• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things I've learned from Gaming.

Stormrunner

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
They're nothing compared to the imaginary, invisible, turtles - those little fellas will break your neck.

Unseen imaginary DECEASED turtles - and they only force you to parry for the next 2 rounds.

Personally I've always preferred:

Worst move anyone has sen in ages. 50% chance you are out 2 days with a pulled groin. 50% chance opponent out 3 rounds laughing.

I always rolled the 2 50% chances seperately, so it was possible to get both results...

But back to the topic...

Most "things I have learned" have come from DMing - going down to the library and looking stuff up in order to incorporate it into an adventure/campaign. Ranks and organization of the Roman army, weather patterns, the Turkish siege of Vienna, various wilderness survival techniques, Renaissance architecture, Japanese mythology...

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
I have to attribute most of my college education to D&D. In HS I was playing both a classical Greek game and an Al-Qadim game. When it came time to pick a major I chose classical languages, as the bit of the ancient world I researched for D&D was fascinating. I also took as many classes on Islam and the history of the middle-east (well, as long as it was pre-modern) asI could because Al-Qadim was the coolest setting EVAR. The great thing was, how much of what I learned from Al-Qadim was correct, mainly in the realm of terminology (I wouldn't claim any real historical knowledge from a D&D setting).
Thanks Uncle Gary!

Bront

The man with the probe
German! (Well, bits and pieces, one gaming group used it as an alternate language when the other PCs couldn't understand it.)

DragonLancer

Adventurer
JimAde said:
I've never been in the military. Just about anything I know about military equipment, procedures, ranks, etc. has been from gaming.

Same with anything medieval. Weapons, terminology, way of life, etc. I doubt I'd ever have much interest in it if not for gaming.

Same here, though probably less about the military side of things. But medieval life, architecture and the like, definately.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I've learned how to organize and encourage the growth and development of small groups of people. As GM I schedule and maintain the group, as well as plan our yearly gaming getaway.

I've met my best friends (other than my wife) across a game table, and have learned to listen to people and find out what they want, so I can include it in a game. This works out really well in business too where at least half the objective is to find out what the other guy wants.

Perhaps most importantly, I've learned to value the feelings and experiences of others.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Jacinda said:
Yes! I won a game of scrabble by laying down METIS. Thank you world of darkness!

I have also learned how to harness and maintain the power of the Queen of Nerds.

Metis is a proper noun. Cheater :)

Wormwood

Adventurer
Steel_Wind said:
Metis is a proper noun. Cheater :)

M'etis \M['e]`tis"\, n. m. M'etisse \M['e]`tisse"\, n. f.[F.; akin to Sp. mestizo. See Mestizo.] 1. The offspring of a white person and an American Indian.

2. The offspring of a white person and a quadroon; an octoroon. [Local, U. S.] --Bartlett.

/dictionary.com

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads