• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things to do when you're prone.

Li Shenron

Legend
:)

Saeviomagy said:
Good to know you need to be epic before you can walk on a surface that's 1-2 inches thick, craft anything quickly, gather information in a circumspect manner, stand on a mount, read lips while moving, splice two ropes together quickly, etc etc.

I can't imagine what possible explanation you could use to deny a character with sufficient bonuses on a skill any of these.

I must have been epic when at 8 yrs-old I used to managed to walk the rope, or at least had how many? 15 levels? :p Oh wait, there was an entirely different edition back then ;)

Thanee

First Post
isoChron said:
Forgot something ?
I guess Kip Up (Complete Adventurer isn't out yet) and Prone Attack (at least I think so) are available in 3.5, too, and the DC 35 Tumble was available in 3.0 already (first in OA IIRC).

So, not really a difference.

Bye
Thanee

As there doesnt seem to be really clear guidance on how to handle this situation and given how powerful improved trip already is, I opted to allow PC's and NPC's alike to tumble from prone.

The DC is +2 higher to add a bit more difficulty to the normal tumble and they are still prone at the end of the tumble, but it at least allows some other action than to just attack from the prone, crawl 5' (and get AoO) or stand up (and get AoO).

So if a character can beat a DC 17 tumble (or more if floor is uneven or such), I let them tumble away, but they finish up still prone. They can use a full round action to do the tumble and then stand, but at least it tones down the trip munchkins a bit.

Tumbling for the non-rogue and non-monks is still pretty difficult given DC 17 or higher unless one is playing a higher level game.

Lifebane *

Thanee

First Post
[House Rule:] We just added a prone 5 ft. step to replace crawling, which costs a move action in addition to the 5 ft. step and does not provoke an AoO (it's otherwise identical to a 5 ft. step, especially, that you cannot move in any other way for the round, but you could step away crawling and then stand up in a round).

Crawling is such a pointless action, standing up is in pretty much all situations clearly superior (in fact, I cannot readily think of any situation, where it is not --- stand up (AoO), 5 ft. step away, Standard Action left /or/ stand up (AoO), move away (AoO (Combat Reflexes)) --- with crawling you can do... crawl 5 ft. (AoO), Standard Action left (same as above, but still prone) /or/ crawl 5 ft. (AoO), crawl another 5 ft. (AoO (Reach)) /or/ crawl 5 ft. (AoO), stand up (AoO (Reach))).

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads