• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

They ruined run!!

Stalker0

Legend
When I saw the run action in DDXP I shouted for joy.

Running...simply add +2 squares to your speed, and everyone gets combat advantage against you.

My god what a beautiful rule, easy to use, easy to remember, a solid bonus trading off with a solid penalty. What could be more perfect?

And then the final rules....a -5 to attack rolls after a run!!! So run goes from a nice strategic action that had both positive and negatives to being something I will only use to take move actions, because I'm certainly not using any big powers.

Sojorn

First Post
Because only granting combat advantage wasn't enough to discourage ranged attackers from using it almost as a normal movement mode?

Vaeron

Explorer
Did you know you can take a double-move action to move twice your normal speed, without taking any penalties to your attack on the next round? Run just allows you to take an action before (with no penalty) or after (with a -5) a longer move.

What you've described, slamming into combat and getting a bonus, is a charge. Running is not an attack, it's a way to get somewhere quickly. And really, how accurate are you at actions you're trying to perform during or right when coming out of a high-speed sprint?

frankthedm

First Post
smathis[QUOTE said:
]Originally Posted by Victim
It's to keep people from trying to completely avoid enemies by taking a run, then shooting a bow.
Cool. That makes sense.[/QUOTE]Yeah, sounds like it. Sadly this does remove a tactical element since giving combat advantage in exchange for an additional two squares of charge range was a nice option. Good ole overextended charge.

Remove ads