D&D (2024) They need to bring back Gather Information in One DnD.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Isn't it covered my the 'research' downtime activity in the PHB?
Kind of, but research is Intelligence based, and more focused on hunting down specific information you’re looking for. I think a Charisma based downtime activity for picking up general rumors would compliment it really well.

Honestly, I feel like that would be a much better use of the Carouse activity, instead of just making back your lifestyle expenses + some additional gold, and potentially running into some hijinks.

John Lloyd1

Explorer
Kind of, but research is Intelligence based, and more focused on hunting down specific information you’re looking for. I think a Charisma based downtime activity for picking up general rumors would compliment it really well.
I mentions both intelligence and charisma under that activity without seeming to prioritise either. There is a lot of DM's fiat though.

Including the text for reference:

Researching​

The time between adventures is a great chance to perform research, gaining insight into mysteries that have unfurled over the course of the campaign. Research can include poring over dusty tomes and crumbling scrolls in a library or buying drinks for the locals to pry rumors and gossip from their lips.

When you begin your research, the DM determines whether the information is available, how many days of downtime it will take to find it, and whether there are any restrictions on your research (such as needing to seek out a specific individual, tome, or location). The DM might also require you to make one or more ability checks, such as an Intelligence (Investigation) check to find clues pointing toward the information you seek, or a Charisma (Persuasion) check to secure someone's aid. Once those conditions are met, you learn the information if it is available.

For each day of research, you must spend 1 gp to cover your expenses. This cost is in addition to your normal lifestyle expenses (as discussed in chapter 5).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm not sure it's a problem that different characters are going to be better at different things. Yeah, you want to send the charming face man out to gather rumors. But that ability isn't as useful when trying to piece together clues in a murder mystery or stopping the ogre with the greataxe from splitting everyone in two.
It's a problem because 5e effectively made specialized knowledge skills into a single general purpose thing. Bumping charisma like that puts a spotlight on the problem side of the scales.

U
Having the concept spelled out as both a PHB sidebar and as a DMG downtime activity would be a really good idea and require very words in either 2024 book.
I tried and tried to make that phb option work but almost without fail get confusion and bewilderment back or I get Prof+original attribute mod+chosen attribute mod and worse no matter how often I use it it's almost more work than it's worth for the gm and it's still lacking in all the ways covered in the great Alexandrian skills article even if you use it

Remove ads