunnel.

Pausing in the end of the tunnel, Helga could not hear anything so stood up in the glittery cave, shining her lantern around. Li Kung followed her, glad that the slime trail seemed to have quickly disappeared, with the others behind.

Helga had a good look around while she was waiting for the others to arrive. She could see quite a few pits in the walls, like small chunks had been removed - perhaps, this was where the Hark got his wealth?

All inside, the party gazed around in wonder at the beautifully sparkly chamber. It was like standing inside a huge geode. After a few moments, they formed up into a line and moved, not particularly quietly, across the chamber to a rough passage and through it into an even more twinkly chamber.

Though making a fair amount of noise, they could hear many legs clicking around them, echoing round the chamber. Gaelle opened up her lantern and stepped in, looking up to see a shape in the darkness above them. Dropping the lantern she grabbed an arrow and shot whatever it was.

Cord stepped past the Ranger and was slashed across the shoulder by the something. Looking up, he could see two monstrous centipedes above them, one of them with his blood on its mandibles.

Li Kung, having seen an enormous mouth appear out of nowhere and take a chunk out of Cord, stepped in and swung his glaive into the darkness above the entrance.

Then the centipedes attacked. A set of massive fangs entered Helga’s chest and exuded some horrible muck into the wound while another nearly bit Li Kung in half. He could feel the vile poison coursing through his veins, partially paralysing him. Helga pulled out of the combat, though not carefully enough to avoid the jaws of the centipede and managed to get out of reach before slumping against the wall.

Seigfried, figuring that they couldn’t react to everything that came close, moved in against the bug that had almost eaten Helga.
Gracientus decided that combat would be bad for his health and Blessed the party.
Gaelle took a small chunk out of a centipede’s chitin, while Cord stepped in and carved a somewhat larger gash in its head.
Li Kung, also trying to preserve his health, banged his glaive on his foe’s head before tumbling out of reach and attracting Gracientus’ attention to his gaping wounds, oozing with dark venom.

Gaelle could only watch in horror as the gargantuan maw closed around her shoulder and her legs felt decidedly leaden as the poison did its work. Cord was also bitten again, though his body was better able to defeat the foul venom.

Seigfried and an almost bloodless Helga drew centipede ichor while Gracientus healed Li Kung.
Gaelle took a step backwards and shot two arrows into the wall.
Cord, imposingly erect in the face of a 35 foot centipede, stuck his enormous weapon deep into the beast’s brain pan, amazingly hitting its brain, and managed to pull his sword free as the centipede collapsed on the floor.

Li Kung tumbled back into the fray and spanged his glaive off the remaining bug’s body.
He did manage, however, to attract its attention. After the centipede had withdrawn its frightening mouthparts Li Kung’s leg was only held on by the tendons and he had little blood left in his venom stream.

Helga struck the monster with a magic missile and Seigfried lobbed a dagger in its rough direction.
Gracientus took Gaelle’s spear and threw it towards Seigfried and Cord, who ran forward, picked up Li Kung’s glaive and startled the centipede into headbutting the wall.

Gaelle shot again, chipping the bug’s armour before it snapped its mouth towards Cord.
Another magic missile from Helga and Seigfried picked up Gaelle’s spear, preparing it for his next attack.

Gracientus, one eye on the bug, reached out and called upon the holy power of Set to knit Li Kung’s horrific wound.

Gaelle, feeling out of position, tumbled away and ricocheted another arrow off the centipede, which leaned forward and swished its mandibles past Cord’s head.

A third magic missile from Helga and Seigfried poked the bug with the spear.

Gracientus, trying to increase Seigfried’s strength, was not careful enough and received a set of teeth in his arm for his troubles.

Gaelle hit the wall twice more, before Cord put a crease in the bug’s head. It turned its attention to Seigfried, its teeth scraping across his armour, before he stuck the spear into the creature’s body.
An arrow from Gaelle and Cord carved the centipede’s face in two, venom and ichor spraying across the cavern.
Luckily Cord was able to roll Li Kung out of the way before the centipede’s body hit the floor.

