• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thinking about Moxie

Have you tried/do you still drink Moxie?

• I've tried Moxie. I like it and still drink it.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I've tried Moxie and feel hollowed out as if by acid.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I haven't tried it.

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • New Englanders are weird.

Votes: 12 37.5%

awayfarer

First Post
Moxie, a soda that is only designated as such because it isn't toxic enough to be called anything else. Moxie, the lone monster to emerge from the New England wastelands. Moxie, the drink that your high school science teacher drinks, for no apparent reason.

The current title of the off topic forum got me to thinking about Moxie. I hadn't realized until this morning (after a wikipedia search) that it's a product of, and largely only consumed in New England.

My direct experience with the stuff is that, frankly, it's bitter and awful. People seem to universally revile it, and yet I think that's why it's still around. Moxie is the short, fat kid with the severe lisp. The one you keep around in your circle of friends (or sodas) because it's easy to mock. In this way, it's sort of like a medieval fool.

So how many of you have tried it? Thoughts? Mutations?

Ilium

First Post
I wish this was a multiple-choice poll so I could pick both "I tried it and thought is was OK" along with "New Englanders are weird." :)

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
When I was in college (in Quincy; 8 miles south of Boston) a group of friends/associates created a Moxie Club and cost all of 50 cents to join with additional dues to maintain the flow of battery acid.

When I tasted it the first time it was alright, but a full glass later and my gut was in rolling turmoil. The local grocery store had shelves full of it and were elated to sell it to college students because otherwise they couldn't give it away.

It was sitting so long on the shelves that the bottles of Moxie - and I am not making this up -had a layer of dust on them.

True Story.

RichCsigs

First Post
My brother bought a 12 pack of Moxie to a board game meet up recently. I've never tossed out so many full sodas in my life. I really wish I had remembered my camera that day.

Moxie was best described by my former employee Rick as "A$$ in liquid form"

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I've heard of it but don't remember ever seeing it. (I'm a midwesterner and haven't been to New England since I was little.) [I think they were still colonies back then :eek: ]
I would like to try it sometime, I guess I want to try something dangerous and I'm not into skydiving.

Remove ads