• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Thinking of Buying Pathfinder

Dargurd

First Post
Hi All,

Been playing D&D for almost 30 years in pretty much all its incarnations. I'm thinking of picking up Pathfinder as an alternative to try it out.

Which books should i pick up first and in what order ?

Thanks

Crothian

First Post
First, pick up Pathfinder. It is like the DMG and PHB in one. The only other book you really need is the Bestiary. But that can wait until you know you like and are going to run Pathfinder.

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
Hi All,

Been playing D&D for almost 30 years in pretty much all its incarnations. I'm thinking of picking up Pathfinder as an alternative to try it out.

Which books should i pick up first and in what order ?

Thanks
Then buy Kingmaker :D

Dargurd

First Post
Thanks for the replies so far - much appreciated. What about the Ultimate Books or the Dungeon Masters Guide book ?

What is Kingmaker ?

MarkAHart

Explorer
Paizo is awesome in that they offer inexpensive PDF versions of their Core Rulebook. This allows you to take a look at what is inside before necessarily investing in the physical copy.

Crothian

First Post
Thanks for the replies so far - much appreciated. What about the Ultimate Books or the Dungeon Masters Guide book ?

They are useful if you are playing and want more options. They are not needed and I'd wait on them.

What is Kingmaker ?

Piazo if you are not aware puts out adventure paths in their Pathfinder monthly magazine/book. Each is 6 books of linking adventures that covers a campaign from first level to around 16 (not all of them end at the same level). Kingmaker is one of these adventure paths that has the PCs hired to explore some wilderness and they eventually claim the land for themselves and build their own Kingdom. It seems to be the best regarded of the adventure paths and I'm having a blast playing it.

But it is not needed at all to run the game.

Qik

First Post
Yeah, checking out the SRDs should give you a good idea of which non-core books you'd like to obtain. As MarkAHart said, there are also the pdfs, which are quite reasonably priced.

For my part, I've found much to like in all of the major non-core releases thus far: the Advanced Player's Guide is a must (hooray, archetypes!), and both Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat offer some integral options, albeit more specialized. UM, for instance, provides some great archetypes for the non-core base classes, and UC is a must if you're into monks.

Remove ads