“That’s a coat ruined. Bastard!” moaned Li Kung, gritting his teeth against the pain and moving in a straight line like Mr. Blobby.
“Where’s my glaive?”
“Under that” answered Cord.
“Start digging” suggested Seigfried, helpfully.

After Gracientus had dispensed his quota of Set’s healing power, Helga looked up at the two holes some twenty feet above them and wondered if they were full of centipede babies. At least it would be an easy climb, even easier for a Wererat.

Gaelle, thinking that they couldn’t both be treasure troves, hunted around for signs of the Hark visiting one of the dark, quiet holes. She eventually saw past all the gargantuan centipede trails to find faint wereratty prints, leading to one of the entrances.
“You going to go first, then,” asked Helga, “only I’m down to a pint of blood here.”
The ranger, feeling surprisingly fit and with a new twinge of magical potentiality (she went up a level), led the way up the twinkly rock face to the obviously natural opening, followed by the others. It wasn’t a difficult climb but, thanks to all the crystals embedded in the rock, it was a bit painful. Not that Helga minded.
The short tube opened into a chamber without gemstones in the wall. Strangely dull after the technicolour sparkle of the geode, and containing two lumpy sacks and a chest.
Kneeling quietly for a few moments (and for a change), Helga concentrated on discerning any magical emanations within the chamber, noticing the pulse of dweomer within the chest.
Turning her normal sight to the sacks, she attempted to find evidence of traps and actually found one, in the cord that secured the top of a sack.
Using her magic she untied both cords, lifted them away from the sacks and deposited them on the other side of the chamber, all without touching them. She then opened the sacks in the same manner and peered inside.
One sack contained several small pouches, found to contain gems when Helga used her Mage Hand to open one. Her spell effect brought one of the gems to her so she could appraise its worth – an amethyst worth a couple of gold pieces.
The other, rather lumpier, sack also contained pouches along with assorted gem encrusted gold tableware.

Woo hoo. They KNEW the Hark must have had a stash.

Turning her attention to the chest Helga ineptly checked it over for traps, barely avoided bending her favourite lockpick AND took a fusillade of darts in the face. Luckily, her body was able to shrug off the poison that coated them.
At this moment, the centipedes’ poison took further effect. Li Kung turned an interesting shade of green as, with Gracientus’ help, he barely avoided being paralysed (0 DEX).
Helga fought through a wave of weakness and realised that there was no chance that she could pick the lock in her condition.
Considering carrying it out, Gaelle decided to chuck it out of the tunnel into the geode, thereby forcefully opening it.
Li Kung suggested that anything breakable inside might be rendered useless, which stopped that idea in its tracks.
“Bring a thief along and she turns out to be bloody useless,” whinged the thwarted ranger.
“Good for some things, but not this,” defended Helga.
“Your Healing is much appreciated,” admitted (grudgingly) Gaelle before tying a rope around the chest and lowering it over the edge, down to the glittering floor.
Cord suggested battering the hinges off the back, while Helga reckoned it was worth much more whole than in pieces and tried to “disable” the hinges with her light tools. Gaelle reckoned that the casket was worth good money so was reluctant to see it damaged unnecessarily and suggested getting Helga some better quality lockpicks when they got back to town.
“I need heavier tools for this. Maybe later” decided Helga.

Having decided that they had now liberated the Hark’s treasure, Helga disappeared back into the “treasure room” to look for further secret doors.
She hunted for twenty minutes before standing on tiptoe and examining a tiny ledge, all but invisible from below, on which she found a key. Just about the right size for the casket.

Returning to the geode, Helga slipped the key gingerly into the lock of the casket and turned it.
Clickedy-click (the lock unlocking) click click (the trap disarming).
Opening the casket, Helga saw a rather nice velvet lining with a glass flask and a book.
“Idiot’s Guide to Were-Creatures,” suggested Seigfried.
“More likely his spellbook,” reasoned Li Kung, “though he might have trapped it as well.”
Helga couldn’t find any traps from a cursory examination.

