Things you never thought were wrong with 3.0 until 3.5 came out.

ForceUser

Explorer
We played a 3E campaign up to the point where the characters were 13th to 15th level, and we did see the overpowering effects of haste, holy word, and some other spells. We struggled with 5-foot adjustments made by creatures 10 feet wide and 30 feet long (does swinging the back end around count as more than a 5-foot adjustment?). We wondered why sorcerers would ever use metamagic feats, etc etc. You get my drift. Anyway, 3.5 clarified a lot of the issues that bothered us.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Heh. I usually allow myself about 100 bucks a month for non computer game stuff (books, dice, etc.). I dont always use it, but its there if I need it. Unfortunately I dont always get to use it for me. I got one of my pals who is down on his luck a bit a DMG and PHB. He said he'll use the old MM for now (since I didnt want to spring for that too at the time). On topic, I liked 3e very well, but there were some things I didnt like. As a DM, the buff spells were an unholy nightmare. We had a wiz and a sorc tossing buffs around like it was EQ, and keeping track of who got what was a major PITA. Im very glad to see some moderation of these spells, though I know my players may disagree.

Gregor

First Post
Melkor said:
... is like me living in a cave and never knowing anything else existed outside of the cave....(opening myself up to all kinds of questions about why I was in the cave, how bad my eyes were affected by the light when I was brought out of the cave, etc., etc., etc.)

Been reading The Republic lately? :D

The_Gneech

Explorer
The Antwerp! Bwaahahahaaa!

Man, I miss Quest For Glory.

Sorry for the interruption. Back to your topic, already in progress.

-The Gneech :cool:

Melkor

Explorer
I was going to put the 3.5 books on my shelf and run a 3.0 campaign with my reformed gaming group, trying to squeeze every last drop of usage I could out of all of my books.

Then last night, I sat down with both PHBs and started comparing spells. I did the same thing with the monsters in the MM. And I realized, we are probably going to play a Dragonlance game with the new Campaign Setting book. All overwhelming reasons for me to play 3.5.

I spend most of my spare time these days (when I'm not working or in class) planning for the upcoming campaign, reading the rulebooks, or perusing this message board......I hate to see my 3.0 books go to waste, but I don't really have the desire to update them to 3.5 either....So in the end, it looks like my 3.0 stuff will get boxed up and moved into storage (along with a full collection of 1E and a major collection of 2E stuff).

sigh

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Taking the question as somewhat tongue in cheek, I'd have to say lines and cones.

What was wrong with them that they needed changing in 3.5? Furthermore, they have been changed in a way which simultaneously reduces their power AND makes them harder to understand (followed any of the lightning bolt threads recently? How many were there before 3.5?).

Those spell changes above all else struck me as the most useless sacrifice to the holy grail of selling more plastic figures. (sorry, did I say that out loud?)

Cheers

Melkor

Explorer
I was referring to my personal tastes regarding the 'buff' spells, and things like the old Harm spell compared to the new one. Things were a bit overpowered in the old system IMHO....again, since I never played in a high-level campaign, I didn't notice most of these things until I sat the books side by side last night.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Melkor said:
I bought 3.0 the day it came out. I played various campaigns and one shot games for a solid 2 years.

I never had any problems or ran into anything that I considered to be a major issue with the 3.0 rules. Granted, we never played much further than 6th to 8th level, and there were a couple of times when I thought that bull strength was pretty awesome, but nothing that ever made me say: 'This is broken'.

Speaking as somone who's run a campaign across 20 levels and nearly three years, I can tell you...your experience (while not wrong) is limited. It's hard to see certain spells feel abusive when you've only made it as high as fifth level spells, and one stat increase/two feat increases. When you see what fully powered, fully equipped 15th or 20th level characters can do, you see a lot of things where the system has hiccups.

Was 3.0 broken? Nope, it works fine. But that doesn't mean there wasn't room for improvement.

Remove ads