• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thinking about hanging up the D&D (not RPG) towel (longish).

Jeph said:
Moving away from d20..?

...Play d02. It know no limit.
Dude, have you actually played that baby? It looks frikkin hilarious. I'm thinking I have to try and run it at the next gameday, and bring back a story hour in my best L337 5p33|<.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
My problem with d20 in general (not to even get started on 3.5e) is that it's way too complicated for what I consider "fun play." That is, most average-schmoe type players, with a good imagination and an idea for a character, who just want to "get things going and play," are often left sitting there bored while I (the only one who really understands the rules at all) sit and try to figure everything out and stat things along, while trying to keep it challenging enough for them so that it's interesting, but preferably without killing them.

The problems for me, are namely: feats and spells. These two things alone are EACH individually distinct rules in and of themselves, to be monitored, remembered, or factored in during combat. What they add to the game (usually) are not important enough to merit the trouble.

If the game were simpler, more well-balanced (i.e. no way to make a game-breaking character), and if I found a decent group (which is a heck of a lot harder than people make it sound), I'd be happy, but I guess I'm starting to favor a gameplay style that imcorporates more actual PLAYING, less actual looking up rules and other tedium. Things are better with a skeletal rules system and D&D has already become (once more) a laborynth of pointless rules no one really needs.

That's why "crunch" is such a waste of space. Rules-speak is simply a code so that gamer-geeks (like us) can sit and read something cryptic and know exactly what it means and how it applies to their games if at all (not like it really matters). It makes us feel special (at best). But the stuff that really turns my crank are the creative ideas (the "fluff") that actually emerge in SOME products (pathetically few, might I add).

Right now I want to find a good post-apocolypse game with an edge of fantasy perhaps. But, the market really doesn't have anything like that. If only that Rifts would go D20!:(

Christian Walker

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

Dude, have you actually played that baby? It looks frikkin hilarious. I'm thinking I have to try and run it at the next gameday, and bring back a story hour in my best L337 5p33|<.

My fave quote from the creator:

"This game is serious! There are ninjas and crocodiles!"

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
That's why "crunch" is such a waste of space. Rules-speak is simply a code so that gamer-geeks (like us) can sit and read something cryptic and know exactly what it means and how it applies to their games if at all (not like it really matters). It makes us feel special (at best). But the stuff that really turns my crank are the creative ideas (the "fluff") that actually emerge in SOME products (pathetically few, might I add).

I have felt this way about a lot of game systems, the Storyteller ones included. However, D&D or any other system doesn't have to focus primarily on combat or dice rolls. I got tired of dungeon crawls way back in 1e and started running city campaigns more and more. Sure, I still like to run a dungeon crawl every now and then, but I really prefer to free form a game.

This isn't to say I don't prepare. My major NPCs are stat'ed out. I've fleshed out quite a few good adventure hooks. I find ways to slip in antagonists, even if its the guy at the general store who wants to overcharge a PC for a mere quiver of characters. Every antagonist doesn't have to be some powerhouse. Sometimes the most effective ones are the small fry who are untouchable because of the fact they are nobodys.

That's how I avoided the boredom and reduced the amount of rules interpretations. A lot of times it's just more fun to play "in character" and leave the dice on the table.

Chingerspy

First Post
Hey man, I don't get to use half my D&D materials but I don't think I could ever part with them. Its part of my hobby, heck I don't even have a regular game going at the moment (even though I am surrounded by 6or7 gamers very close by :rolleyes: )

If after a break from D&D you still feel that you want to lose your D&D books then take them to your FLGS and give them to a kid who can only dream to afford a copy of the Core Books. Failing that give them to the church :D

Chingerspy

First Post
Oooo now there's an idea!!!

I recommend ...Before I Kill You Mr. Bond. ACE!

Or a game of Munchkin / Dork Tower etc... enough to put a smile on your face for sure!

My old regular Vampire gaming group used to have one day playing Vamps then another day during the week "silly gaming" i.e. WH40K, Munchkin, Cheapass, Claydonians, Super Giant Monster Showdown, Insectoid, etc...

Failing that look up few old Dungeon Magazine adventures from back in the day... I seem to remember one about "Crazy Fungus" always looked like a laugh to me :) It was 2nd Ed but could be easily converted, or of course just play it 2nd Ed, hey it'll be different!

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Corinth said:
This is a people problem, not a product problem.

Right, Corinth nailed this one. Problem is in the compatibility of your group. Don't force it man, but find folk that fit your play style so you can enjoy yourself. Once you do this D&D or other games can be adapted suit whatever style you enjoy...

Remove ads