Not willing to leave just yet, Helga climbed up to the second opening, finding a small chamber devoid of interest. Oh well.

“We climbed up, we climbed down,” moaned Gaelle. “We climbed up, we climbed down. We climbed up, we climbed down.”
“Well, you had put a few pounds on,” noted Cord, helpfully.

The party decided it would be a good idea to return to the inn for another night, to rest and heal, then leave town in the morning.
As they entered the inn the innkeeper approached them, asking when they would be paying something towards their bill. They had originally said they would be staying for a couple of days and now, more than a week later, he hadn’t seen any of their gold.
Cord assured him they’d pay in the morning.
“Uppity lout,” almost-sub-vocalised Li Kung, to the innkeepers receding figure.

“Why don’t we hire a doctor, to treat our injuries,” asked Cord.
It sounded like a good idea so Helga spoke to the innkeeper about it. She was pointed towards an old woman who lived down the street, who might be available to treat their poison injuries.

“We’d like to hire you to treat some of our companions who have been poisoned”
“Poisoned!” exclaimed the old woman. “Where are you staying?”
“It’s OK, they were bitten by giant centipedes. We’d like to hire you to look after us today”
Reassured that her dinner wouldn’t kill her, the healer-woman said she was busy today, but Cord had a plan.
“We’ll pay you double what the other people are paying you.”
“Lead on,” said the old woman, grabbing her bag.

After the crone’s tender ministrations, and some more of the Holy Power of Set, the heroes felt a lot better the next morning. All except Seigfried, who had a rather unquiet night.

He woke, covered in sweat, with blood dribbling down his chin from a bitten tongue (his own), out of a dream filled with blood.
He was seeing through the eyes of a crazed murderer. Himself.
People were being dismembered before his eyes, by his own hands. Arms and legs everywhere. Entrails formed a fountain around his head.
The worst thing, however, was the laughter. Mad cackling of a deranged man.
His own voice.

When the others saw the blood caking Seigfried’s chin, Gaelle thought he’d eaten someone during the night.
“What was the moon’s phase last night?” Helga asked no-one in particular.
Between them they remembered that Luna had been waxing and was still a few days from full, so Seigfried wasn’t a Wererat. Probably.

After breakfast, Helga sat down to check the casket and its contents for magic.
The book was bathed in magical energy (abjuration), as were both the flask and the casket itself (conjuration).
They still assumed that the book was the Hark’s spellbook.

After parting with gold to pay the innkeeper (following a protracted discussion about what could be considered reasonable cost) they mounted their horses and headed south.

Still feeling a little poor, they agreed that if they came across “an opportunity for remuneration” they would take it. Seigfried didn’t really understand what they were suggesting, and no-one took the time to explain it more fully.

Extraordinarily, they were on the road and it wasn’t raining.

That night, they found a dell for their camp, but were having second thoughts about one of them being a Wererat. Seigfried, specifically.
“Better to be tied up all night than hairy and dead before morning”, suggested Cord.
“Why do I have to be tied up?” asked a worried Seigfried.
“If you are a lycanthrope and you turn, you will become a murderous slavering beast,” explained Li Kung, helpfully, “and we will probably have to kill you”.
“Probably?” interjected Gaelle.
“But I will be tied up out in the open. At night!”
“You’re with your friends and companions,” said Cord, hoping the irony escaped the sometimes dense Germanian. “And, if we are attacked during the night, Gracientus could untie you.”
Helga even offered to tie him up. That failed to put Seigfried any more at ease – there was a worrying glint in her eye as she suggested it.

“OK, as long as you don’t do anything weird,” Seigfried told Helga, a little concerned that she might try something after she had him at her mercy.
“Bar tying you up, you mean,” added Cord, helpfully.

