• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Third party flavorful magic items

Taralan

Explorer
Yesterday, I was again utterly disappointed by 4th edition magic items, more particularly a set of drums of panic I gave my players and which I expected to work similarly to previous edition … and then we found out all it does is give +2 dam and +2 to hit on Fear powers.. sigh … crushingly boring compared to its earlier incarnations.

I had high hopes for the upcoming Mordenkeinen book and the new uncommon and rare system, but seeing the book has been cancelled there does not seem to be a solution in sight.

Is there a good third party book of magic items filling that void and which would bring back the more flavorfoul magic to 4th edition ?

Or at the very least, what are the best such items that one can find in the Compendium, perhaps things like the Rat Form armor ? In short at the moment my expectations are pretty low, I’m looking for basically anything that does not only do simple damages or bonus but creates a new and interesting effect.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

the Jester

Legend
Adventurer's Vault is cool, but I totally know what you mean; 4e magic items are, largely, weak and boring.

IMHO the best solution is custom items.

the Jester

Legend
Well, I can give you (and whoever else wants it) a pdf of my homebrewed magic items (as well as my item generation charts)...

:)

Edit: I should mention that, obviously, a lot of this stuff is campaign referential... and some of the item rarity is based on campaign considerations as much as anything. Oh, and there are a good number of items that reference my radiation rules, since I have remnant bits of ancient tabaxi tech around that is radioactive.

Attachments

• Magic Items and charts.pdf
    344.4 KB · Views: 154

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, I can give you (and whoever else wants it) a pdf of my homebrewed magic items (as well as my item generation charts)...

Edit: I should mention that, obviously, a lot of this stuff is campaign referential... and some of the item rarity is based on campaign considerations as much as anything. Oh, and there are a good number of items that reference my radiation rules, since I have remnant bits of ancient tabaxi tech around that is radioactive.

I am VERY impressed, and will give xp as soon as I am able to again.

Taralan

Explorer

The list is very interesting indeed. Are there others who want to share their creations of magic items ?

Atomo

First Post
In my home campaign, I use the inherent bonus rule. So NO magical item has any +X thing. To compensate, they tend to do really different things and to be more flavorful to the that campaign scenario. Many of them are 2E items readapted.

My players are having fun with them, this is the most important ;)

Remove ads