• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E THIEF as in thief

albatrossen

First Post
Help me build a thief. We start a new campaign and I want to play a rogue. My only demands are to play a halfling or a Gnome. my stats are 9,9,10,13,15,18. feel free to work him through. But as I said, I want to make him a real thief using sleight of hand and stealth more than anything else. I can multiclass i 3 different classes (houserule as GM dont want players with more classes than 3) please give it a go. he starts at level 1 as a rogue. give advice on useable spells, skills and feats, and come up with funny ideas...

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
My apologies if this is obtuse, but maybe you should consider playing a thief if you want to play a thief.

Lightfoot halfling
18 Dexterity (20 with racial bonus)
Charlatan background (Criminal is kind of a waste for a Rogue, and Charlatan gives you disguise kit proficiency)
Rogue class (take the Thief archetype at 3rd level)
Proficiency in Acrobatics, Deception, Stealth, and Sleight of Hand
Dual wield rapiers

I mean, if you'd said, "I want to play a Rogue but he needs to be able to rage and cast arcane spells," /that/ would be a thought experiment. But a Thief who thieves is pretty much what's on the tin.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
What DMZ2112 said, except I would dual wield short sword and dagger No need to spend the feat on dual wielding for the extra point of damage. Take Mobile instead. Mobile Rogues get many more Sneak Attack opportunities. It helps you get out of trouble, too.

albatrossen

First Post
I considered playing a plain thief but I´m pretty sure that I will start looking for more possibilities in my character around level 7 or 8, therefore I look for something shrewed not especially strong just good at distractions and fun to play...absolutely not trying to maximize a charater :)

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Straight Arcane Trickster might suit your needs. Away from my books at the moment, but their spell list and abilities make them pretty good utility/helper characters. Fun to play, too. For the same reason, Bards make very good thieves, too...

Remove ads