Things (i.e. Goblins) That Go Bump in the Night

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You need trolls that turn to stone in the sunlight, and goblins (or other fey) who have vulnerabilities to cold iron. Perhaps they can't cross a ward circle drawn in chalk or salt.

Come to think of it, you're right.

GameDoc

Explorer
Something else I'm tryin to model is that goblins can stay in our world past the break of dawn, but really don't want to. The vulnerability to sunlight is a great start, but I'd like some other reason why they want to make their raids and then get back to an area that will vanish back into their realm rather than just hide somewhere in ours until sundown. Maybe that doesn't require a mechanic. Maybe it's just the same for the as human adventurers. Why camp in the enemy's turf and risk discovery if you can make it back to a safe place? Ultimately PCs would probably have a few adventures like that - go raid that goblin fort that appears in the canyon every new moon, but get out before dawn or you'll be stuck in the shadow realm.

EDIT: I think what I am trying to convey is I'm looking for a reason that goblins wouldn't be trying a Trojan Horse strategy of laying in wait until dark. Looking for a reason they have trouble establishing a foothold and claiming territory in the real world.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Would YOU like to be stuck behind enemy lines for 12 hours? With the portals to their real disappearing like a daily version of Brigadoon, I could see them running like hell when dawn approached, even without a vulnerability to sunlight.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
EDIT: I think what I am trying to convey is I'm looking for a reason that goblins wouldn't be trying a Trojan Horse strategy of laying in wait until dark. Looking for a reason they have trouble establishing a foothold and claiming territory in the real world.
Perhaps the two worlds shift around relative to each other? That is to say, maybe-- from the goblins' perspective-- a particular portal (or whatever connects the two worlds) opens near Lumberbrook Village tonight, but opens onto the Desert of Howling Wastes tomorrow, and onto the courtyard of Goblinslayer Keep, then an empty glen, then the Sea of Acid Tears, then an owlbear's lair, then another village, and so on over subsequent nights. This may or may not be predictable with astrology or divinations.

In this way, the goblins might have a shot at being ready for a particular opening for a night of havoc, but really establishing themselves on 'this' side would require too much foresight and long-term planning than goblins are typically capable of. Once in a blue moon, however, maybe a particularly effective Goblin King could coerce the tribes into making it work....

ComradeGnull

First Post
Something else I'm tryin to model is that goblins can stay in our world past the break of dawn, but really don't want to. The vulnerability to sunlight is a great start, but I'd like some other reason why they want to make their raids and then get back to an area that will vanish back into their realm rather than just hide somewhere in ours until sundown. Maybe that doesn't require a mechanic. Maybe it's just the same for the as human adventurers. Why camp in the enemy's turf and risk discovery if you can make it back to a safe place? Ultimately PCs would probably have a few adventures like that - go raid that goblin fort that appears in the canyon every new moon, but get out before dawn or you'll be stuck in the shadow realm.

Goblins have a connection to their home realm- food from the other world won't nourish them, so they gain a stacking penalty every day that they are away from their home realm during daylight. Also, they become cranky and destructive from hunger- a goblin who is left in the other realm for multiple days is basically a starving berkserker who is potentially dangerous, but also incapable of any thought beyond except trying to devour whatever is in front of it.

GameDoc

Explorer
Great suggestions all around. Thanks!

The more I've thought about backstory, the more I think I would like goblins to have some established footholds. The play test materials say dwarves once ruled vast kingdoms that have since fallen. Guess what part of the mortal world is ripe for conquest without having to spend much time in the sun? So, the goblins did it. Basically it's the Mines of Moria scenario on a grander scale.

Fortunately for humans, elves, and halflings, they don't live underground, so goblins can't really sack one of their settlements and then take up residence. They can pillage and loot, but have to retreat by daybreak.

That would give two scenarios for facing goblins. One where they are based in some sort of caverns or underground ruins and you have to go in and clear them out. The other where they are taking advantage of a crossing point from their realm that opens up from time to time. The former seems like the basis for a dungeon crawl while the latter allows for random encounters just about anywhere and would explain why the local authorities can't just be rid of goblins altogether by cleaning out any nearby tlairs. More just pop through at night and all we can do is lock tdoozies, man the walls at night, and ward all the doors and windows.

I can picture a grizzled old ranger explaining it to some novices: "Oh yeah, we search for any lairs or warrens in the countryside and clear 'em out so that we don't get a full on infestation. But you're always gonna have a few cross over at night and snag some sheep or mug a hapless traveler after dusk. All we can do is keep it to a minimum. I seen fifty winters in my life and I reckon I've been down that old mine shaft at least half as many times to thin 'em out. Give it a year or two and they'll be a new bunch of them setting up shop down there."

Remove ads