Minutes later, Seigfried was trussed like a turkey and leant against a tree (with his back to it as there might be an Uruk in the area and it was apparently common knowledge that Uruks would shag anything).

Cord chose to be on watch when Luna was at its zenith, as he would have the best chance of taking Seigfried out if he both turned into a Wererat and escaped his bonds.

Next morning, Helga untied Seigfried, who had actually managed to get a decent night’s kip.
She then checked the horses, discerning that they had the correct number of legs between them, so they hadn’t missed anything during the night.
And it had started to rain.

By the next evening they arrived back at the bridge over the estuary, where Gracientus asked to stop for an hour so he could perform his devotions to Set. While he was praying, Helga tied Seigfried up again.
Cord explained to Seigfried that they would need to tie him up for another month of nights, just to be sure.
“So, 26 to go”.
“You might get to like it,” suggested Li Kung, prompting much jollity among those of his companions who could understand Graecae. Unfortunately, Seigfried didn’t understand what they were saying, only that the joke was at his expense.

May 28th 1699

Next morning, after untying Seigfried, they rode across the bridge, passing a merchant train going the other way.
“Lucky they met us here,” murmured Li Kung as they passed, heading back toward Byzantium.

Staying the next night in an inn, Seigfried was glad to be tied to a bed rather than to a tree.
He again had an unquiet slumber, wracked with nightmares. First, he was bound and helpless, then the now familiar scenes of carnage surrounded him.
Upon waking, he saw that he was covered in blood and cried out before really waking up, tied to the bed.
Helga, who had been watching Seigfried during the night, asked about his dreams and, after Seigfried described them in detail pronounced, “They are probably psychosomatic. Let’s eat”

May 29th 1699

Pressing on, they arrive back at Byzantium after dark, both Luna and Leos full in the sky.

They found themselves at the Griffin’s Paw Inn, a Watch hang-out, and chose to take rooms for the night.
The Watchmen in the inn sized up the new arrivals, noted their significantly better kit and larger weapons and decided to keep their heads down and eyes averted until the newcomers started anything.

Gracientus thought he’d stay with Seigfried that night to see if he could find out anything about his dreams, though the troubled Germanian had a quiet night.

May 30th 1699

After breakfast, they went to the Hunter’s Guild.
“Ah, you’re back, are you?” said a slightly surprised Herkin, standing up from behind his desk. “Were you successful?”
“This bag is worth 1000 gold pieces to us,” Gaelle told him, holding up a smelly, blood-stained sack.
Looking inside the bag, Herkin agreed that it was the Hark – they had had word that the party were bringing the head back, and it did look like a Hobgoblin.
It would take a couple of hours to get the cash released so they decided to wait around, checking the bounties posted.
They noticed one for the Uruk, Kron, though he was only worth 200 gold. Cord thought that a little high for an unknown, but he was wanted for attempting to defraud the Hunter’s Guild and involuntary slaying of three Watchmen (resisting arrest, including biting one’s arm off).

After they had stood around getting bored for two hours, Herkin returned and handed them a bag of platinum coins. The denomination didn’t worry the party, only the quantity.

They enquired about a reasonably honest person to whom they could offload all the gems and gold tableware they had collected. Gaelle asked Helga to watch Herkin, to make sure he wasn’t sending them to some shady dealer from whom he’d get a commission.
Herkin sent them to Massos, who was capable of handling large quantities of low-grade gems.

Li Kung spent his time scrutinising the bounties posted to find the highest paying one. What he found wasn’t so much a bounty as a “hunting reward” for a number of beasts that had been plaguing farmland to the east, ripping cows up in the fields. From the description, “cats, twice as big as a man, big claws and wings”, they assumed them to be manticores.
The reward was 2500 gold for removal of the problem.

The bounty on Kron was the best actual bounty.

“If you like,” Herkin said, “you’ve proved yourselves to be accomplished hunters. You could apply for membership of the Guild. You’d get preferential treatment, you can leave kit and stay here. You’d get discounts from certain weapon dealers in Byzantium. All for 500 gold each.”

“We could probably just about scrape that up between us, but I don’t think we’ll take up you kind offer at this time,” replied Gaelle, in an unusual moment of charm and politeness.

Finding Massos’ shop, one of the largest in the Jewellers’ Quarters, they showed him their wares.
Gaelle prompted Helga to suggest that if he gave them a good deal they would bring all their ill-gotten gains to him.
After careful consideration he offered them 1250 gold for the lot. “Please come again.”

Next stop, the Byzantium branch of the Society of Mages, Sages, Alchemists and Other Professional Thinking Persons (generally called “The Mages’ Guild”).

“To discern all dweomers on the contents of the casket will require a deposit of 100 gold, the total charge to be calculated based on the magics necessary to complete the task,” intoned a bored-looking clerk at the Guild.
“Fair enough,” replied Gaelle,” we’ll come back in a couple of days”.

Seigfried wanted them to find out how powerful his armour was, Helga handed over the unknown shortsword and Gaelle fished out two unknown potions, for immediate Identification. A few minutes, and 210 gold pieces of work later, they got their answers.

Gracientus decided to return to the Temple of Set, to get tuition in reading Nhaghashk (the tongue of the more “civilised” Orcs - so he could use the scrolls they had picked up in the mines of Darak) and some conversational Germanic (so someone in the party other than Helga could speak to Seigfried).

“What’s the plan then, guys,” asked Cord.
“Wait a couple of days, collect our stuff then go kill manticores?,” suggested Helga, cheerfully.
“The reward would pay for our accommodation for the next month or so,” added Gaelle.

“The thing is,” considered Li Kung, “when we went up against the Hark, we gained much more from the thieves, in terms of their kit, than we got in money. If we went after the manticores we would get money, but probably no more than that. They’re unlikely to have any treasure.
I wonder; would it be better to find a Wizard’s Tower or Temple to knock over.”

“Well, whatever we do, I want to take time out to make my bow,” explained Gaelle, who had wanted to construct her own bow ever since she got her first one.

“Spending a month resting would be much easier if we had 2500 gold,” said Helga.
“Yeah,” countered Cord, “but that is only 500 each.”

Cord and Li Kung couldn’t see any good reason to laze around not getting any richer while Gaelle worked on her bow, and Gaelle didn’t want to miss out on a month of adventures.
Despite the arguments that they could use whatever money they gained from selling the potions and spellbook to buy a bow for Gaelle, it became clear that constructing her own bow was something she just had to do.

After discussing the issue deep into the evening it was decided that the others would “get jobs” for the intervening time – spending time bodyguarding, doing the odd bounty, teaching merchants’ sons to swing swords, etc.

That evening, Gaelle sat down and seriously considered how long it would take her to make the bow and figured that it would actually take four months. The others weren’t too perturbed with spending this length of time in Byzantium, though Cord was a little concerned that it didn’t further his goal of gaining personal wealth and power.

Two days later, they were called to the Mages’ Guild to collect their items.
The casket had a magical fire trap on it, which was deactivated by using the key, in addition to the poison dart trap on the lock. The book was indeed a spellbook, which was also fire-trapped.
The potion was one of Restoration. A rare and expensive item: much more powerful than the normally accepted maximum for a potion. They would very much like to do some more investigation on it.

------

The summer passed in gainful employ and the shadows had begun to lengthen toward autumn when the party were again ready to hit the road in search of other peoples’ riches.

During the summer, Gaelle had spent a day out in the country calling an animal companion.
After 8 hours of concentration and meditation, a large dog padded out of a field and sat down beside her, waiting patiently for her to come out of her trance and notice him.

------

robberbaron

First Post
With this Story Hour I am trying to make the events "cinematic" but realise I run the risk of making it too detailed.

Trouble is, I want to include all the action without making it tedious to read. Not easy.

Please let me know how it comes across.

Remove ads