• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things that Irk Me about DnD (Somewhat long, kinda ranty)

DragonLancer said:
Druids. Druids are underpowered, and gnerally even with their shapeshifting they arn't worth playing. They need something give them a bit of boost and need a few more decent spells to make them viable.

Was this post done with 2E knowledge? Or are you simply blind? Druids kick the party's ass by themselves whenever they feel like it. If you define Underpowered as "Not having Godlike power", then, well, never mind, because then druids STILL aren't underpowered.

What in the nine hells do you mean by druids being underpowered? 'Cause I'm stumped. Is it the lack of time travelling monkeys or something?

Anyway.

The thing is about clerics being good at healing, is that until they can cast Heal, they just aren't.

My opinion is if you're going to have a cleric class, make them actually GOOD at healing instead of sucking, take away Divine power and Righteous might, make divine favor range of Touch, take their HD to 1d4, and give them poor BaB. And take away the Arcane from spell failure, make all spells be subject to failure in armor, except when cast by a bard, ranger, or paladin.

Last edited:

dead

Explorer
Chris Parker said:
Sigh. Lets leave whatever our personal real world religious beliefs might be totally out of this. Way to easy to offend someone - plus, when you sound intelligeable on the net, your far more likely to be listened to if you do not include your religious inclinations.

The poster was just stating that they are of such-and-such faith and this is how they deal with magic -- just like one might say they're from Australia or from England, etc. Sure, it's a bit of unnecessary information on the web but the only person it's gonna offend is the intolerant. And, as far as I'm concerned, the intolerant can stew in it!

dead

Explorer
Merlion said:
The Arcane/Divine divide

Actually, EGG was quite fond of this type of magic system because, when he released his second Fantasy RRP, Dangerous Journeys, *I think* there was a similar system in place. It had Dweomercraft (arcane) and Priestcraft (divine).

I'm not 100% sure on this, though.

Also, I don't know how EGG is treating magic in his new LA RPG.

dead

Explorer
Count Arioch the 28t said:
Was this post done with 2E knowledge? Or are you simply blind? Druids kick the party's ass by themselves whenever they feel like it. If you define Underpowered as "Not having Godlike power", then, well, never mind, because then druids STILL aren't underpowered.

I have a druid player (3.0 version) in my current game and, I must say, compared to the other PCs, she does *seem* underpowered. Maybe it's just the player, I'm not too sure.

Anyway, in the last adventure, there was a fair bit of combat, and she didn't do much at all except cast Produce Flame and Flaming Sphere. She is 7th level. Is there any other offensive spells/tactics she could use to "kick ass"?

dead

Explorer
I myself favor a threefold magic division: Arcane, Divine, and Psionic. But I'm crazy like that.

Is Psionic a "magic" in your game, or is it classed as non-magical?

Can the Psionic-users manifest healing powers?

Vindicator

First Post
teitan said:
If you look at the core Paladin he does not have to choose a deity to sponsor his powers. Sure, some Paladins "choose" a deity but if you really think about it, it is more like the deity chooses him to embody his tenets and ideals, even in the Realms.
Jason

Clerics don't need deities either. I quote from the PHB:

"Some clerics devote themselves not to a god but to a cause or a source of divine power. These characters wield magic the way clerics devoted to individual gods do, but they are not associated with any religious institution or any particular practice of worship. A cleric of good and law, for example, may be on friendly terms with the clerics of lawful and good deities and may extol the virtues of a good and lawful life, but he is not a functionary in a church hierarchy." (p.30)

The cleric vs. paladin debate just got more complex. ;)

Vindicator

First Post
I myself favor a threefold magic division: Arcane, Divine, and Psionic. But I'm crazy like that.

So you think of psionics as magic. Umm, do we really want to open *that* can of worms? ;)

Vindicator

First Post
dead said:
The poster was just stating that they are of such-and-such faith and this is how they deal with magic -- just like one might say they're from Australia or from England, etc. Sure, it's a bit of unnecessary information on the web but the only person it's gonna offend is the intolerant. And, as far as I'm concerned, the intolerant can stew in it!

Hmmm...are you being intolerant of the intolerant?

teitan

Legend
Actually what I was trying to say was that the original poster who commented in regards to Ceremonial Western Magick was wrong in comparing it to the Arcane magic of D&D because it is much more like Divine magic of D&D, healing, conversing with high intelligences (Gods), interpretation of holy texts etc. than Arcane Magic in D&D... hurling fireballs etc. though unseen servants etc are very een vogue in Chaos Magical circles. LOL It wasn't a comment on religion and RPGs but a comment on someone else's interpretation of a religious practice, which is what western occultism is, a religious practice while not being a religion...

But back to the matter at hand...

Yeah, that paragraph flubs the cleric and I feel it is part of the 1e to 2e Cleric/Priest divide and reintegration, further confusing the lines so that MAYBE Paladin should have been a Prestige Class...

Jason

Remove ads