D&D (2024) Things People Want

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well yeah, but we've had those before, and they tend to go like this:

*No Dragonpeople or demon people.
*No Gnomes (always picking on the Gnomes).
*NO HALFLINGS (I still have PTSD over this one).
*No Half-Races (I guess they won this battle).
*My favorite weird race here because the PHB races are boring (Rogue Modrons, anyone?).
*Humans only/why do we have races (err, species?) anyways?
This is an excellent argument, IMO, for lots of custom PHBs. Put in only the races that you want for your setting, flesh them out, then add subclasses and spells for your setting. It can work as a standalone or as a supplement in other games.

If someone wants to make an all-Underdark PHB with dwarves, gnomes, drow, goblins and other deep dwellers, you've got a buyer in me.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This is an excellent argument, IMO, for lots of custom PHBs. Put in only the races that you want for your setting, flesh them out, then add subclasses and spells for your setting. It can work as a standalone or as a supplement in other games.

If someone wants to make an all-Underdark PHB with dwarves, gnomes, drow, goblins and other deep dwellers, you've got a buyer in me.
A friend of mine, who is far better at such things, actually did this for me for one of my campaigns; he compiled all my house rules and new options and created a pdf that looked just like an official sourcebook!

James Gasik

Supporter
I bet that was a really great package for players.
It was, and it made it really easy to keep track of things, where a several page rules document is almost always forgotten. He even included spiffy art for the setting races!

EDIT: sample page in case you're curious.

Attachments

• ZurAhn.jpg
    ZurAhn.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 55

James Gasik

Supporter
After reading the discussion about ranged Smite on Paladins, and recalling my own thread asking if ranged attacks are too good, I'll add:

"Nerf ranged attacks."
"Don't nerf ranged attacks."

After reading the discussion about ranged Smite on Paladins, and recalling my own thread asking if ranged attacks are too good, I'll add:

"Nerf ranged attacks."
"Don't nerf ranged attacks."
in a similar vein:
*make players add strength to damage even with finesse weapons and don't add any ability modifier to ranged damage
*keep adding dex to ranged and finesse weapon damage
*don't add ability modifiers to damage

Well yeah, but we've had those before, and they tend to go like this:

*No Dragonpeople or demon people.
*No Gnomes (always picking on the Gnomes).
*NO HALFLINGS (I still have PTSD over this one).
*No Half-Races (I guess they won this battle).
*My favorite weird race here because the PHB races are boring (Rogue Modrons, anyone?).
*Humans only/why do we have races (err, species?) anyways?
That is true. It is also true it goes like this:
More types of dragon people.
More types of gnomes.
More types of halfling.
More rules so there can be any half-race.
More types of humans.

But you are right. My statement was off kilter.

James Gasik

Supporter
Wow. I didn't know it, but this is EXACTLY what I want from OneD&D. From the '90s, not the...whatever the hell we're in now.

Also, you guys forgot "species."
Species, lineages, etc. Yes. Some want. Some are like "Race was a perfectly fine word to use in 1974, I'm not changing it now!"

As an aside, I always wondered why D&D always felt the need to make "subraces" when all they really wanted to do was have a different culture of the same race. Why do Mountain Dwarves and Hill Dwarves have to be so distinct from one another because of cultural differences?

Of course the poster child for this are Elves, who tend to mutate into different cultures with physical differences just by living somewhere new for awhile!

Remove ads