• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things I'm Sick of - Action Movie Cliche #39

Fenros

First Post
Sometimes I gotta get up and just plain rant about something...

There's tons of Action Movie Cliches I hate.

Here's a recent one that I was reminded of. It was way overdone and too old many years ago, but it didn't stop an unimaginative director from using it.

In the latest commercials and trailers for the "Resident Evil" movie, Milla Jovovich plays a scientist (who knows an acrobatic martial art I guess) decides to fight an undead dog by...

...drum roll please...

...running away from it, jumping and rebounding off a wall back toward it and doing a flying kick!

UGH!

Okay, feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to vent and rant on Action Movie Cliches you hate too...

Last edited:

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Yes, that was utterly ridiculous and lame. I am 99% convinced Resident Evil: The Movie is going to suck after watching the trailer. The pinheads will probably eat it up, though. I wish George Romero were still writing/directing it instead! :(

How can you fire Romero (the guy whose films RE is blatantly ripped off from from making RE too much like his films?). Argh!

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I want to argue something about this, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'm a fan of action movies, myself. It shows in my huge Feng Shui fetish.

I like ridiculous, crazy out-there stunts and deeds. I like watching the Blues Brothers drive cars through a mall. I like watching Jackie Chan fight mooks with a writing desk. I don't think I'll especially like seeing Milla Jovovich vault-kick an undead doberman, but I'd much rather that than see her manage to pick up a gun and shoot it at twenty feet away.

So, do you hate that she does the jump-vault-kick (which I honestly haven't seen in any film) or that there isn't a real world, everyday feasible way for her to defeat the dog?

Here's an action movie cliche' I'm damn sick of: Piss-poor choreography.

Last edited:

Welverin

First Post
Didn't she actually run away from it into a room and shut the door behind her look out the window at it and then turn around to se that there were at least five more in the room with her? The triangle jump kick came later.

At least that's how the commercial I saw repeated last night was cut.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Welverin said:
Didn't she actually run away from it into a room and shut the door behind her look out the window at it and then turn around to se that there were at least five more in the room with her? The triangle jump kick came later.

At least that's how the commercial I saw repeated last night was cut.

You're correct.

Black Omega

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Yes, that was utterly ridiculous and lame. I am 99% convinced Resident Evil: The Movie is going to suck after watching the trailer. The pinheads will probably eat it up, though. I wish George Romero were still writing/directing it instead! :(

How can you fire Romero (the guy whose films RE is blatantly ripped off from from making RE too much like his films?). Argh!
Well, they were certainly inspired by certain parts of the Living Dead movies. Not all of them. Romero seemed to not be making an RE movie but instead taking his chance to try and make another Living Dead movie that just happened to be called Resident Evil. I liked the RE games. I don't care much for Romero's films. So I'm happy.;)

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here's an action-movie cliche that I'm tired of:

Bad guys missing all the time.

I think it's just an excuse for bad writing.

S'mon

Legend
LostSoul said:
Here's an action-movie cliche that I'm tired of:

Bad guys missing all the time.

I think it's just an excuse for bad writing.

I _so_ hate that - eg Desperado - possibly the worst movie ever made. And apparently El Mariachi was good!

LostSoul

Adventurer
One of the new Bond films brought it home for me. Bond was cool because he didn't need to get in a gunfight; he'd seduce his way into spectre's base. In Goldeneye, however, there was a scene where he was relying on the bad aim of his rivals. Poor show, Mr. Bond.

I thought the recent Brad Pitt/Robert Redford spy movie was a good action flick.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Fenros said:
In the latest commercials and trailers for the "Resident Evil" movie, Milla Jovovich plays a scientist (who knows an acrobatic martial art I guess) decides to fight an undead dog by...

...drum roll please...

...running away from it, jumping and rebounding off a wall back toward it and doing a flying kick!

Yeah, I remember playing the RE games and thinking "Whoah! This survival horror game is just like The Matrix! Dewd!"

Uh-huh.

J
will probably give it a miss - movies based on video games invariably suck anyway

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads